Rocket City Mustang Club
Monthly Meetings
Casa Blanca
Every 3rd Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.

Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Local Group Forums > Rocket City Mustang Club

Rocket City Mustang Club The official forum for the Rocket City Mustang Club, one of the Mustang Clubs in the area

Old May 19th   #1
kennyg
kennyg
Too many projects, not enough time.

Lightbulb 9 Inch Differential Assembly on new work table

This thread will show the assembly of a 1970 9 inch differential, all 1967-1970 have what is commonly referred to as a 54 inch wide housing. Have installed alot of 9 inch chunks underneath Mustangs over the years, and now am getting to put one together standing up! I've had this old brake lathe table sitting around the shop for years stacked up with stuff and decided to clean it off and put it to good use. Welded up some jack stands, bolted them to the table and installed one u-bolt to secure the housing.

Upon removal of the differential assembly from the Stang, discovered it was bent. Cleaned the housing, sandblasted, and etch primed, then sent to Currie Enterprises for straightening. Currie is a very professional business and charged $49 for the straightening. Now have urethane primed and painted the housing semi-gloss black, kept working with a formula until I achieved the sheen I was looking for, used Omni acrylic enamel factory pack black and Omni flattening agent at a ratio of 5:1. Installed new studs in the housing, the old ones were easily knocked out and the new ones were installed using a stack of washers over the stud with a NON locking nut and an impact wrench, quick process, about 5 minutes. Will now install new housing seals and gaskets on both sides of the backing plates. More pics and info to come as this 9 inch comes together. Hope you find this thread useful.

1969 Fairlane Cobra-Auto, Column Shift, Benchseat
1970 Mach 1-Grabber Orange 4-Speed
1994 Ford Mustang GT-Yellow 5-Speed
kennyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th   #2
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Cool. I need to install an article module so more people can post stuff like this. Very useful! I like the setup. I never thought about using jack stands like that.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th   #3
Greg G
Greg G
has no status.

Maybe a shop & tech section. Tech & More. Any ideas anyone ?
As for the stands, we made them here in the shop. 4 inch square plates on the bottom of 2 inch square tube with angle iron on top... some padding to keep from scratching the housing and the stands are bolted to the table to make earthquake & inebriated people proof.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th   #4
Greg G
Greg G
has no status.

Here ia a picture of the 2:75 gear set. Originally out of an LTD. Most of the "chunks" that I have removed from the 4 door Fords have been in really good shape. Most Alabama State Trooper cars were using either 2:50 or 2:75's. The owner of the Mustang mentioned that with this gear ratio he was able to keep up with the cars with overdrive transmissions on the interstate. His Mustang originnally came equiped with 3:25's, a good ratio for zipping around town, but not really the gear that you would want on the highway.

Last edited by Greg G; May 19th at 12:29 PM.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th   #5
kennyg
kennyg

Chunk detailed and installed

Finally got back to the 9". Cleaned and painted the chunk housing with PPG DP74LF red epoxy, sandblasted and painted the yoke with Eastwood Factory Gray high temp coating part #34105Z and installed a new pinion seal. Applied a bead of black silicone sealer on both sides of the Ford 9" paper gasket and used new lock nuts to retain the chunk in the housing. Just a few more parts to go and this 9" will be ready to be put to work!
Old June 7th   #6
MarkDorner
MarkDorner
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyg
Finally got back to the 9". Cleaned and painted the chunk housing with PPG DP74LF red epoxy, sandblasted and painted the yoke with Eastwood Factory Gray high temp coating part #34105Z and installed a new pinion seal. Applied a bead of black silicone sealer on both sides of the Ford 9" paper gasket and used new lock nuts to retain the chunk in the housing. Just a few more parts to go and this 9" will be ready to be put to work!
Did you use copper washers? The judges are gonna get you!

Looks good. You have a nice rearend, Mr. Gullatt.
Old June 7th   #7
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDorner
Looks good. You have a nice rearend, Mr. Gullatt.
Uhhh...don't ever say that in public, Mark.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th   #8
kennyg
kennyg

I didn't use copper washers, but with sealer applied to both sides of the gasket and around each stud, it won't leak. The lock nuts seamed to seat real well. As far as the judges go, I'm not building this to any spec, just trying to build a nice street machine.
p.s. Mark, Thanks for noticing!, but it's not actually mine.
Old July 6th   #9
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

the help section would be a good thing.also a section perhaps called ( i need a ) for people like myself who are looking for something. ineeda front and rear spoiler for a pinto. i"d like to give my red pinto a ralley or trans am look. also i recently took my steering box apart on my mustang to see why it had a half round of play in steering. several little ball bearings were missing in part of the mechanism. ihad some from another badbox and put them in and solved the looseness. but now it only turns about a one turn right and three three turns left . what have i done?
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th   #10
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

i have solved the problem . i have found a way to get everywhere i need to go by only turning left.. nah just kidding , i had the pinion and worm drive timed wrong.several on and offs over the weekend got it right. no telling how many loose boxes have been thrown away cause of a bad bearing.
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote