Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old October 1st   #1
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Cool Idea for a Cruise

This was a "Midnight Run in Times Square" of a bunch of cars, many of them exotic. Sounded like it was a lot of fun:
http://chriswalshphotography.blogspot.com/
Old October 2nd   #2
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Veronica mentioned the other day she'd like for us to cruise up to the Jack Daniels distillery again this fall. This is a possible idea. I'd like to get a good group of people to go up with. It's a really nice drive. I just wish I could get more people to come out with high end cars. I mean nothing against Honda's because I drive one everyday. I'd just like to actually see more high end stuff come to events.

It seems like the main thing that has made me pretty much stop going to events is the amount of idiots that come out. I just need something different. It seems like every event I go to there are 10 idiots for one nice person....but then again the more I think about it I guess that's anything you do sadly.

I could go on a nice rant about this but I'll stop and keep it PG. But I would love to see a more high end cruise, any idea's how to make it happen?
EvilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I'm not sure where you're hanging out, but I don't run across people like that too often.

When you set up a cruise of any sort, you are exposed to liability. When you want high-end vehicles coming to such an event, you better have insurance to cover this liability. This is the first step.

Secondly, if you want high-end cars cruising, you have to already be in their circles and understand if that is what they like to do. A lot of the high-end vehicles in the area ($100k+) will either be at road race events or will be driven occasionally. Now, that being said, the local Ferrari club used to have "Sunday morning drives" that were cruises early in the morning. I haven't seen any listed on their calendar for 2009, but they would be a key organization that could help organize something of this nature as they have connections with the other high-end vehicle owners in the area.

Cruises can be very fun. Huntsville Car Scene did one in February of 2006 and it had a great turnout. But this is A LOT of organizational work and requires planning, effort, and money for expenses. I personally have the knowledge, but don't have the resources to put one together at this time or I would.

Other local clubs like the Rocket City Mustang Club and the Vets with Vettes plan trips to Jack Daniels. I'm sure they wouldn't mind some friendly enthusiasts tagging along.
Old October 2nd   #4
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Well I hung around 2 Danes for a while and decided that I needed to grow up and do other things with my life. I'm not knocking the group there because there is a few good people, but it just kinda changed and wasn't fun to me anymore. A lot of things have happened in the last 2 monthes for me and about a month ago I was so close to selling all my cars and saying to heck with it. But I realized with the help of Veronica that there has to be a group of people out there that have similar interest as us. I mean I enjoy cars but I enjoy meeting people as well. The car is just a similar interest.

Well I know a few guys in the area with exotics cars but there just not really into the cruise thing and there twice my age. I just know there has to be a good group of level headed people in there mid 20's that enjoy cruising, hanging out, and maybe even going out and getting a few drinks. It's just seems like I've seen so many "car" friends hang it up and I'm finding myself as the guy that's to old to be hanging out in the parking lot. I love cars but it just seems like the scene has changed a lot in the last year. You have to see it to or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place.
Old October 2nd   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

You know, after reading what you've posted, I know exactly where you're coming from. I went through this a few years back when I transitioned from being in my 20s to my 30s.

As you age, your perspective changes, priorities change, and life changes. And just like in younger years, there are growing pains of trying to find your place in the world, your home.

I know there are car people out there like you. I've met them. I know several of them. But saying that, there's more out there that are not like you on a personal level. They may be the same on the car level, but different on a personal level. Does this make any sense?
Old October 3rd   #6
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

^im going through the same thing right now... and totally agree

Common sense isn't a common virtue.

Link to the Nissan/Infiniti group page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154828527932506/
1 BAD Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd   #7
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

There are car groups out there that are formed for just cruisin. Whether getting together, meeting and cruisin as a group to other car events. Or getting together once a month for a planned day or weekend cruise to a special place of interest. Just Krusin of North Alabama is one of them. May of their rides are in the neighborhood of $35K+. These rides are built for the roads and cruisin. They can get together and cruise coast to coast with no problems. Many of them have done the Power Tour and Route 66. You can probably find them heading to Cruisin the Coast this upcoming week (4th thru 11th).

Since Chip & I are street rodders, this is the type of group that we enjoy best. Just enjoying your all rides and the open road together. If you cannot drive it, then what is it good for???!!!
1968 Ford Bronco Half Cab
and for fun:
2016 Polaris Slingshot
http://noalcarcalendar.mysite.com/
coupemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th   #8
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Send a message via AIM to JayMack75 Send a message via Yahoo to JayMack75
Sometimes people's interests change, and sometimes people are still interested but lose perspective, and other times people just find excuses to cause a problem because they are not satisfied themselves and cause tension for the others around them, and sometimes people inflate their own egos and others don't want to associate with them. Thats something I have noticed quite a lot in the past year or so, not just on a car club perspective, but as an all round thing.

The scene has changed dramatically in the past year, and I think its not for a lack of shows, or even a lack of money (for the most part), but just the lack of interest or drive. A year ago you wouldn't have been able to tell me that ACC/TC would be getting rid of 15 or so members just because those people decided they didn't want to involve themselves anymore with anything having to do with the scene. We still have the same shows we always have had or more, nothing has changed except for some alterations that had to be made due to the economy (like not showing at a show, but still attending). Now there are people with all-out show cars sitting in their driveways or garages that just don't have the desire to get up and wash it and show it anymore. It baffles me that anyone would sink their hard earned money into a vehicle (I assume they love this hobby, otherwise who would sink as much money into something they weren't passionate about), and then just let it sit outside when there is gorgeous weather and 3 or 4 shows or cruise ins going on that day.

Everyone (and I say that loosely) wants recognition for their work, their accomplishments, their "baby" that they put their time work and money into. I'm speaking on my perspective that I am proud of the piece of work that I display on a weekly basis, and assume that others that invest the time and effort and money into their vehicles as I do in mine would be just as proud of their piece of work. Sometimes I can't take mine out due to the problems its been plagued with over the past month or two (flat tire, broken bolts in the 4 link) and I havent had the time or money to fix it...and thats understandable for anyone.

I don't know. I just wish the scene would evolve back into what it was a year or two ago. Every weekend something to do before and/or after a show. If there wasn't a show everyone would get together and have a good time hanging out and enjoying each other's company and vehicles. We, as a club, used to get together every weekend and do something...now no one or very few people show up to anything thats planned. Now as far as the whole scene goes, even when things are free very few people show up. DQ doesn't have near as many people as it did last year or the year before. The shows arent as large, but that can be blamed on the economy...unless you talk about Athens on the Square or AQBC Show which posted record numbers.

When things like this happen I start thinking about what can be done to bring everyone together to remind everyone how much fun it is to do the hobby that we are all involved in. What can I do to help everyone appreciate the car scene that we have. So I try throw together a cruise in or two...a car show or two just to change it up and provide a different format, then very few attend that - and only half actually participate. It makes me wonder if the scene and/or the people that make up the scene have given up on themselves or is it just me?
Old October 4th   #9
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

well jay i agree with you on many points you make. The ego is a huge one i watched last year in the ultimate smack alabama customs took. the problem was, if customs has no one to compete with (cause no doubt it was by far the best club around), then who to compete with but each other. ACCTC became a civil war of either my cars better or faster then yours or my girls car is better than yours or whatever. things got taken outta context by being said. now most of that to a point has been resolved but still left a bad taste in ppls mouths. Customs will survive i firmly believe but will take a step back of course due to all this.

next year will be a turn im sure. the economy is turning around (no thanks to obama). ppls interests will return after a lack of activity over winter. plus i dont have to go to a show to "show" my car off. i show it off every time i drive it. now dont get me wrong i love shows and going to them. i wanted to get out to some shows yesterday but it just didnt work out. i already cant wait for next year and to see if these monthly shows will improve on what they started and maybe go to an every other month or something to build interest back or something. maybe do a points system to win a best of year car or something really cool and crazy.

the scene also has many cocky ppl in it and not just in customs. theres been plenty of times ive talked to ppl and unless your bagged, or have a honda, or an import or whatever that person drives then you cant talk to them cause your stuff isnt cool.

there are many ideas ppl can come up with but if others dont wanna do it or help or come... whats the point? if we had ppl to get cameras out and mark a cruise date for a trip somewhere and tape it, take pictures and make like a real huntsville scene online magazine and sell those dvds or huntsvillecarscene shirts and maybe move to making real magazines... itll help. we love going to big shows and getting pictures with the likes of dropjawmag, hotridesmag, etc just so we might can get our car or girls in a mag or online or on a dvd. my girl is in the new sikness video and to me thats worth more bragging right and more pride then winning at my local jeffs muffler show

personally im down for the count right now, lost my job, building a house and already tied down with a car payment that im trying to sell so its rough and im sure others are in the same boat... but just keep going to shows and plugging away... things will turn back around

Old October 4th   #10
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

I'm just sick of idiots. No offense I don't do clubs its not me. I don't get it. I went out last night for the first time in a while and I think I'm done. I really do its just not fun anymore. People just have way to much to prove. At this point in my life I have nothing to prove with a car anymore so I guess I need to find a new hobby.I've got way to much going on with my job to get caught up in this stupid crap. It was fun and I'm not sayin I'm done with cars. I'm gonna sell the Z buy an NSX and be a ghost that you only see a few times a year.
Old October 4th   #11
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

^thats the feeling ive gotten over the past few months and have thought about the same thing... but i love the stuff, just havent decided how im gonna handle it

Old October 5th   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMack75 View Post
Now there are people with all-out show cars sitting in their driveways or garages that just don't have the desire to get up and wash it and show it anymore. It baffles me that anyone would sink their hard earned money into a vehicle (I assume they love this hobby, otherwise who would sink as much money into something they weren't passionate about), and then just let it sit outside when there is gorgeous weather and 3 or 4 shows or cruise ins going on that day.
I think the answer to your question is right there--the passion is gone. The love is gone. Something has changed.
Old October 5th   #13
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDM View Post
I'm just sick of idiots. No offense I don't do clubs its not me. I don't get it. I went out last night for the first time in a while and I think I'm done. I really do its just not fun anymore. People just have way to much to prove. At this point in my life I have nothing to prove with a car anymore so I guess I need to find a new hobby.I've got way to much going on with my job to get caught up in this stupid crap. It was fun and I'm not sayin I'm done with cars. I'm gonna sell the Z buy an NSX and be a ghost that you only see a few times a year.
I think you need to change where you're going out. If you having nothing to prove, you need to hang with others that have nothing to prove. Let me know the next time you're out--I'll hang with you.
Old October 5th   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom View Post
the problem was, if customs has no one to compete with (cause no doubt it was by far the best club around), then who to compete with but each other.
But there's the issue right there. Why does something have to be competitive? Why does a friendly competitive spirit turn into a compulsory thing?
Quote:
the scene also has many cocky ppl in it and not just in customs.
These people do exist, and the reasons they behave this way actually has nothing to do with this hobby. But that being said, the number of nice people outnumber these by 20:1 overall. This ratio changes, with the age demographic, but then you just change which age demographic you hang out with.
Quote:
there are many ideas ppl can come up with but if others dont wanna do it or help or come... whats the point?
I really hate to say this, but the local scene here is about followers, not leaders. There are less than 100 people that make this entire car scene happen. This is a fact. Considering there are probably about 25k+ enthusiasts in the area, you'd think more people would want to get involved in making something happen. But it's a sacrifice to do it, and can turn into work. No one [young] seems to have the drive and commitment for the work. They just want the reward or the end result.

I say this from personal experience, I've spent years of my life and thousands of my own dollars on Huntsville Car Scene and attempting to unite the scene. And why? Because I believe in something bigger that everyone, including myself, can enjoy if we come together.

But getting people to assist on even the most basic things is like giving them a root canal. How can things get bigger and better when the small group of people making things happen doesn't get bigger? Simple answer--it won't.

This is a bit off topic from the original post, but we all know how that goes...
Old October 5th   #15
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

^all of that i totally agree with

i believe all these young punks are going and buying cars that are not... eh.. how to put it nicely... just not what some of the older more established guys have. so they want their 2k honda with some wheels, primer paint and an intake to be as nice or as fast as a 09 cobra, vette, skyline, fully custom 350z or whatever... its the term "hate" that comes to mind. if i cant have what you have then im not talking to you and wont like your very nice ride. so the ppl with the nicer cars stop talking to the young punks cause they know the young kids "just dont get it". i think you should be at least 21 before you can be in the car scene but heck even they can act like kids (i know cause ive done it)

the competition is another thats just a few ppl that start "hating" so if they hate on you, you want to prove them wrong so that makes competition to stay better or prove you are better. and when that person doesnt acknowledge your car is better then it makes you want to more show it is so then you start talking trash and now your hating also. none of it is right but its how it seems to happen.

i had a prelude and everyone loved it. i was slower then everyone, it wasnt as nice as many of my peers cars around me. i bought a cobra and regardless of what ppl say, you know what kinda car it is. a cobra is a special type of mustang that gets respect right off the bat cause it is a cobra. now mine isnt much special but my peers did not like that all of the sudden i moved up and bought a faster car then they had and really any "hate" they could have was not relavant anymore so they got mad about it.

friends change as you get older and as you get more. some ppl get more and change thinking now they are better than you and have a nose up syndrom (noticed this in my life). two a person start making more money and getting more and others start hating on them and talking trash cause they dont have what you have now so they are insecure about themselves. and three your friends start making more money and getting more stuff to have more than you... you stay friends... but you start catching back up with them and get equal in some things, maybe more in some areas and a little less then others... and they start hating to try to put you back down where you were a few months to a year back.

its all stupid and all i have seen in the past year happen to me so its really changed my thinking. i will truely build my car for me now and establish friendly competition with friends and not worry about all this anymore cause its truely pointless. personally i have grown and learned a lot this year and am thankful for that.

Old October 5th   #16
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

^i know thats not really written right but boy thoughts are flowing and i was trying to get them down as i was thinkin about them so i hope yall understand that.

something else i thought about, because all this is established as your a muscle car guy, mini truck guy, import guy... now the lines have been drawn so ppl dont wanna talk or hangout unless you have the same type of car as them

example of this is what we call the "mustang syndrome". i approach a guy with a bad a** mustang cobra and start talking to him at our local dairy queen cruise in. i could not get much outta him and he tried to correct me on any little thing he could and had his nose up in the air a bit... "mustang syndrome"... well all of the sudden i point out my cobra... it was night and day with his attitude... all the sudden he is joking with me, talking to me normal, asking about mine, not trying to correct me every second... it actually aggravated me enough to just walk away from him. he was probably in his early 30s and im in my mid 20s so he must have thought i had one of the broke down hondas there or something (nothing against hondas, i love them and there are many nice ones around... i had one lol) but i thought to myself this is exactly what is wrong with the scene... cause i know ppl see me and go "oh he has a cobra, he wont talk to me... hes better"

it sucks

Old October 5th   #17
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
i approach a guy with a bad a** mustang cobra and start talking to him at our local dairy queen cruise in. i could not get much outta him and he tried to correct me on any little thing he could and had his nose up in the air a bit...i thought to myself this is exactly what is wrong with the scene...
I think DQ and this attitude is NOT the rule, but the exception to the rule. Go to any organized event and go up to someone with a great car and talk to them--you have a great conversation with someone that has no attitude, and a willingness to share.
Old October 6th   #18
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

im with ya but you know that old saying... "one bad apple..." thats what i think applies here

ive had many great talks with ppl with cars from really bad to high end... i just think that one bad time for ppl just rubs them the wrong way

Old October 6th   #19
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Send a message via AIM to JayMack75 Send a message via Yahoo to JayMack75
Quote:
^all of that i totally agree with

i believe all these young punks are going and buying cars that are not... eh.. how to put it nicely... just not what some of the older more established guys have. so they want their 2k honda with some wheels, primer paint and an intake to be as nice or as fast as a 09 cobra, vette, skyline, fully custom 350z or whatever... its the term "hate" that comes to mind. if i cant have what you have then im not talking to you and wont like your very nice ride. so the ppl with the nicer cars stop talking to the young punks cause they know the young kids "just dont get it". i think you should be at least 21 before you can be in the car scene but heck even they can act like kids (i know cause ive done it)

the competition is another thats just a few ppl that start "hating" so if they hate on you, you want to prove them wrong so that makes competition to stay better or prove you are better. and when that person doesnt acknowledge your car is better then it makes you want to more show it is so then you start talking trash and now your hating also. none of it is right but its how it seems to happen.

i had a prelude and everyone loved it. i was slower then everyone, it wasnt as nice as many of my peers cars around me. i bought a cobra and regardless of what ppl say, you know what kinda car it is. a cobra is a special type of mustang that gets respect right off the bat cause it is a cobra. now mine isnt much special but my peers did not like that all of the sudden i moved up and bought a faster car then they had and really any "hate" they could have was not relavant anymore so they got mad about it.

friends change as you get older and as you get more. some ppl get more and change thinking now they are better than you and have a nose up syndrom (noticed this in my life). two a person start making more money and getting more and others start hating on them and talking trash cause they dont have what you have now so they are insecure about themselves. and three your friends start making more money and getting more stuff to have more than you... you stay friends... but you start catching back up with them and get equal in some things, maybe more in some areas and a little less then others... and they start hating to try to put you back down where you were a few months to a year back.

its all stupid and all i have seen in the past year happen to me so its really changed my thinking. i will truely build my car for me now and establish friendly competition with friends and not worry about all this anymore cause its truely pointless. personally i have grown and learned a lot this year and am thankful for that.
The bad part is that there are a few of us that try to bridge that gap but there are more that encourage the gap, that do nothing to fix the problems...hence the drama, trash talking, childish rumors, and chips on shoulders. Some people insist on being childish...and I'm not talking about the 16 and 17 year olds. I'm talking about some of the 20ish folks that ought to know better...and the 30 and 40 years olds that are trying to hard to hold on to their youth or be accepted by people half their age because no one in their own age group wants anything to do with them...with good reason (in regards to the person I have in mind which will remain nameless). Others that are like that person flock to buy into anything that is said and spread it like wildfire no matter the validity of the issue. Which causes a great divide amongst the scene. A certain degree of childish behavior is expected, otherwise it wouldnt be any fun to be in the scene, but people that take it to the extreme could certainly be left out of the loop and no one would miss them.

The other problem is the younger guys that think they have to walk around like the big cock in the hen house. A message to these guys: you don't impress anyone, and throwing what weight you think you have around doesn't earn you respect...it earns you ridecule and embarassment, often behind your back. Some have inflated egos due to the fact they have a nice car - sure, everyone gets a little bit of an inflated ego if they have something nice, but some folks don't even have a vehicle with all matching panels and they act like this. It comes across as a power struggle...but for what power? The ulitimate rule over the 35 square feet your vehicle occupies when you park? Well you can have it without saying a word...or irritating the masses that are parked around you.

Maybe all this makes sense...maybe it doesn't, but like David, I just had a thought train blow through my brain and needed to vent a little. lol!
Old October 6th   #20
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

^well i know this is true and know this cause ive been through these stages myself... it was fun, then i wanted to step my game up to hang with others, got some decent, it was rejected, so i felt i had to prove i had something greater then the other guy, made things worse or higher tension, now i realize how dumb it is...

i would love to have a car thats fast enough to compete with the big boys at the track... or the show car to compete with the likes of that bad a** red prelude, 3 tone civic, bagged clipse and so on... but realization is i dont have the cashflow or hands on skill to do it right now... so maybe one day, but till then its time to just chillax and have fun