Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Cafe 302 Car and Truck Show
Calendar: Events Calendar
GetSOM
Huntsville Car Scene Staff

March 1st to October 1st 05:00 PM to 09:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: Cafe 302, 2700 Winchester Road, Huntsville, AL 35811

From the flyer:

Registration is $10 and is open to all. Judging is participant judged. This is a nice cruise-in that occurs the 2nd Saturday of each month, good food, people and music. Trophies awarded for the winners in each class, plus great door prizes, and a 50/50 drawing!

Old April 16th   #181
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ View Post
...and didn't enter because of the way they do judging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 BAD Z View Post
This is true and the main reason I didn't. This show also caters to the older cars and muscle which is fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray View Post
I hear that
I think they've completely changed the judging format since I saw participant judging forms in the cars that were registered.

The judging at this show has been discussed to death over the years (just do some searches here on HCS). This show doesn't specifically cater to any one type of car--it's just that's who mostly showing in this market overall, outnumbering newer cars 10:1. If the newer cars were focused on going to shows, then they could easily take over an event like this. And Speakerbox meet shows that this is easily possible.

I think the reason that this doesn't happen is boredom and brokedom, lol. After 2hrs the newer cars left. It's not that they went home, but they went to do something else. I think the attention span is less because the energy to do different things is more. At the same time, gas money is about all there is--not money for gas, a meal, and registration.

And I've seen this lack of energy in my own life. At the end of a day like this, I used to head out to the informal events until 4am, and then finally come home and crash after 20hrs. I could then get up after 10hrs and be fine. But these days if I do that, my body is wrecked for at least 3 days. It's the aging process I guess.
Old April 16th   #182
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

I didn't pay to get judged. Is it a car show or is it a cruise in. I'm not into car shows except for Ardmore and Priceville, Both are unique venues(not ashphalt parking lots or bare shadeless open fields) I enjoy this event as long as its car show entry optional. I spent my entry fee on some chicken fingers and fries for me and the boy!!
Old April 16th   #183
BamaMopars
BamaMopars
Mopar or No car!

I liked the show and the food wasn't bad either.
BamaMopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th   #184
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjohns View Post
I didn't pay to get judged. Is it a car show or is it a cruise in. I enjoy this event as long as its car show entry optional. I spent my entry fee on some chicken fingers and fries for me and the boy!!
By title, it's a cruise-in--but technically it's a car show since it has a registration free, door prizes, and trophies. Confusing, eh?

Normally, parking with the show cars isn't a problem since it's just a few cars doing so (like you seen in the past), but when over 50% of the cars out there were not registered and cars that would have entered did not enter because it looked full, that's where it becomes an issue.

I think the idea that Marsha talked about a few years ago really applies in this case--charge a nominal $5 to allow non-judged cars to participate in the show sans awards/prizes/etc. Small price to pay for no door dings.
Old April 17th   #185
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

I think 302 is fine. It will get smaller as the year goes on. All the monthly shows do. Everyone is suffering from cabin fever right now but it's not quite warm enough for the true summer fun. May, June etc ppl will start heading to the lake, the beach, have cook outs etc which takes from the monthly events.

I've driven by 302 in July and August when there was maybe 10 cars out there. So I doubt with having 40-50 this weekend (registered or not) they won't care. A lot of cars will come out next month just because of the amount this month. Yet others won't make it for whatever reasons.

Common sense isn't a common virtue.

Link to the Nissan/Infiniti group page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154828527932506/
1 BAD Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th   #186
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
I think 302 is fine. It will get smaller as the year goes on. All the monthly shows do. Everyone is suffering from cabin fever right now but it's not quite warm enough for the true summer fun. May, June etc ppl will start heading to the lake, the beach, have cook outs etc which takes from the monthly events.

I've driven by 302 in July and August when there was maybe 10 cars out there. So I doubt with having 40-50 this weekend (registered or not) they won't care. A lot of cars will come out next month just because of the amount this month. Yet others won't make it for whatever reasons.
I'd rather account for the high demand than think that demand will taper off. The evening events have actually had an upswing of attendance in the last two years because of how hot it has been during the day in the summer months. Now, that same heat when it lingers into the evening, will even keep people away from evening events, as well as the threat of afternoon/evening thundershowers.

The number of enthusiasts continues to grow in the area. And as they find out about the vibrant enthusiast scene we have here, the events will continues to slowly grow in attendance. I don't think this issue will be going away so easily.
Old April 17th   #187
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
I'd rather account for the high demand than think that demand will taper off. The evening events have actually had an upswing of attendance in the last two years because of how hot it has been during the day in the summer months. Now, that same heat when it lingers into the evening, will even keep people away from evening events, as well as the threat of afternoon/evening thundershowers.

The number of enthusiasts continues to grow in the area. And as they find out about the vibrant enthusiast scene we have here, the events will continues to slowly grow in attendance. I don't think this issue will be going away so easily.
I've been overly active over the last 5 years in the car scene. There is a definite pattern to the activities. Early on, March, April and May, no matter the time show the most activity. June, July, August it starts to fall off some esp day shows like you said. The heat is the main thing. But add in all these ppl that go do "summer stuff" are usually to tired for night shows. By the time September and October roll around, it's cooled off and ppl have missed car shows and attendance picks up a bit before pretty much going dead in Novermber.

I mean, it hasn't failed in 5 years for this exact pattern.

I agree the scene is growing again and I'm thankful for that. However, it's just plain human that ppl do other things in the summer besides stand around and talk about cars lol.

Overall I'm mainly saying it will taper off from what we saw this weekend. The July show this year maybe bigger then last years... but it won't be 50-60 strong again. (I hope it is but I don't see the pattern failing)

Common sense isn't a common virtue.

Link to the Nissan/Infiniti group page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154828527932506/
1 BAD Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th   #188
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
I've been overly active over the last 5 years in the car scene. There is a definite pattern to the activities. Early on, March, April and May, no matter the time show the most activity. June, July, August it starts to fall off some esp day shows like you said. The heat is the main thing. But add in all these ppl that go do "summer stuff" are usually to tired for night shows. By the time September and October roll around, it's cooled off and ppl have missed car shows and attendance picks up a bit before pretty much going dead in Novermber.

I mean, it hasn't failed in 5 years for this exact pattern.

I agree the scene is growing again and I'm thankful for that. However, it's just plain human that ppl do other things in the summer besides stand around and talk about cars lol.
Yep, I couldn't agree with you more. You've nailed the pattern, and the only place it's even changing is where September and October are now slammed is because the heat has almost completely killed the summer events, so they get rescheduled in these months.
Quote:
Overall I'm mainly saying it will taper off from what we saw this weekend. The July show this year maybe bigger then last years... but it won't be 50-60 strong again. (I hope it is but I don't see the pattern failing)
I agree ghostrider that the pattern is full (had to use that line!), but I think the number of people in the pattern is increasing. I mean, just look at the Speakerbox meet. Do you think that could have ever happened back in the days that you and I remember?
Old May 11th   #189
VR4Rob
VR4Rob
has no status.

Who's coming out tomorrow? Dani and I will be there
VR4Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th   #190
SaabStory2.0T
SaabStory2.0T
has no status.

I'll be coming out. Hopefully by that time tmrw i'll have a working radio.
SaabStory2.0T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th   #191
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR4Rob View Post
Who's coming out tomorrow? Dani and I will be there
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabStory2.0T View Post
I'll be coming out. Hopefully by that time tmrw i'll have a working radio.
In the rain? I'm going to stay home and work on photos that should have been published weeks ago.
Old June 8th   #192
VR4Rob
VR4Rob
has no status.

Bump! Weather looks awesome for tomorrow
VR4Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th   #193
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

5 year reunion tomorrow boooooooo
HPEVOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th   #194
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPEVOX View Post
5 year reunion tomorrow boooooooo
5yr? I didn't know they had these.
Old June 8th   #195
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

Quote:
5yr? I didn't know they had these.
Yeah everyone has 5yr class reunions around here lol
Old June 8th   #196
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPEVOX View Post
Yeah everyone has 5yr class reunions around here lol
I must have missed mine then. I graduated from Athens High sometime in the early 1990s, lol.
Old June 9th   #197
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

Anything going on afterwards?? I'll be in Guntersville for a while but may ride out there later.
Old June 10th   #198
AWDani
AWDani
is in full on mod mode.

Great turn out and the weather was lovely. Looking forward to next month!

Tomei Titanium Xpreme - AMS downpipe - AMS test pipe - Cobb Stage 2 - Rally Armor - Gram Lights 57D
AWDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th   #199
HDP 7
HDP 7
has rotary powah!!!

Send a message via AIM to HDP 7
Quote:
I must have missed mine then. I graduated from Athens High sometime in the early 1990s, lol.

I think after 20 you start having them evey 5 years... my 25th is not till 2014.
87 Mazda RX7 TII (drag car)

"When it happens I won't even notice... I'll be too busy looking good!"
HDP 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th   #200
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDP 7 View Post
I think after 20 you start having them evey 5 years... my 25th is not till 2014.
we have them every five years, this was my first 5 year lol. But we out in the country, small town. Diff than city folk lol