Rocket City Mustang Club
Monthly Meetings
Casa Blanca
Every 3rd Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.

Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Local Group Forums > Rocket City Mustang Club

Rocket City Mustang Club The official forum for the Rocket City Mustang Club, one of the Mustang Clubs in the area

Old December 19th   #1
Greg G
Greg G
has no status.

1965 Mustang/1993 2.3 Liter conversion PAGE 1

Well the time has come to start the '65 Mustang with a '93 2300 4 cyl and A4LD trans conversion. You might ask why waste the time and effort when you could have a V-8 instead ? Well, lots of reasons. V-8, been there done that. Gas milage and reliability ? That is the main goal of this project. The '65 Mustang originally had a 170 cubic inch straight six with a 1 bbl carb. Horsepower not known off of the top of my head, but I know it isn't much. The 144 ci 4 cyl 2300 liter engine has more horsepower than the six, and it is an 8 plug, fuel injected version that I am using. Any of you that have owned Mustangs or Rangers with this engine know that it is a very strong little 4 cyl.

The '93 'Stang was hit hard in the side. It's pretty much totaled even though it will still drive down the road. All of the necessary components that I will be using survived the accident.

This is the engine. It's more dirty than greasy. 136K miles but very well maintained.

Soon I will post pictures of the other Mustang/s involved. Also the first issue I will be adressing will be the motor mounts. I have a dummy block and C-4 trans with the 2300 bell housing along with motor mounts from several year Mustangs, some Maverick motor frame brackets, Explorer 4.0 mounts and a couple of different styles of 2300 motor mounts, pads etc. Hopefully it will end up being a bolt in swap. We will all know that soon and I will post pictures of the mounts etc for identification purposes. Hey, I might even track the labor so that ALL can see how much time really gets put into restoring/modifying these Stangs.
Your comments and questions are welcome, however, please don't step on MY post. If you have a car that you have built or building, start your own post or new thread. THANKS
Old December 19th   #2
Greg G
Greg G
has no status.

1965 Mustang/1993 2.3 Liter conversion PAGE 2

After several minutes of scrounging around in the "bone yard" I came up with a couple of parts that may or may not be used to "fit" the engine and trans in to the '65 Mustang body.

This is a picture of an early '70's Maverick V-8 motor mount bracket. This piece bolts to the reinforcement on the shock tower. This part will probably be used in the installation of the engine. But we won't know that for sure until it is all bolted together

This C-4 came out of a 1974 4 cyl Pinto. C-4 trans with a bellhousing that bolts to the 2300 . I need one more of these transmissions if someone has one laying around.

I will be using the C-4 bolted to the 2300 in the '65 to come up with the fore and aft location of the drivetrain. Make sure you use a 1965 transmission mount turned the correct direction when doing this.

More info and pictures soon. I should have all of the mounts and "dummy" block rounded up through the holidays
Old December 20th   #3
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

when you get this thing going be sure and dont pull out in front of any yugo`s or fast moving ford festiva`s
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th   #4
Greg G
Greg G
has no status.

1965 Mustang/1993 2.3 Liter conversion PAGE 3

Today I had a little time to put into extracting the ECM and connector part of the ECM harness from the '93 Mustang. The car was hit so hard in the right pillar post that I couldn't remove the computer the "normal" way. I used a sawzall, cutoff tool and a couple of couple of hammers one which was a BFH. I ended up cutting on the outer body to get to the ECM. I started out with a sawzall and quickly cut through the ECM ground wire and the rear brake line. I'm going to have to lengthen the groundwire anyway, and I won't be reusing the brake line.

cuttiing with the side cutter or cutoff tool.

I think I got it.

Out it comes with no damage

Main ECM connector

Computer and harness on cowl
I now have the ECM and harness laying on the cowl connected including the power supply line temporarily running through the busted windshield.

Beginning to untape harness. I'm using zip ties to hold everything together. Flip them over and they are reusable.

Time: At least 2 hours
Weather: Good
Degree of difficulty: 3
Blood: Visible but not measurable
Old December 21st   #5
Greg G
Greg G
has no status.

1965 Mustang/1993 2.3 Liter conversion PAGE 4

As usual there are things that will always hold up a project. Seems that it's time to buy more camera batteries and the soldering iron that I have been using for 5 years just doesn't want to get hot enough to solder two wires together. I managed to repair the ECM ground wire enough that it is hooked back up. I reconnected the battery and started the engine right up. Apparently I havn't disconnected anything important YET ! I am going to take the '93 home to sort out the wiring, It is very time consuming (more time than I have at work) and it's the kind of task that can be worked on on a Saturday or Sunday in between loads of clothes. By the end of the weekend I should have the '65 up on two back wheels, It is at home at the moment but needs to come to the shop for the first round of sandblasting and some metal replacement. It was hit hard in the left quarter damaging the rocker, quarter panel... and before the car came to a full stop hit a telephone pole square in the tailight panel OUCH ! But overall the frame is in good shape and the rust is repairable. (Should have some pics to post Sunday or Tuesday).
There will be several leftover parts available as the project moves along. The '93 has a really nice left quarter of a car assembly should anyone wreck the left rear of there '87 to '93, $150 and up depending on how much of it you need. '93 instruments availale after the ECM harness mods are complete. A stripped '93 streeing column. I was digging around in the shed early last evening and came across a pair of V-8 axles for an '87 to '93 if anyone needs any. I also have some 3.00 8 inch gears that I need to do some trading with someone that might have some 3.70 somethings. The final drive ratio of the overdrive trans is .7 and when you mutiply that by 3.7 you get a 2.59 final drive ratio. 4.11's would be OK too it would work out to 2.877 final drive ratio which might be even better for the little 4 cyl 2.3 liter. 140 ci (I made a mistake the other day and called it a 144. The 144 was a straight six engine in the 144, 170, 200, 250 series).
Well that's all for today unless Santa Claus drops some batteries out of his sled as he flies over to get ready to start Christmas in Japan. Everyone have a Happy Holiday and be safe on the roads too !
Old December 22nd   #6
Greg G
Greg G
has no status.

I'm looking for......

I thought that I had 3 Maverick motor brackets but only have one. I anyone has the mate to the bracket that I already have, let me know.
Old December 22nd   #7
Greg G
Greg G
has no status.

1965 Mustang/1993 2.3 Liter conversion PAGE 5

I'm doing a little internet research on the 2.3 liter engine and electonics today. Here are a few links to some info:
History of the "Pinto" engine
1993 Mustang ICM & IRCM Component Locations
1987 Mustang Fuel Pump Relay
Mustang 2.3 liter Timing Belt Alignment
Old December 28th   #8
Greg G
Greg G
has no status.

1965 Mustang/1993 2.3 Liter conversion PAGE 6

I was able to take a few pictures of the '65 Mustang yesterday. It's hard to get good pics with a $25- Argus camera, but here they are anyway.

The car was hit hard in the left side. If it wasn't for the fact that 1965 Mustang coupes didn't have torque boxes, the front frame rail would have been damaged. It looks good and straight, it just need a repair piece up front where the bumper bracket bolts to it

The passenger side rocker and front frame rail are in good shape, again it needs the repair panel where the bumper bolts to it

It's possible that the Mustang was hit in the drivers side hard causing it to spin around then hit a telephone pole going backwards. It might have even broke the pole causing it to collapse on to the roof. The rear frame rails are pulled in towards each other. The drivers side rear frame rail may need to be replaced and for sure the trunk cross brace and taillamp panel need replaced

Part of the right quarter is cut away. It was already like this when it was acquired. This would have been called a "parts car" several years back. Someone probably needed part of the quarter to fix another Mustang

More piictures soon as the project progresses. And hopefully better pictures too !
Old January 8th   #9
Angliagasser
Angliagasser
has no status.

2.3 in early Mustang

Don't listen to anyone that says do not put a 2300 (2.3) into a early Mustang, you will not have any power. Here is something they do not think about. A 65-6 mustang weighs 2580 lbs with a 6 cyl in it. A 90 Mustang weighs around 3100 lbs. That is a 520 lb weight differences. I had a 81 Mustang with a 2.3 N/A in it slightly built that got around 25+ mpg and there was no stock V8 or a V8 with headers and a intake that could beat it. Use to piss those guys off.
Back in 2007 I started building a 66 Mustang to be my daughters first car. We call it GT140T. I wanted something that was old, but I wanted it to get good mileage also. So I bought a 66 Mustang Sprint from a friend, 6cyl auto Pony interior. The only difference is I put a 86 SVO Mustang 2.3 Turbo with a A4LD trany in it and after I got done with it it has 300 rwhp and gets 28 +/- MPG. The car has been featured in Modified Mustang and Ford Magazine and wins awards at every big car show we have taken it too. GoodGuys, Portland Roadster Show, Mustangs Roundup, the largest gathering of Mustangs anywhere, just to name a few.

To get the 2.3 Turbo in a 65-6 mustang though I had to remove the shock towers to do so. Here are a few pictures of it. If you enter 66 mustang 2.3 Turbo in any internet search it pops up. As far as I know it is the only 65-6 Mustang out there with a 2.3 Turbo in it. I have seen several 67-8, but their engine compartment is a few inches bigger then a 65-6.

If you go to Photobucket ( Here is the link http://s259.photobucket.com/user/ang...sort=3&page=45 ) There are 850+ pictures of the build, along with the magazine spread. Good luck with your build!
Angliagasser is offline   Reply With Quote