Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old August 16th   #1
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

Registering at a car show

ok so this has kinda started to bug me and i love to argue so here's the question

ive seen many ppl on this forum as well as others and different car clubs that they arent "trophy whores" or in it to win it or whatever... so my question is for those who actually do go to shows and register and dont care about trophies... why register? if you dont care to win or get a trophy then why not just pull up and park and show off and save your money? if its a benefit car show, just make a donation and dont put a slip on your car

bottom line to me is... if you register, then you must want to win or hope to win... so why bull s***?

i enter and hope to win or place... if i dont, im a bit upset with me and my car and know i need to do something better for next time and i do love those little pieces of plastic you others claim to not care about

just seems to be a double standard to say your not a trophy whore or dont care if you win or lose but still register

Common sense isn't a common virtue.

Link to the Nissan/Infiniti group page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154828527932506/
1 BAD Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th   #2
Munchie
Munchie
is purging all the poo out of his life!

Send a message via AIM to Munchie
It goes down to respect for others and the people putting on the show. If you pull your car into a show area and don't register then you are taking up a potential spot that someone who may want to register and show could have. Now most of us have been criminal to doing this. I have done it at shows that had low attendance or very large areas for the show. However I always made sure to not bring my car into the show area until I thought there were going to be no others showing up to register or whatnot. But if it is a cruise in like A&W, Jeffs, 302, etc...that have low entry fees and usually high attendance then I will not even bother to pull into the show area.
I don't have show cars, but it is nice to show off your work every now and then. Sometimes I will accually pay the registration fees for some of the cruis ins so that I can show off some of the things I have done to my car/truck recently, but absolutely not expecting to place in the top 10 or whatever. You know me and most others on this site do also, and you know I don't care two craps about a trophy. I don't build show cars/trucks. I build clean Daily Drivers. Cars that are modded to the point that they could become show cars, but made more for the ins and outs of daily driving. So for me, I really don't care about the throphies, but I still register sometime.
04 Chevy Trailblazer EXT-family ride
06 Joyner 650 Sand Spider-The Buggy
68 VW Rail Buggy-CNC rail conversion 44" Rear Paddles
85 19ft Bayliner Capri
Munchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
...so my question is for those who actually do go to shows and register and dont care about trophies... why register?
Even though I don't register, I think I may have an answer to this question.

A lot of shows are now going to a 'door prize' format along with trophies and awards. And usually the door prizes are worth as much, if not more, than the registration fee. So, registration is a chance to get stuff at a great discount, possibly get a trophy for free, and a chance to hang out with a lot of like-minded people.
Old August 16th   #4
Nevr2loS10
Nevr2loS10
has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Nevr2loS10
yes competition is nice and there is nothing wrong with that but....trophies dont matter! END OF STORY! If you are in this just for some POS plastic car on a rod with a fake marble base, that you can put in your living room, shop or lay out in front of your car at teh next title max show, then you are trully missing the big picture here. lets take my club for instance, Relaxed Atmosphere...one of the top 3 clubs in the world for any genre of custom vehicles, chapters in almost every state along with Japan, Australia, Canada, more feature and covers of the most popular magazines, and 2008 Mini Truckin show of the year to our credit...noone really goes to compete we are all brothers in this game and when we go to shows its a "family reunion" of sorts. You see local shows really mean nothing, they are judged in most cases by some goof who really has no idea what hes looking at, its usually just some hillbilly looking for shiny rims and a paint job. Until you get on the major scale of shows where they have hand picked judges that are experts in the field, then you can build bragging rights with trophies. I used to feel the same way, trophies were a big deal, and ive been butt hurt going home empty handed a few times, but when you start getting out there meeting a lot of great new friends from across the nation and sometimes the world, have lots of crazy fun times at shows, and all just there cause you share a common bond and love to show off what your brought.

I take my truck to local shows, I pay the entry fee and dont whine about it..why? because I like to show off my truck, I like to show off a lot of crazy custom work that your "average" person dont see on a daily basis. I love to answer questions about how things are done, or how high it lifts or whatever the case is, because its fun to educate someone about your passion. If you didnt know anything about custom cars or trucks, and you happen to stumble upon a show one day, think about how your mind would be blown away by all the new stuff you would see, and if me being at a show and someone sees my truck and decides they want to build one just like it AWESOME! because thats how I got into this, by seeing trucks in magazines and seeing people I wanted to be like..and that leads me to my point, doing what you want to do for your pleasure and noone elses, im just in it for the good times and best friends....the end lol

Body dropped 84 s10 and 20s for sale hit me up if interested
Nevr2loS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th   #5
Munchie
Munchie
is purging all the poo out of his life!

Send a message via AIM to Munchie
^^^Yeah That Too!lol^^^
04 Chevy Trailblazer EXT-family ride
06 Joyner 650 Sand Spider-The Buggy
68 VW Rail Buggy-CNC rail conversion 44" Rear Paddles
85 19ft Bayliner Capri
Munchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th   #6
LagoGarda
LagoGarda
is back from trip to Lago Garda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir
Even though I don't register, I think I may have an answer to this question.

A lot of shows are now going to a 'door prize' format along with trophies and awards. And usually the door prizes are worth as much, if not more, than the registration fee. So, registration is a chance to get stuff at a great discount, possibly get a trophy for free, and a chance to hang out with a lot of like-minded people.
door prizes!! I have an air compressor in the garage I won as a door prize...only 1 car trophy ever...Hooter's a couple years back...did get a chili trophy yesterday though.
LagoGarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th   #7
Spook
Spook
has no status.
Huntsville Car Scene Site Elder

little plastic awards are fun when I first started , ( 2 decades) now
I have boxs of them things, and they don't mean c*&p
most of the time I 'forget' to turn in my reg form, ( but I pay my entrance fee)
unless it is for a client. bottom line
I just like hanging with my friends and seeing what they have been up to in the last year.

"burnt,scarred,bloodied,greasie hands
............it's a zen thing........."-Spook the elder
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...ir/vwheart.gif
Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevr2loS10
yes competition is nice and there is nothing wrong with that but....trophies dont matter! END OF STORY! If you are in this just for some POS plastic car on a rod with a fake marble base, that you can put in your living room, shop or lay out in front of your car at teh next title max show, then you are trully missing the big picture here. You see local shows really mean nothing, they are judged in most cases by some goof who really has no idea what hes looking at, its usually just some hillbilly looking for shiny rims and a paint job.
Tell us how you really feel, lol.
Old August 17th   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagoGarda
...did get a chili trophy yesterday though.
And a well-deserved one at that!

I ate 5 bowls of chili that day, one of each entrant.
Old August 17th   #10
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Reasons to Register (besides the awards)

First, we enjoy building our rides and we really enjoy cruisin in our rides as much as we can. And sure it is great to show them off. It is great to hear good things about the rides that you love and spend so much time and money into. But -

We pay the fee to get in because (just a few good reasons):

1. First and foremost, it is for a charity and good cause. If several events are happening the same weekend, we usually attend the ones that give the proceeds to a local charity.
2. To support the club that is putting on the event.
3. For the music, games, door prizes, cash, 50/50, and other event activities.
4. To get in to park with all our car friends and their rides, to be a part of the event.
5. We will not let our rides sit in a parking lot with daily drivers and get knicks in our doors from others who do not care, so we pay to park inside and be with our rides.

We have many times paid the entrance fee and then do not go to the registration desk; do not get a number. Even if given a number, put under the seat.

There have been many events that we attended that have no entry fee; that you just need to register if you want to compete and for the awards. Then we just do not register. We tell them we are here for the fun of it. To see the rides and visit. 95% of the time we do not even stay for the awards. After several hours, we are ready to go and cruise some more.

We find the best times, beside being & visiting with our car friends, is the cruisin to and from the events. The windows down and waiving to all!!!

When Just Kruzin did the Boy's Ranch event, we gave the Ranch all of our trophies to reuse. When we do receive trophies, we always pass on to organizations like the Girls & Boys Clubs, Special Olympics, Boy's Ranch, etc. We are not into car events for the trophies. Just the pleasure, fun and great times that you can talk about for many years.
1969 Ford Mustang 428 Cobra Jet
and for fun:
2016 Polaris Slingshot
http://noalcarcalendar.mysite.com/
coupemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th   #11
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Oh, and to compete with Ricky in the chili-cook off yesterday. He, or someone, even admitted that he won because he brought 25 gallons! The rest of us only brought one large crock pot full. He kept refilling and the last page of voting was all #5s (Ricky's number)!!! It was lots of fun. Now those little and funny trophies are the best. Something for us to talk and tease about. Marsha
1969 Ford Mustang 428 Cobra Jet
and for fun:
2016 Polaris Slingshot
http://noalcarcalendar.mysite.com/
coupemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th   #12
LagoGarda
LagoGarda
is back from trip to Lago Garda.

I did refill that thing a few times....
of course it was one of those mini crock pots....
the others were the 5 gallon crock pots!!!
I did see the one SS pot that I think was a 6 or 8qt job.
It being only my 2nd competition of any kind, I prepared for the crowd.
My first was a Meat Loaf competition at Joe Davis Stadium last year , during a Stars game, and the folks in attendance were doing the judging so I brought a load of meat loaf thinking 1000 people or so would be judging. Then they gave us all these little Nyquil cup looking things to put a sample in each one so I had left overs. Wasn't sure on this Chili thing. I was thinking like they do at BBQ cook offs...6 or 8 judges so I poured some up in the crock pot and was ready. Had some more so I poured up a gallon container and put it in the fridge. Still had some left in the pot so I poured it up...almost a gallon and decided I might ought to bring this with me just in case they decide to have some sort of open judging thing going on.
I know to ask about judging (how many and how much they tasting) in the future to determine how much food to bring.
LagoGarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th   #13
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

well now those are great responses... i love going and showing off and hangin with friends of course... now some of yall have been in way longer than i and have boxes of little plastic trophies so i can understand how it doesnt mean as much to yall... my girls car is in that boat by winning at bigger shows and its a lot different to win there then a local a&w or 302 show... i have like 5 lil pieces of plastic so i want more lol... but im not built for it yet and know that so not super worried about it... also from cars like my girls, or the blue s10 and so on... you know your stuff is great so i can see it not bothering yall and ppl like munchie who truely dont care lol... i guess im just competitive

Common sense isn't a common virtue.

Link to the Nissan/Infiniti group page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154828527932506/
1 BAD Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th   #14
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Send a message via AIM to JayMack75 Send a message via Yahoo to JayMack75
I enter shows for several different reasons. Do I care about winning a trophy? Not really. Do I want to win a best of show? Yes I do. Have I? Nope. Do I expect to be judged fairly? Yes. I have no problem losing or winning FAIRLY. I've been to shows that I thought I was completely robbed. Was I pissed because I didn't win a trophy? No. I was pissed because I wasn't judged fairly. I've won trophies at shows before and I've been pissed about it because I felt I won the trophy simply because I knew the person putting on the show and it wasn't fair to someone that had something better to show than I did.

I enter local shows with the primary objective of supporting the show. If it weren't for these people and organizations putting together these shows then we as automotive enthusiasts would have nowhere to show off our work and socialize with others that share the interests that we do. There are several people I see at a show that I don't get to see anywhere else and the conversations that I have with folks is worth the $10 or $20 entry fee to have my vehicle in the show and have it there to discuss and show, etc. not only with friends and stuff but also to people that ask questions or may not exactly know "why your wheels do that."

I think people abuse the ability to park in a show because a show host assumes that if the person is parking in the show area that means they will be registering for the show. See, show hosts spend a lot of money to provide trophies or door prizes, etc. in order to provide people a good time and a place to gather to enjoy their hobby. Yes, hosts make money on shows - primarily to cover trophy costs and other expenses that are spent in order to provide a good time for the participants and spectators.

Local shows are fun, but the big shows are where the big fun is as far as a sense of competition goes. Sure, an award or recognition of some sort from Jeff's or Cafe 302 is nice to have, but the meaning behind winning an award at ///RA's All Star, Scrapin' the Coast, Showfest, Slammin' & Jammin', etc. means a lot more...at least it does to me. These people that put these shows on are people who I admire due to the fact that they have more skill than I do, they have nicer vehicles than I do, and the shows bring out the best of the best to compete. If I win a trophy at one of these shows I know I have EARNED it...not just got lucky. At a local show, I can win a trophy against a honda civic with 15" rims, half a body kit, and a picnic table wing and it doesn't mean much, but winning against a honda civic with 42 different colors in the custom paint, interior out of a maxima covered in custom dyed leather and fiberglass interior, with 20" rims tucked into the fender wells on air struts with 10 TVs inside the car and trunk with a pair of 12" subs, etc. - now THAT is an award that means something. The competition level is just increased at one of those shows compared to a local show...so it means more if I get recognized in some way, but if I don't win anything I am not mad about it. I know what I am getting into when I register. I know I'm going up against people with full interior, body drops, and a lot more money, time, and talent put into their vehicles than I have in mine.

Long story short as far as I see it:
Local shows - comradery, support of the local scene, and a very good time on a small amount of money.
Out of town/Regional/National Shows: Fun, new experiences and vehicles, higher level of competition, better classes and more organized and informed judging, magazine exposure, meeting new people, growing closer to the friends you have with you at the show.

Thats what it means to me, plain and simple.

Last edited by JayMack75; August 20th at 10:20 PM.
JayMack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st   #15
Wendell
Wendell
is on the road...again!

Mainly what coupemama said. Whoever is holding the show has expenses for the show. Been there done that with NABMS. Trophies cost, site sometimes cost, then theres insurance, misc, etc. And often the profits are dedicated to a charity or something along that line so to show support for their selected charity. That's why paying the entrance fee is just good etiquette. I helped run shows before and someone that parks near or in the show and doesn't pay entrance fee is an irratant to the staff and is that much less for expenses and charity donations.
Wendell is offline   Reply With Quote