Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old August 6th   #1
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

The Huntsville Car Scene 2010 Winter Car and Bike Expo

I know we're deep in the middle of one of the hottest summers in memory, but this is a concept that has been mulling around in my mind for years. And after meeting Jeff from Rocket City Camaros and Dan from Tennessee Valley rx8 Club tonight, I think it's time to share the concept with the scene and see the possibilities of making this happen.

Here's the concept. Imagine a large heated indoor venue filled with vehicles and members from each of the city's car and bike enthusiast organizations in the middle of winter. Each organization with their own area to showcase what they do. Almost like having a booth at a trade show, except with some example vehicles that can be seen by the attendees since that's what every organization has in common. Imagine promotion and support from local radio stations like Star 99 and 103.5, as well as the various city organizations like the Chamber of Commerce and Huntsville Young Professionals. Imagine it being a two day event and being free to the public. Imagine vendor spaces for local companies like stereo shops, performance shops, parts stores, etc.

This is the concept. But the only way it will work is if a significant number of local organizations support the concept and help bring it to life. And the first step is or us to all meet and talk. So who's up for making this meeting happen?
Old August 6th   #2
Bama SRT
Bama SRT
is _______!!!

I'll help, but I'm not in a local club.
65lb. Injectors
Corsa/Mopar Cat-Back

1984 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
Striped down lightweight
Bama SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th   #3
Outlaw77lt
Outlaw77lt
is looking for an s10 or '82-92 camaro body

I believe that would be a great event to make happen. Put AllGen Camaros on that list. We will help in any way possible.
Outlaw77lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th   #4
cruel1hemi
cruel1hemi
has no status.

Send a message via Yahoo to cruel1hemi
Let me know when the meeting will happen. Not sure what we can help with. I dont have many local members but the HemiTruckClub.com Alabama Chapter will help with what we can.

Member of the Board of Directors - HemiTruckClub.com
cruel1hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th   #5
HDP 7
HDP 7
has rotary powah!!!

Send a message via AIM to HDP 7
Only concern is, how would we maintain an event for 2 days to keep spectators interested? I mean, some people develop A.D.D. when it comes to things outside their interest realm.
87 Mazda RX7 TII (drag car)

"When it happens I won't even notice... I'll be too busy looking good!"
HDP 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th   #6
BlueflameFE
BlueflameFE
has no status.

Send a message via Yahoo to BlueflameFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDP 7 View Post
Only concern is, how would we maintain an event for 2 days to keep spectators interested? I mean, some people develop A.D.D. when it comes to things outside their interest realm.
Very true Don. We would have to have some type of demonstrations, raffles, vendor presentations, maybe entertainment.

I want to say that this could be a big event for the Huntsville car scene; EVERYONE!

I say we have a meeting with reps from all the local clubs and explore the feasibility. I'm in BIG TIME!

Dan Fox
Tennessee Valley RX-8(ROTARY) Club LLC
www.tvrx8.org
256-457-6941
BlueflameFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th   #7
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

This is similar to what I was talking to the VW guys, 350Z guys, and then a few of us loners like myself. I think its a neat idea but clubs just aren't for everyone. I know I personally from a few that I've been in I'll never join another one.
EvilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th   #8
racinfast002
racinfast002
ROLL TIDE YALL!

I'd be down to help/plan/pull off an event such as this. You have my number, holller
1999 F250 Crew Cab Coal Smoker on 37's
1999 Formula Fastech 271
1984 Mustang Hatch Turbo
1984 Harley Davidson Sportster 1000 Ironhead
1969 Chevy pickup the keeper
"Straight tracks are for fast cars. Curvy tracks are for fast drivers."
racinfast002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th   #9
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Thank you for all the feedback and support! I'm glad to see that there is a good bit of interest in this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDM View Post
This is similar to what I was talking to the VW guys, 350Z guys, and then a few of us loners like myself. I think its a neat idea but clubs just aren't for everyone. I know I personally from a few that I've been in I'll never join another one.
Clubs may not be for everyone, but their events are for everyone, and that's what makes up the scene around here--not the organizations, but the events. But the events are put on by organizations, so why not let them showcase their events and themselves?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueflameFE View Post
I say we have a meeting with reps from all the local clubs and explore the feasibility.
I wholeheartedly agree. This would be the first step. We need to get the various organization heads to see this thread so we can come up with a date for a meeting.

And this meeting would also be open to all those interested in volunteering and being a part of this effort. This way, you guys know what is being discussed and what direction things are going in. This event is truly a team effort--a team effort by the entire scene.
Old August 11th   #10
Munchie
Munchie
is purging all the poo out of his life!

Send a message via AIM to Munchie
How would one pay for such a space? A space big enough for the many different organizations here in town, if all are willing, would need to be the VBC or somewhere with a large open warehouse. How many cars would be limited to each org would be limited to space I would imagine. Also what about people like Cody, Anthony, Nate, Etc...that have rediculously nice cars but no affiliation with an organization such as a club? Because while they are independently sponsored they all have some of the nicest cars, of their genre, in the scene.
04 Chevy Trailblazer EXT-family ride
06 Joyner 650 Sand Spider-The Buggy
68 VW Rail Buggy-CNC rail conversion 44" Rear Paddles
85 19ft Bayliner Capri
Munchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th   #11
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
I'm sure Sound on Wheels would love to have a booth... maybe a couple of cars we have worked on as well.

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th   #12
twisted metal
twisted metal
rust is a color.

dont know what i could do to help, but count me in.
twisted metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th   #13
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchie View Post
How would one pay for such a space? A space big enough for the many different organizations here in town, if all are willing, would need to be the VBC or somewhere with a large open warehouse. How many cars would be limited to each org would be limited to space I would imagine. Also what about people like Cody, Anthony, Nate, Etc...that have rediculously nice cars but no affiliation with an organization such as a club? Because while they are independently sponsored they all have some of the nicest cars, of their genre, in the scene.
Very good questions Munchie. And the answers to these are what we have to find with our collective resources, wisdom, and experience.

What I envision is the VBC, maybe 3-5 vehicles from each organization along with a 'booth', and a show and shine for all the very nice cars without an affiliation. This would result in a car show of sorts with the opportunity for attendees able to get more involved in the organizations if they desire. With Internet access and power available, I imagine the booths as interactive gateways for the organizations to turn attendees into active members.

I also think a big part of the event would need to be a charity focus like toys for tots or some other local cause that's agreed upon.
Old August 11th   #14
Munchie
Munchie
is purging all the poo out of his life!

Send a message via AIM to Munchie
Jay would be the one to talk to about the T4T stuff.
04 Chevy Trailblazer EXT-family ride
06 Joyner 650 Sand Spider-The Buggy
68 VW Rail Buggy-CNC rail conversion 44" Rear Paddles
85 19ft Bayliner Capri
Munchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th   #15
Outlaw77lt
Outlaw77lt
is looking for an s10 or '82-92 camaro body

How about those without a club be the " HuntsvilleCarScene.com " display?
Outlaw77lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th   #16
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw77lt View Post
How about those without a club be the " HuntsvilleCarScene.com " display?
I'd be fine by that. It's a detail we can work on once the bigger parts get worked out. The first step is to get the first meeting put together.
Old August 11th   #17
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchie View Post
Jay would be the one to talk to about the T4T stuff.
I know he's done events, the Vets with Vettes have done them, the North Alabama VW Club has done one, the North Alabama British Motoring Society has, and maybe even the Rocket City Mustang Club. So there's a lot of collective knowledge if that's the charity we all decide.
Old August 11th   #18
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Send a message via AIM to JayMack75 Send a message via Yahoo to JayMack75
Yeah, TFT is the charity that it goes towards. Trust me, they do little to nothing as far as prepping or getting anything done on the show end. All they do is show up to pick up the toys and the money - which is really and truly all I ever intended to do in the first place.

Just let me know when you're going to have it and I'll get a vendor booth!
Old August 20th   #19
calinkaos
calinkaos
has no status.

To keep interest maybe having car scene celebritys make appearance. Get some big names to draw in crowds. maybe some live music by local bands?
Only thing I would worry about is how bad of a winter are we gonna have with such an insanely hot summer.
calinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th   #20
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

The initial draw will probably have to be just the vehicles themselves, which seems to be a pretty good draw in general around here. Hundreds of people every weekend stop by at car shows just because they saw the cars there. I think having the local morning personalities from star 99 or another station would be a pretty good draw. That's why a strong radio partner will be important along with the enthusiast organizations and community's support.