Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

StageZero Little River Canyon Cruise 2010
Calendar: Events Calendar
EvilZ  
November 13th 08:00 AM to 05:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: Meet at Walmart, 2200 Sparkman Drive, Huntsville by 9am
Contact: Erv of StageZero 205.332.9220, clintjohns 256-4two6-7two05, Samir 615-512-5520

Huntsville attendees will meet either at the Walmart on Sparkman by 9am or at the Walmart in Fort Payne right off of 59n by 11am. Here's a link to a map of the whole Huntsville route:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...165f495303&z=9
And here's the Birmingham route:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...001730103&z=10

When: Nov 13, 2010 Where:Meet at Home Depot in Trussville at 8:00AM and then travel 90+ miles to Little River Canyon National Preserve.

What to Find: Spend the day driving the roads and enjoying the awesome view in one of only a handful of National Preserves in the US and one of the best parks in Alabama.

Itinerary:
Meet at Home Depot in Trussville at 8AM.
Leave Trussville no later than 8:30AM. No exceptions.
Meet with NE/East Alabama people @ Cracker Barrel in Gadsden,AL 9:30AM.
Light Breakfast @ Cracker Barrel
Fuel Stop - Everyone needs to have enough fuel once we enter the park to drive at least 70 miles. During this time we will also convene in a parking lot near the entrance for group photo op.
Arrive at the park around 11AM.
Stop at the falls for a break/photo op and pre-run meeting/safety talk
Travel the 22 miles to the Canyon Mouth Park via Little River Canyon Pkway, possibly stopping at the overlooks on the way.
Arrive at the Canyon Mouth Park. Spend time taking photos, hiking, swimming, fishing, etc etc.
Cookout something simple for lunch. Grill hotdogs, hamburgers etc.
Cruise back up LRC Parkway.
If time allows, drive to Desoto Falls.
Leave park.
Stop somewhere around Gadsden to refuel if necessary

First leg:
Little River Canyon falls to County Road 275

Second:
County Road 275 to Canyon Mouth Park

Notes:
There is no entrance fee to the Preserve, however there is a 3$ fee at Canyon Mouth Park. This cost is per car.
NO ALCOHOL WILL BE PERMITTED ON THIS CRUISE. THIS IS A DRIVING EVENT.
I suggest everyone bring something to drink with them into the park as there are no places to stop once you get into the preserve.
no crossing double yellows, and drive at your pace, courteously. (if you are gonna to leisurely drive through please try to get out in the back)

There should be a group leaving from Huntsville and meet them in Ft. Payne. Not really sure on the times on that yet but I'd think around 8:30ish.........

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

What started out as a little cruise to Little River Canyon near Fort Payne has grown into one of the largest cruising events in North Alabama. Over 40 cars were at the staging point at the Walmart in Fort Payne, turning the parking lot into an instant car show.

For the Huntville group it started at the Wal-mart on Sparkman drive where a small group of cars grew into almost over 20. And it was a great blend of everything any enthusiast would love--from Camaros to classics, to Mustangs, to Subarus, Evo's, and even a Porsche and a rat rod.

When Wilson pulled in and parked, his wheel was turned all the way to expose some really dangerous tire wear--his far inner edge on one of his front tires was all the way to the steel belts.

He opted to quickly get a replacement tire and still come on the cruise, and was able to join up with us at the Walmart in Fort Payne.

I had a car show right down the street that I was also trying to cover, so I ran over there and then was playing catch up to the rest of the group. As I was passing the Shell on 72, I noticed a bunch of Corvettes staged for a cruise of some sort, so I slammed on the brakes and took a few pictures. It was the Untouchables Corvette club, our local member of the International Council of Corvette Clubs.

I was able to catch up to the tail end of the group pretty quickly and FRS 2-way radios made communication easy and painless. The long single file of cars was pretty impressive and were turning heads everywhere we went.

We arrived in Fort Payne ahead of the Birmingham group to a meet a few cars from Georgia that were already there. Almost instantly, the Walmart shoppers started to take notice of all the cars as we got out and started to meet everyone.

George Newsome aka shadow-fixer, Huntsville Car Scene's newest staff photographer met up at the Walmart and took quite a few pictures. He covers a lot of the events on this side of North Alabama and you've been seeing a lot of his work already, and will be seeing even more in 2011. He also does car shoots very, very regularly, so be sure to keep him in mind. It was good to see you again George!

We mingled for what seemed like only 10-15 minutes (but was actually more like 40 minutes) when the parade of cars from Birmingham led by Erv arrived in the parking lot.

After some more mingling and picture taking, everyone was present. Erv addressed the drivers and got us to group ourselves into two groups of 'crusing' and 'spirited'. Erv led the crusing group while FlipC led the spirited group. In the end, traffic on the canyon road pretty much made the groupings pointless, but that's 20/20 hindsight.

I rolled out after everyone else being the sweeper on the way to the Canyon. Along the way, Curtis in the Tempest pulled over and the rest of us behind him stopped as well. He had streded a belt, so everyone ran down to the parts store and helped him get back running. He and the group helping him never made it to the canyon, but instead opted for a meal in Fort Payne.

I raced to catch up to the packs ahead of me, but noticed that I must have taken a wrong turn when I passed the canyon falls parking lot. I was then met by a string of cars from our group travelling the other way that must have done the same thing I did. I turned around and quickly played catch up to find everyone else. It was funny to watch people at the 180 turns that had lookouts look at me as I approached the corner in disbelief as I quickly turned without screeching the tires--it's called setting up for the turn people, and yes, it can even make an Accord corner faster.

I found the tail end of the cruising group that I had been with earlier and followed them since I had no idea where I was going anymore. Luckily, Clint was leading us and had a good idea of where to go, leading us right down to the canyon park where everyone else was.

At the bottom of the canyon, it was re-hashing the runs, enjoying the food, photographs, and fun. Everyone was hungry, that's for sure, and the food line kept the chefs busy for almost an hour.

Slowly, people had to leave to get back home. Clint mentioned the Vets with Vettes group passing them on the way back home. Too bad they didn't join us at the bottom of the hill. There was enough food for them. Maybe next year. Erv and the Birmingham group stayed to play a little frisbee and hang out, and I stayed with them to hang out.

I followed Erv and the group back out the same way we came in although Clint and Flip and Dana found that the other entrance to the canyon park was a quicker way out. I didn't want to risk getting lost, so I just took the fun route. Besides, I didn't have much of a chance to 'drive' the canyon anyways, so it was a fun way back home. On the way out, Joey's GTO had sucked up a bunch of leaves, so we all stopped to clean it out before heading on. The front grills were like a vacuum cleaner, sucking your hand to them if you put it close enough.

I parted with the group when they returned to the Walmart in Fort Payne. What a cool day.

I want to thank Erv for spearheading such a great event, Clint, Flip and Dana for coordinating the Huntsville group, and everyone from all over who helped out and came along on this cruise. I also want to give extra thanks to all those that got Huntsville Car Scene.com stickers. Thank you for the support!

I can't wait until next year. We'll make this is the best yearly cruise in the state.
10 members will be attending this event:

Old October 12th   #2
Outlaw77lt
Outlaw77lt
is looking for an s10 or '82-92 camaro body

My club went there on sept 18 for the same cruise only to find that the road was baracaded off at the 2nd overlook, which is about 4 miles into the cruise. The falls parking lot is also under construction as well. I'm not sure about how long it may be like this, but yall may want to check on it before you go all the way over there for nothing.
Outlaw77lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th   #3
Wilson!
Wilson!
is wishing he was in a kayak on the river...

The wife and I are going to try and make this. Had a good time last time we went.

Last edited by Wilson!; October 12th at 05:26 PM.
Wilson! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Where is this originally posted? It would be nice to have some contact points since there is statewide coordination involved.
Old October 12th   #5
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

I got it off HSV Racing...........not really sure who the point guy is. It's to early for me to say for sure i'll be able to make it or i would be.
EvilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Here's a link I found about the 2009 event:
http://dixiemusclecars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3750
Old October 13th   #7
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

We're good to go, just saw this posted by a guy from Birmingham. "alrighty, just got off the phone with the LRC superintendent. She said the reason that the road was shut down was that they were installing culverts and resurfacing the road and are actually hoping to be reopeneing either today or tomorrow. She also said that when we were planning on going up there the new parking lot at the falls should be completed."
Old October 13th   #8
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

id be interested, but if its all new cars, and your going to run 65-70 going over there then maybe not. Anybody in some muscle going -
Old October 22nd   #9
Erv
Erv
has no status.

There will be all sorts of cars, new and old, domestic and import. We have had this cruise 2 yrs now and this will be the third year.
Erv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd   #10
BlueflameFE
BlueflameFE
has no status.

Send a message via Yahoo to BlueflameFE
TVRX8 did this in 2007 and it was a blast. I'm in.
BlueflameFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Great to hear! Looks like this will end up being an all-genre all-encompassing cruise that will pull a lot of local groups together.
Old October 24th   #12
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

I have some muscle car people interested in doing this cruiz - we need to know where you are planning on leaving from and what time:d
Old October 24th   #13
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I know the local Subaru group is also coming on this cruise. Maybe we can set up a meet point for everyone in our area and one meet point on the other side.
Old October 24th   #14
Erv
Erv
has no status.

I am still trying to find a location big enough for our entire group in FT. Payne, unfortunately the only places I know of are private property. If anyone has any input, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old October 24th   #15
Lstarz14
Lstarz14
is chillin

might have to come out for this......???
Lstarz14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th   #16
Outlaw77lt
Outlaw77lt
is looking for an s10 or '82-92 camaro body

Wal Mart is only 4-5mi from the base of the mtn and located right at i59.
Outlaw77lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th   #17
Erv
Erv
has no status.

left side or right side off 59n?
Old October 25th   #18
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

yeah I was thinking a wal-mart parking lot - I've got some guys in Muscle cars wanting to do this cruiz - Kenny you up for it. We need to meet somewhere in Huntsville and head out. What about the parking lot of wal-mart at sparkman and the pkwy. Then just take sparkman straight across to HWY 72 East.

How long will it take to get there running 60. hour and half or so
Old October 25th   #19
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

When my dad drives his car from Scottsboro to Madison it takes him a little over an hour (4.10's and a turbo 400 trans blows if your trying to go anywhere, but he managed do 2 legs of the power tour with it.). I'd think you could easily get from where you talking about the wal mart in ft. payne in an hour and a half.

Last edited by EvilZ; October 25th at 10:20 AM.
Old October 25th   #20
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

check out this video from a Motorcycle helmet cruizing the canyon. WOW now I for sure want to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PMhrMOQB3A

Last edited by clintjohns; October 25th at 11:02 AM.
clintjohns is offline   Reply With Quote