Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old July 27th   #1
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
Hyundai looking to fix the HP problem with the Genesis Coupe.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/hy...-v8-21702.html

Quote:
When the Ford Mustang was challenged by the new Hyundai Genesis Coupe, many laughed. After the pony car icon and the Korean newcomer were put head to head, it became obvious that the Hyundai posed a real threat. Of course the Genesis Coupe doesn’t have the history of the American coupe and this can create quite a gap between the two for a certain type of customers.

And the Mustang shouldn’t fear the Korean two-door anyway, as the latter’s top engine is a V6 that delivers 306 hp, so the Genesis can only compete with the entry level V6 ‘Stang.

Well, it looks like Hyundai is determined to change all this. The carmaker is currently working on a 5.0 liter V8 powerplant that would deliver 429 hp, 17 hp more than the Mustang GT’s 5.0 V8 unit, as Car and Driver reports.

During a drive test event held in South Korea, Hyundai revealed the fact that it is developing the new engine, which will be called 5.0 liter Tau, starting from 4.6 liter V8 that currently powers the Genesis sedan.

The original engine block will be bored out, with the unit receiving a direct injection system. The new Tau powerplant is expected to offer 429 hp at 6,500 rpm and 376 lb-ft at 5,000 rpm.

Hyundai’s upcoming 5.0 liter V8 will be matted to an eight speed automatic transmission. The gearbox has been developed in-house and will also be produced by Hyundai.

The new V8 5.0 liter Tau engine from Hyundai should become available sometime in mid-2011. The engine is also expected to make its way under the hood of the Genesis sedan.

The Genesis is a pretty mad coupe, we have to say: the car seems to be attacking anything that moves (fast) - from MINI Cooper S to Mustang GT.
V8 Genesis Coupe? Yes, please.

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th   #2
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

It's still a Hyundai.......

The reason I can't stand this company is in the early years there test track was the street. The put limited R&D in there cars and the only reason they sold is they were cheap. I admit they are taking steps in the right direction but they still have miles to go.
EvilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th   #3
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
It's still a Neon (SRT), it's still a Cobalt (SS), it's still a Nissan (G35/37).

That saying is so dumb. Yes, it's a Hyundai but it is one mad Hyundai that could quite possibly beat up on some 5.0 Mustang's.

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th   #4
Munchie
Munchie
is purging all the poo out of his life!

Send a message via AIM to Munchie
A v8 Genesis sounds good, but what's the price going to be? You can build the baddest car in the world, but in the end if its too expensive for people to buy it, then there is no point. Also if they want it to go over well they are going to have to recruit some serious aftermarket parts in order to keep up with the Mass amount that the Mustang has.
04 Chevy Trailblazer EXT-family ride
06 Joyner 650 Sand Spider-The Buggy
68 VW Rail Buggy-CNC rail conversion 44" Rear Paddles
85 19ft Bayliner Capri
Munchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th   #5
Munchie
Munchie

With that said I also think the 6cyl models should go after each other also. I think they would be pretty fairly matched.
85 19ft Bayliner Capri
Old July 27th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDM View Post
The put limited R&D in there cars and the only reason they sold is they were cheap. I admit they are taking steps in the right direction but they still have miles to go.
This is the reason I'm wary of this brand. It's one thing to build a company up from scratch from a quality product that caught on. But there was a lot of shadiness with this manufacturer in their early days. That lack of ethics shouldn't be rewarded now that they have the money to develop better products.
Old July 27th   #7
KI4RXM
KI4RXM
is still working

It's all going to come down to price. I think Hyundai is respected enough right now to not be counted as a non-performer right off and get some recognition, but if they price it out of the range of people willing to drive something with the work 'Hyundai' stamped on it, then they will be in trouble.
KI4RXM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th   #8
Munchie
Munchie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=kfF55LIxZo4
After all this did happen in a Genesis!lol
85 19ft Bayliner Capri
Old July 27th   #9
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
This is the reason I'm wary of this brand. It's one thing to build a company up from scratch from a quality product that caught on. But there was a lot of shadiness with this manufacturer in their early days. That lack of ethics shouldn't be rewarded now that they have the money to develop better products.
Point made.

Honestly Beck the only brands I really really hate are Kia, Hyundai, and Susuki.....and it all goes back to lack of R&D before the car hits the road.
Old July 27th   #10
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Suzuki wasn't so bad at this. That's a major manufacturer in India, and they did come up with the hit car, the Aerio SX, that the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, and Nissan something all tried to replace.

Kia and Hyundai both used the same techniques. Oddly enough both are Korean companies. Suzuki is Japanese, but they were manufacturing their cars in Korea that were shipped here, from what I remember.
Old July 27th   #11
ITSFAST
ITSFAST
---BAZINGA!

I always thought it was funny when my "at the time" Korean g/f told me she'd never own a Korean made car. Then again, she was pretty used to BMW, Benz, and Lexus.

I do like the looks, but question how they are in the long run. (like I keep a car long enough to worry about that...)
Old July 27th   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSFAST View Post
I always thought it was funny when my "at the time" Korean g/f told me she'd never own a Korean made car.
I've noticed that interesting cultural tidbit too. It seems all the Asians want German, the Americans want Asian, and the Mexicans want American.
Quote:
...but question how they are in the long run. (like I keep a car long enough to worry about that...)
But while you may not keep them for long, you care for them like you're going to keep them forever. I still remember the day you took me for a test ride in the red Corvette and even after I said I'll take it, you wiped down the sprinkles of rain off of it. I wish I could buy every car you get rid of! lol!
Old July 27th   #13
KI4RXM
KI4RXM
is still working

I guess I'm probably just not quite as anti-Hyundai because I know little of what they were like in the early days. My first exposure was buying an '02 Sonata (the 'mini-Jaguar' looking years) which had 70k miles on it and was still running fine with only new tires and a new timing tensioner at 130k when I sold it. Not to mention the PR campaign was huge when the Montgomery plant opened and some of my friends when I lived in the Montgomery area worked there.
KI4RXM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th   #14
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI4RXM View Post
I guess I'm probably just not quite as anti-Hyundai because I know little of what they were like in the early days. My first exposure was buying an '02 Sonata (the 'mini-Jaguar' looking years) which had 70k miles on it and was still running fine with only new tires and a new timing tensioner at 130k when I sold it. Not to mention the PR campaign was huge when the Montgomery plant opened and some of my friends when I lived in the Montgomery area worked there.
I toured that plant when I work for BASF and it is pretty impressive. I just know my g/f has had $hit for luck with her Tiberon. I keep cars mint and the clear is already starting to come off on the spoiler and I keep the car waxed atleast once every 2 months since we meet (the car was only a year old then). The inteior is ok minus the silver paint around the center vents is starting to peel off. My personall favorite was 2 summers ago the main dash fuse blew about 3 times. I noticed that before it would blow the sun roof would start acting strange. The last time the it blew she took it back and said she didn't want it back until it was right. About 2 weeks later they found where wiring to the sunroof was run through the track of sunroof which was causing it to short and blow the fuse. Also the car has never been able to stay in aligement for more then a month and one of the rear shocks just blew. I'm sure I could think of more crap that has gone wrong with the car but basically my 86 Toyota 4x4 truck I drive every day that has 330K on the body about 15k on the new motor is more dependable then that thing. It will be traded very soon.
Old July 28th   #15
ITSFAST
ITSFAST
---BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
But while you may not keep them for long, you care for them like you're going to keep them forever. I still remember the day you took me for a test ride in the red Corvette and even after I said I'll take it, you wiped down the sprinkles of rain off of it. I wish I could buy every car you get rid of! lol!
Thanks bud. I even wiped the civic off while the family went to get the check from their bank.

Last edited by ITSFAST; July 28th at 06:27 AM.
ITSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th   #16
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks bud. I even wiped the civic off while the family went to get the check from their bank.
You sold the Civic? I thought you still had it? It's so hard to keep up with your cars. We need a 'What's in Richard's Garage' thread to keep up, lol.
Old July 29th   #17
racinfast002
racinfast002
ROLL TIDE YALL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckham View Post
It's still a Neon (SRT), it's still a Cobalt (SS), it's still a Nissan (G35/37).

That saying is so dumb. Yes, it's a Hyundai but it is one mad Hyundai that could quite possibly beat up on some 5.0 Mustang's.
going to have to be one hell of a Hyundai
1999 F250 Crew Cab Coal Smoker on 37's
1999 Formula Fastech 271
1984 Mustang Hatch Turbo
1984 Harley Davidson Sportster 1000 Ironhead
1969 Chevy pickup the keeper
"Straight tracks are for fast cars. Curvy tracks are for fast drivers."
racinfast002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th   #18
YellowCavGuy
YellowCavGuy
has no status.

For those who haven't been keeping up, Hyundai has been talking about the v8 genesis for a while now. Since the beginning actually. Ever since the "Genesis" name was released Hyundai had "ideas" to use the Coupe platform for the future Tiburon. Not only that, but since Hyundai wants to use the Genesis platform for future tibs, that would mean a RWD Tiburon...sweet. Not only that, but the Genesis has been touted that it will eventually get an AWD upgrade later, alongside the V8.

...Hyundai Genesis Coupe V8 AWD = Sex
YellowCavGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th   #19
Dusty
Dusty
has no status.

I would not underestimate what Hyundai can do. They are determined.

Motor Trend tested the 11 Mustang v6, against the 10 Genesis v6, Camaro v6, and Challenger v6. Guess what one they liked best?

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._v6_track.html
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote