Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old September 22nd   #1
IRAM-Z
IRAM-Z
has no status.

Send a message via AIM to IRAM-Z
Engine Machine Shop?

Hey Guys, I have an Army Buddy here that is new to the area and has a 88 Camaro that smokes, He is looking for a good machine shop to get it reworked. He wants to do some of the work himself, so he will pull the motor and reinstall it. Any places around here that does that sort of work?
Old September 22nd   #2
Shaler
Shaler
is whoring some posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRAM-Z
Hey Guys, I have an Army Buddy here that is new to the area and has a 88 Camaro that smokes, He is looking for a good machine shop to get it reworked. He wants to do some of the work himself, so he will pull the motor and reinstall it. Any places around here that does that sort of work?

You Camaro is teh hottness. Only third gen I've seen lately that kicks ass.
Shaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

There's a few machine shops that are in town, but I don't have any personal experience with any.
Old September 22nd   #4
DakotaRacer71
DakotaRacer71
has no status.
Hasn't Checked Email

i am forced to endorce R&R Machine Shop. they do all our engines for the our racecars and they are about to do mine for the Dakota..
DakotaRacer71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th   #5
mtill58513
mtill58513
Not working for the man any more...wait that's a bit of a bad thing isn't it?

Are there any more other than R&R and Huntsville Engine? I know a guy who's going to get some work done on his 360 short block Mopar and Huntsville Engine was going to be pretty expensive.
Old October 6th   #6
BamaMopars
BamaMopars
Mopar or No car!

Both R&R and Hsv engines are high. R&R wouldn't hardly give me the time of day. My dad deals with them but I can't get nothing out of them. Southern cylinder head I think is doing machine work now.
BamaMopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Good machine work is hard to come by in Huntsville. Machine work on my buddy Clint's old Toyota 22r was next to impossible to even get to an acceptable level, and nowhere near proper Toyota specs.
Old October 7th   #8
Outlaw77lt
Outlaw77lt
is looking for an s10 or '82-92 camaro body

H&N Machine is on Washington st, the shop is in the rear of Pruitt Radiator. The man's name is JD Helton. He done all the machine work on my sbc in my z28 last year. The guy was a machinist for Napa for 20+yrs before going into business for himself.

He will do just the machining all the way to complete assembly, however the customer wants. I did all the assembly on mine myself tho.

I was very pleased with the work, got it all back in 1 week ( very quick for machine work around here ), customer service and attitude was great. His ph# is 256-532-3955
Outlaw77lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th   #9
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Chip had R&R build his 460. They are good and stand by their work. And because of this they are a little pricey.

Then there is Holts Automotive in Hartselle. They did some work on our 428 cobra jet. They did a good job and not as expensive as R&R, if I remember correctly. They will do as little or as much as the customer wants. And also stands by their work. 256-773-8804
coupemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th   #10
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw77lt View Post
H&N Machine is on Washington st, the shop is in the rear of Pruitt Radiator. The man's name is JD Helton. He done all the machine work on my sbc in my z28 last year. The guy was a machinist for Napa for 20+yrs before going into business for himself.
Yep, Joe who bought Pruitt Radiator a few years back saw a need for a good machinst in Huntsville and helped start that business. Joe was one of my best customers when I had the 1-800-Radiator and is a great businessman and mentor. You'll even see him on here from time-to-time.
Old October 7th   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupemama View Post
Then there is Holts Automotive in Hartselle. They did some work on our 428 cobra jet. They did a good job and not as expensive as R&R, if I remember correctly. They will do as little or as much as the customer wants. And also stands by their work. 256-773-8804
Good to know! I think the outlying cities have some great work going on that no one really knows about. They need to all get on here.
Old October 8th   #12
b.a.king
b.a.king
old,fat grumpy

j d helton has a very good rep. holts in hartselle are long time friends,do good work. and the best kept secret in north ala. gordon byrd in decatur.
b.a.king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th   #13
mailman
mailman
uses spellcheck to avoid looking stupid

If you want it done right then R&R is hard to beat. I have found them to be no more expensive than any other shop that does quality work. Huntsville Engine thinks they are too good to fool with a street driven car. If you don't have big bucks and clout they ignore you.It getting really hard to find machine shops in this area anymore. I guess most people just replace instead of rebuild now.
Old October 9th   #14
b.a.king
b.a.king
old,fat grumpy

dang,i completly forgot about dennis mitchell on south parkway. former world record holder drag racer.very good work

Last edited by b.a.king; October 9th at 05:56 PM.
Old October 9th   #15
mailman
mailman
uses spellcheck to avoid looking stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a.king View Post
dang,i completly forgot about dennis mitchell on south parkway. former world record holder drag racer.very good work
Does he have a complete shop capable of everything?
Old October 10th   #16
b.a.king
b.a.king
old,fat grumpy

i'm pretty sure he does. he does very good work.
Old April 8th   #17
abyars
abyars
has no status.

Quote:
j d helton has a very good rep. holts in hartselle are long time friends,do good work. and the best kept secret in north ala. gordon byrd in decatur.
Wow, Gordon Byrd is right around the corner from my house. So Gordon is a good shop to use then?
abyars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd   #18
b.a.king
b.a.king
old,fat grumpy

sorry took so long to get back. Yes Gordon is a GREAT shop to use. and a all-around good guy.
Old April 23rd   #19
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Does he have a complete shop capable of everything?
Yes
Old April 23rd   #20
abyars
abyars
has no status.

Quote:
sorry took so long to get back. Yes Gordon is a GREAT shop to use. and a all-around good guy.
Thanks. I'll try to get in touch with him. I called a number I found on the internet and left a voicemail on an answering machine. No one has called me back. Do you have any contact information for him?
abyars is offline   Reply With Quote