Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old August 4th   #1
ohblackwater77
ohblackwater77
has no status.

Old people access to car shows

Quick question for you ladies and gentlemen. I have an elderly father who I love to take to car shows. Problem is that he really doesn't have the ability to walk all around them. Too proud to get a handicapped sticker. Do car shows generally allow people to "do a drive through" for someone elderly who can just sit in the car and ride through the car shows or not. I've even thought about buying a cheap golf cart to ride him through the shows with, but I don't know if that's allowable either. IDEALLY, I'd just like to be able to drive through the show and let him look at the cars from the comfort of my car.

Thoughts? Ideas?
ohblackwater77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th   #2
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Usually most shows do not allow any motorized vehicles around the show cars - like golf carts or scooters or even bar stools that have small motors(really!). Now an actual wheelchair may be allowed. Would have to check with the promoters or club that is putting on the event. Flyers should have contact numbers on them.

One show that is an exception is the Tennessee Valley event at Pt Mallard in Decatur in July, which was rained out this year - grounds too wet and soft. Because of the large area, there are golf carts.

Cruise-ins are set up for cars to drive thru - any cars. These cruise-ins are usually held in parking lots or like downtown Decatur on the 3rd Fridays of the months.
coupemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th   #3
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Downtown Decatur - should add - after the barricades are set up, cannot drive thru with a car, but can have a wheelchair.
Old August 5th   #4
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

One more note: On the 1st Saturdays, if Around the Square cruise-in in Limestone is still happening from 3pm to 6pm, I would think you can drive a car around the square to look at the event cars.

Tags
car show handicap, elderly, handicap access