Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourself here!

Old November 3rd   #1
froyotlbw88
froyotlbw88
has no status.

Alabama College Student

Hello everyone, my name is Timothy. I'm from NY but I live in AL now. I've been attending school hear for about 4 years. Its pretty nice although nothing compares to NY. Right now I'm driving a 1992 Eagle Talon ESi. It's not that fast but its reliable. I do, however, have in my possession a motor, tranny, ecu, and wiring harness from a 3rd generation 3S_GTE. Everyone, I assume, knows everything about that motor. It's the king of the celica motors and possibly one of the most powerful 4 cyl motors around. Well, I was gonna swap it into my camry (other car with spun rod bearing), but I decided against it. In these tough economic times, Ramen Noodles and a gallon of gas are all that can fit my budget. I will be talking more about the engine after I get better acquainted, but if anyone is interested in buying the motor, contact me at froyo2003@hotmail.com. I look forward to talking to everyone.
froyotlbw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th   #2
froyotlbw88
froyotlbw88
has no status.

3rd Generation 3S-GTE

Hey everyone,

I'm selling a third generation 3S-GTE. This motor came shipped directly to me from Canada and it has not been installed inside of a car. Its a complete swap. (transmission, wiring harness, ECU, and even a blow-off valve and turbo timer also). This recession is hitting hard so I gotta get rid of it. I'm willing to sell for 1200 OBO. You can contact me at froyo2003@hotmail.com. Thanks all.

Old November 4th   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Welcome! You'll find a variety of people here from all walks of the scene, so you'll probably have to explain what the motor is and its capability. If I'm not mistaken, isn't that from the celica all-trac? Or did they also make a turbo version that was 2wd?
Old November 4th   #4
froyotlbw88
froyotlbw88
has no status.

Understandable....this motor is indeed the motor from the celica alltrac. It does also come rwd in the MR2. and there are many that have been able to convert it to fwd using the transmission from the v6 camry. The 3S-GTE is a 2.0 L 4 cylinder motor that's power depends on its generation.

The ST165 was the 1st generation of this motor and was in production from 1986-1989. It used Toyota's CT26 turbo, a water to air intercooler, and has an 8.5:1 compression ratio. Output for this motor was approxiamately 182 hp and 184 ft·lbf @3600 rpm

The ST185 was the 2nd generation of this motor and was in production from 1990-1993. The also used the CT26 turbo but it was modified for more reliability. This used a air to air intercooler, and had an 8.8:1 compression ratio. Output for this motor was approxiamately 221 hp and 224 ft·lbf @3200 rpm

The ST205 was the 3rd generation of this motor and was in production from 1994-1999. It used Toyota's CT20b twin-entry turbo. This used a water to air intercooler like the 1st generation and brought back the 8.5:1 compression ratio. Output for this motor was approxiamtely 241 hp and 224 ft·lbf @4000 rpm

The ST215 was the 4th generation of this motor and was used in the Calidina and not the celica or the MR2. It used a proprietary CT20b turbocharger whose exhaust housing is actually cast into the cylinder exhaust manifold. It used a air to air intercooler and had a 9.0:1 compression ratio. Output for this motor was approxiamtely 256 hp and 239 ft·lbf @4400 rpm

That's all the basic info. I can try to answer any more questions about this motor. It will fit easily in any Celica, MR2, Caldina, and even a Camry if u want a sleeper. The difference will only be the transmissions. You determine if u want a fwd, awd, or rwd.
Old November 4th   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

That's amazing that it will fit into a Camry. How many people have done that swap? Is it a bolt-in affair? How much boost can the stock internals handle reliably?
Old November 4th   #6
froyotlbw88
froyotlbw88
has no status.

Tons of people have done that swap before. My favorite one is this one http://www.cardomain.com/ride/535237. That was my original plan for the engine. Since I only deal with manual transmissions, the 4cyl tranny from the camry would bolt on but it couldn't sustain the power from the motor at all. The v6 camry tranny (E-153) is the one that people typically use.
Old November 4th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Wow, I never thought a Camry Coupe could be so powerful. Too bad that car doesn't exist anymore. Sounds like it ended up getting into an accident and then parted out.

I wonder how the Solara would work for a chassis for a swap project vs a Camry Coupe.
Old November 4th   #8
froyotlbw88
froyotlbw88
has no status.

Since the solara didn't come until 99 and the camry coupe ended long before then, i presume that the solara would have upgraded to a stiffer chassis. It should be able to sustain power
Old November 4th   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I wonder if the engine would bolt-in or even be worth it. I know there are people out there that have put a Supra engine into it.
Old November 4th   #10
froyotlbw88
froyotlbw88
has no status.

it'll bolt into the mounts from the 1st gen solara. the first gen solara have a 5S-FE which uses the S block mounts. the mounts are the same. the 2nd gen solara uses the AZ block mounts. it'll be a lil more fabrication involved.
Old November 4th   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Interesting. Looks like you've looked into this as well?
Old November 4th   #12
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Send a message via AIM to JayMack75 Send a message via Yahoo to JayMack75
I'm not sure if this will help or not, but you may consider contacting Dustin at Midnight Auto on South Parkway. I know he has a MR2 out in front, but better yet, he may just want the motor to have it - who knows?? lol!!
Old November 5th   #13
froyotlbw88
froyotlbw88
has no status.

oh ccrap....i forgot he had that mr2 sitting outt there. i need to hit him up asap
Old November 24th   #14
froyotlbw88
froyotlbw88
has no status.

is anyone in huntsville interested in this motor?
Old December 18th   #15
froyotlbw88
froyotlbw88
has no status.

bump