Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Old July 29th   #1
Sydracer
Sydracer
has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Sydracer
Question Southern Family Market in Meridianville is Closing August 12th

I was in Griner's grocery store yesterday in Hazel Green. The girls working were talking to a lady in front of me. They were saying that the Southern Family Market in Meridianville is closing. I called and verified it. They were talking abt the ones who had left Griners to go to work there don't have a job now. The woman in line in front of me was talking about the huge discounts and how hardly anything was left in the store.

At the last meet the Manager didn't give a clue, at least to me, that this was happening.
Is anyone else aware of this? If so, are there any plans or suggestions for another place to meet?
Sydracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th   #2
Baseball10x
Baseball10x
has no status.
Hasn't Checked Email

we could meet at kroger/kmart parking lot on the beltline.. its a very good location..
Baseball10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th   #3
BamaRocker
BamaRocker
has no status.

YES IT IS TRUE...they r closing...

I say keep meeting in same place...So far no one is planning to take it over..you would have wide open parking lot....
BamaRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th   #4
Sydracer
Sydracer
has no status.

I agree on meeting at the same location. We could get with Movie Gallery or Dominos & see if it's still cool to meet up there.
I don't know the arrangements that were made with SFM. I would think since they blocked off a section, etc that there may be some liability or something, so I would imagine we would need someone's go ahead?!
I live nearby and could help in getting or keeping permission if needed.
Old July 30th   #5
Dusty
Dusty
has no status.

Most of the dry goods are being packed up and trucked to another store somewhere. Meat, produce etc. are good deals and Wednesday they put everything left in the store on sale.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Well, I was hoping this wasn't true. But I just got off the phone with them and will be talking to the manager later, but it is true. This store location will be closing.

And so, the Huntsville Car Scene cruise-in will be needing a new title sponsor to step forward. Either that, or we'll have to move to a new location. Post your thoughts.
Old July 31st   #7
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Send a message via AIM to JayMack75 Send a message via Yahoo to JayMack75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydracer
I agree on meeting at the same location. We could get with Movie Gallery or Dominos & see if it's still cool to meet up there.
I don't know the arrangements that were made with SFM. I would think since they blocked off a section, etc that there may be some liability or something, so I would imagine we would need someone's go ahead?!
I live nearby and could help in getting or keeping permission if needed.
I think maybe Movie Gallery or one of the other stores may go for it as well. Not too bad of an idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir
Well, I was hoping this wasn't true. But I just got off the phone with them and will be talking to the manager later, but it is true. This store location will be closing.

And so, the Huntsville Car Scene cruise-in will be needing a new title sponsor to step forward. Either that, or we'll have to move to a new location. Post your thoughts.
See above comment. You know...it was mighty crappy of them to do this. I assume they didn't say a word about it to you judging by your comment. It looks like they would have given you some notice so you would have been able to let everyone in attendance at the last one know where it would be moved to. That's just bad business.
Old July 31st   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMack75
You know...it was mighty crappy of them to do this. I assume they didn't say a word about it to you judging by your comment. It looks like they would have given you some notice so you would have been able to let everyone in attendance at the last one know where it would be moved to. That's just bad business.
I don't think it was like that. I don't think they even knew. It came about pretty suddenly, even to the current management and employees. I believe it was a corporate decision and not something the store was involved with.

But no matter how it happenned, there is less than a month to find a new sponsor.
Old August 1st   #9
Sydracer
Sydracer
has no status.

As I said before, since I live in the area I can talk to Movie Gallery or KFC, etc., and see what we can do. I just need to know what they were approached with when the deal was made.Another place to consider is Kmart on North Pkwy. They definately need business and the have a huge parking lot. They would also have some automotive give aways.

If all else fails, how about HH Gregg parking lot?? The Highway would make it pretty accessible to most of us. Eddie is the Manager of the Firestone beside it, but their parking lot is too small.......but that gives me a way in the door ! They would also have buggies to partition off the area.
There's a slew of businesses in there.

Just suggestions & trying to help out with some legwork.

Wait, it just dawned on me.....
Hey Jay.....sell all of those cars on your lot! It would be perfect!!
LOL!! We could sit around and eat donuts!!
Regards,
Kelly
Old August 1st   #10
Sydracer
Sydracer
has no status.

Another thought is Griners in Hazel Green. They are privately owned and have a good size parking lot. It's also not much further up the Hwy than SFM.

Let me know if I can help in any way.
Regards,
Kelly
Old August 1st   #11
blwright
blwright
is about to be stomping on a 6.2L to roll 35's. :o)

Send a message via AIM to blwright Send a message via Yahoo to blwright
The old old K-mart on 20 in Madison. The big Hibbett on 72. The Burlington on 72.

If I want any of your lip, I'll jiggle my zipper.
blwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

The problem is not the parking lot, but getting the businesses involved.

SFM had Buffalo Rock providing a trailer for free drinks. They also provided the free food to registered cars and the door prizes. SFM provided staff for the event. HCS provided the event insurance and promotion, but was reimbursed for the insurance. Devine productions donated sound equipment for the event.

This is the minimum type of deal that's needed to get this started. The benefit for the business is that for every registered car, around 10 specatators come, which associates their business name with the event. Their business name is also on the event listing at HCS, which gets thousands of people looking every month.
Old August 1st   #13
Gilgamesh
Gilgamesh
has no status.
Hasn't Checked Email

there is a wide open win dixie parking off moores mill road before cafe 302...winn dixie has moved out, but movie gallery, rite aid, HONG KONG, and a few other stores are still there. i have used this lot for drifting at midnight its deserted.
Gilgamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st   #14
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

cruise-in locations

Many think because there is a large parking lot, the cruisers can use with only one tenant's permission. But I have found, and been told by the police, that if we want to use a location, you need the permission of all tenants & stores that will be opened during the time of the cruise-in; and it helps to have the permission of the owner of the property. If only one tenant says no, then you cannot be there; that one tenant can call the police and the event will be shut down immediately. (I know by experience!) It is not as easy as one would think to find the right location, get permission from all, get sponsors, get door prizes, etc., in order to put on a cruise-in. But never give up trying. I am still working on situations in Decatur for our monthly cruise-ins. Marsha
coupemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st   #15
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Some developments have come along today. I have talked with the kmart mentioned earlier and they will allow use of their parking lot, but that's about all the assistance they can give. Their lot is large enough to easily hold 100+ cars.

Sydracer is working on another location and we'll know something soon on that.

I'll post a list of everything we need for the HCS Cruise-in once I get out of this driving school course.

Last edited by Samir; August 2nd at 08:07 AM.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd   #16
LagoGarda
LagoGarda
is back from trip to Lago Garda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir
Some developments have come along today. I have talked with the kmart mentioned earlier and they will allow use of their parking lot, but that's about all the assistance they can give. Their lot is large enough to easily hold 100+ cars.

Sydracer is working on another location and we'll know something soon on that location.

I'll post a list of everything we need for the HCS Cruise-in once I get out of this driving school course.
TAC school I'm sure!!! Star Market is right down the road also
LagoGarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd   #17
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagoGarda
TAC school I'm sure!!! Star Market is right down the road also
I wish. It was the standard 4 hour course they give in Athens. No biggie, just some time. You play, you pay. But since I save almost 1000 hours by speeding a year, I can give back a few once in a while.

Star Market is waaay too tiny for how large this event can grow to. I'd hate to move again once we find a new place.

Here's a list of elements needed for this event to work:
  • Location able to hold 100+ cars with good lighting and driveability
  • Liability insurance for the event
  • Music/PA system
  • Door prizes
  • Organizers for traffic direction/MC/food/etc.
  • Free food and drink for registered participants
Any thoughts, ideas, and suggestions welcome. There's only 2 weeks to get all this hammered out before the next event.

Last edited by Samir; August 2nd at 08:15 AM.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote