Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old August 29th   #1
cruel1hemi
cruel1hemi
has no status.

Send a message via Yahoo to cruel1hemi
Question

I know alot of members here have tuners/imports/ricers....whatever you want to call them. I am just wondering why do all younger people think just because they have one of these cars with a muffler on it that it is the fastest car on the planet. I use to have a Mazda Protege 5 with CAI and exhaust. It was fast for a 4cyl, but nothing compared to a Mustang, Camaro, Supra, etc. I am not saying that any of you guys/gals think this way but it seems everytime I go to the store or drive down the parkway some young guy wants to race. My truck is pretty quick for a 5600 lbs truck, but still. I get the same thing happen in my wife's '09 Rav4 that is 100% stock. I don't under stand why people are this way. I hate to waste gas but sometimes I have to embarrass these guys. Sorry I just had to rant.

Member of the Board of Directors - HemiTruckClub.com

Last edited by cruel1hemi; August 29th at 09:48 PM.
cruel1hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th   #2
aminga
aminga
has no status.

Send a message via MSN to aminga
I blame The Fast and the Furious
Old August 30th   #3
Choetown
Choetown
has no status.

Japanese

I blame the Japanese.. just kidding.. sort of

The original Type R club.

Last edited by Choetown; August 30th at 07:04 AM.
Choetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th   #4
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
This is only a small percentage of "import" driver's but they tend to give the rest of us a bad name. Generally they are younger and just think their car is fast because fast is a relative term. I know I thought my 1994 Mazda MX6 was "fast" when I was 16 and in actuality, it was really slow.

I don't see how everyone always talks about people wanting to race them. I drive a LOT and I never get anyone trying to race me and my car is modified.

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th   #5
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

i agree with beck... only a small percentage are like this and the ones i believe you are refering to we call "ricers" the ones with cars that just dont flow... oversized wing, euro tail lights, missmatched paint, huge fart can, some have rims some just take the hub caps off and various other lil things and they tend to try to drive fast about everywhere... i had two preludes and two altimas that i worked on and i thought were fast but learned they werent... hense why i have a cobra now... but now some imports like my girls that have a body kit, flip paint, lambos, big rims, euro tail lights wont race you cause its a show car and she knows that... its quick for what she needs which is to get out in traffic or pass someone but wont run 10s in the quarter lol

but yeah i dont see how yall get these races... i havent get many races since i had my grocery getting altima... the ludes and the cobra (unless its a nice camaro) i guess just scared to many... or i wont race... well on the street almost for any reason...

Common sense isn't a common virtue.

Link to the Nissan/Infiniti group page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154828527932506/
1 BAD Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th   #6
Beckham
Beckham

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
... i had two preludes and two altimas that i worked on and i thought were fast but learned they werent... hense why i have a cobra now...
It's not fast, either.

Old August 30th   #7
AF8LTA
AF8LTA
<-- this guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckham
It's not fast, either.
hahahahaha
AF8LTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruel1hemi
I know alot of members here have tuners/imports/ricers....whatever you want to call them. I am just wondering why do all younger people think just because they have one of these cars with a muffler on it that it is the fastest car on the planet. I use to have a Mazda Protege 5 with CAI and exhaust. It was fast for a 4cyl, but nothing compared to a Mustang, Camaro, Supra, etc. I am not saying that any of you guys/gals think this way but it seems everytime I go to the store or drive down the parkway some young guy wants to race. My truck is pretty quick for a 5600 lbs truck, but still. I get the same thing happen in my wife's '09 Rav4 that is 100% stock. I don't under stand why people are this way. I hate to waste gas but sometimes I have to embarrass these guys. Sorry I just had to rant.
For the record, the HCS demographics tend to swing more towards old school muscle and v8 cars, but most of them aren't forum people, so you don't hear from too many of them online.

This is a common question enthusiasts of all types have, and I think it comes down to a couple of things.

Drag racing is about who is faster between two cars. But that being said, the thing that makes drag racing exciting is a close race. This can happen between two 4 second cars, or two 14 second cars.

So bearing this in mind, why is it people want to race things that will not result in a close race? Well, that's where a bunch of psychology comes in. (I'm sure there's a market research firm out there that has a study on this, but I've not yet found one.)

For most enthusiasts, there is a portion of themselves invested in their car. The obvious part of this is the financial, but what people usually don't account for is the mental and emotional. Do door dings upset the usual car owner? No. Are they a cardinal sin for an enthusiast? YES! Why?

Well, the answer to that comes two fold and relies on what we know about the enthusiasts's investment. One, there's the disrespect for your property that has a significant financial investment. But two--and this is the more important one--it is a sense of disrespect someone has shown for your emotional and mental investment. In a sense, it's a personal knock against you. It's the same as being called fat, ugly, or any other type of personal insult. When someone has a lot of emotion or mental energy invested in their car, this is a real hit to one's self-esteem.

So how does all this apply to impromptu drag racing? Well, it's the same concept. There is money and time invested by an enthusiast. If the modifications are not done in an 'accepted' manner, there's ridicule. So there's ridicule of the emotions and mental energy put into the work. That's a hit to self-esteem. So now there's a sense of having to 'prove' others wrong. How do you do that in drag racing? Beat something faster than you. Hence, you have random enthusiasts, who are really racing for a self-esteem boost, not because they actually are fans of drag racing. In fact, many of these enthusiasts just modified their cars to get this self-esteem boost because they saw someone else with this 'respect' or look up to someone else with this 'respect'.

Generally this happens with people that don't have as much financially invested in their vehicle, but I've also seen this happen with people that have tons of money invested in their fully built car. They have this whole following because of what they have built and its accomplishments. And because they would lose all the praise that brings them a strong sense of self if they lost a race, they are actually afraid to race people that they may lose against. They may go so far as to only race those they will beat.

After a few years, people generally stop behaving this way. Either because they get a stronger sense of self-esteem and realize that they have nothing to prove to anyone but themselves, or because they move to something else that gives them a bigger boost in self-esteem. This is also why a lot of enthusiasts that start out when they are young move onto another hobby as they get older--they weren't really an enthusiast at heart to begin with. They were there just for the boost--no pun intended.

This lack of sense of self is what also causes a lot of the conflicts between enthusiasts and even people in general. People get so behind their make/model/group/whatever because they have emotions and mental energy tied up in it. And if their make/model/group/whatever isn't better than x's make/model/group/whatever, then they are losing their self-worth. So what's the result here? Belittling that which damages self-worth in an effort to keep a sense of self-worth. Put downs. Name calling. Labelling. The term 'ricer' is a perfect example of this. It's also why I personally don't use it, especially with it's racial and cultural origins.

Now, there are many people to which none of this will apply. They race everyone and everything because of the sheer fun of it. I used to do that and still will on occasion. There are people that do burnouts just for the fun of it, not to prove anything; show their car for the fun of it, not to prove anything; drift their car for the fun of it, not to prove anything, autocross their car for the fun of it, not prove anything, take their car/bike to the tail of the dragon for the fun of it, not to prove anything, etc, etc.

To me, these are your true enthusiasts, doing what they are doing not because of some unconscious psychological need, but because they truly enjoy it. They are generally happy people not only in their hobby, but in life. You will find that these enthusiasts enjoy the edgy fun but know their limits, stay out of any sort of trouble, and avoid drama. These are the enthusiasts for which I designed and operate Huntsville Car Scene.com, bringing us all together to enjoy and encourage each of us in our own passion and individual enthusiam--whatever genre that may be, two-wheeled or four, all show or all go, on road or off, and anything in between.
Old August 30th   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choetown
I blame the Japanese.. just kidding.. sort of

The original Type R club.
Nice toys!
Old August 30th   #10
Choetown
Choetown
has no status.

Thanks Samir.

Whoa dude, are you related to deepak chopra? Nice one man.
Choetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th   #11
Beckham
Beckham

I'll read your book later, Samir.

Last edited by Beckham; August 30th at 12:13 PM.
Old August 30th   #12
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckham
It's not fast, either.
lol its no dragster for sure

Common sense isn't a common virtue.

Link to the Nissan/Infiniti group page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154828527932506/
1 BAD Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th   #13
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choetown
Thanks Samir.

Whoa dude, are you related to deepak chopra? Nice one man.
Hahaha...I've just been around the scene long enough to understand how it works. I've even questioned why I love these things so much. I think the influence came from my dad working at Ford as an engineer when I was younger.
Old August 30th   #14
GetSOM
GetSOM
almost done with rennovations.
Huntsville Car Scene Staff

My vote is, these kids think their cars are fast because they have never ridden in something that truly has any power what so ever. I actually used to think a honda civic with a body kit was cool until I rode in my friends 97 Z28, that changed my mind real quick.

2002 SOM Camaro SS
GetSOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th   #15
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

The devel in me likes it when a young driver in a tuner with loud pipes pulls up next to us and guns his/her engine. Then when the light changes I just let Chip unleash all of our 500+ horse power in those big blocks!!! And, of course, hope that there is no police in the area!!!
1969 Ford Mustang 428 Cobra Jet
and for fun:
2016 Polaris Slingshot
http://noalcarcalendar.mysite.com/
coupemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st   #16
Munchie
Munchie
is purging all the poo out of his life!

Send a message via AIM to Munchie
There is really not much I can say that hasn't been said, but. If everyone would just come to their sinces and not worry about all this racing the world would be a better place. Instead of Racing to see who can win in a certain distance, we should all be racing to see who can touch the ground with his/her frame first! Simple choice Air ride>Go Fast.lol Low and Slow>Fast and Go!

Just kidding though, I know air ride isn't for everyone. If it was we would all be cool like me and Kerry!lol
04 Chevy Trailblazer EXT-family ride
06 Joyner 650 Sand Spider-The Buggy
68 VW Rail Buggy-CNC rail conversion 44" Rear Paddles
85 19ft Bayliner Capri

Last edited by Munchie; August 31st at 04:40 AM.
Munchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st   #17
Nevr2loS10
Nevr2loS10
has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Nevr2loS10
I blame it on Obama....lmao

Body dropped 84 s10 and 20s for sale hit me up if interested
Nevr2loS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st   #18
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevr2loS10
I blame it on Obama....lmao

Funniest animated gif I've seen in a long time. The guy on the left sinking with money on his head kills me.