Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Test and Tune/King of the Street
Calendar: Events Calendar
EvilZ  
November 21st 12:00 PM to 05:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: Huntsville Dragway, 502 Quarter Mountain Rd, Harvest, AL 35749

HSVRacing is doing the king of the street event on Sunday the 21st. Just figured if any one wanted to come out and spectate I'd give you guys the heads up. So far we've got a pretty good car count and should be a fun day of racing.

From the discussion thread:

""*** This Sunday November 21st. Gates open earlier but we will start racing at 2:00***

What is it: A drag race for street cars, with several ET classes to provide everyone an opportunity to compete.
Where is it: Huntsville Dragstrip (go to huntsvilledragway.com for directions and contact information).
When is it: Sunday November 21st ( will move to the 14th if track is closed. )
How much: Standard entry fee of $15 to race or watch (12 & under free).

Race Format:

• Participants must be a member of HSVRacing.com
• King 1-7 cars must be street legal: tags (no borrowed dealer tags) & registration, working lights, mufflers, DOT tires. All power adders are allowed and recommended.
• Participants must pre-register by sending a PM or post in this thread. Please include user name, car year/model, and which bracket you want to enter.
• Each participant will select one ET class per vehicle to enter. Changes are permissible up to the time brackets are finalized.
• Brackets will be drawn up by random selection, on race day.
• Event will be run on a .400 second Pro Tree (red light loses).
• 7.99 seconds or faster requires a helmet.
• Participants are encouraged to make test passes before the 2:00 start of race.
• This will be a single elimination race.
• ET class breakout will result in a loss.
• Final round competitors will be allowed to negotiate race terms before their final race (i.e. apply a no breakout rule)
• Class winners will receive a trophy and custom Rank Title on HSVRacing.com.

Race Classes:
• King of the Street: This will be an unlimited, heads-up, run-what-you-brung race. Door slammers only; no tube chassis (back halves OK); street car restrictions do not apply.
• King 1: 6.00 to 6.49
• King 2: 6.50 to 6.99
• King 3: 7.00 to 7.49
• King 4: 7.50 to 7.99
• King 5: 8.00 to 8.49
• King 6: 8.50 to 8.99
• King 7: 9.00 to ∞
• Pump Gas Class: Participants will have the option of creating a pump gas, heads-up, DOT tire class on race day.

Note: This race is not sponsored by hsvracing.com

Back by popular demand, it’s time for the Fall 2010 King of the Street (KOTS) drag race. The April race was a lot of fun, but it is time to challenge to reigning Kings, and see who has actually been working on their cars this summer vs sitting on the couch with cold A/C. One thing we learned from the Spring race is, after the brackets are drawn up it will be the responsibility of the racers to pair up and make their passes. We won’t try to line everyone up by classes. Once a race is completed, return to the race coordinator and show them your results. Winners will be paired up, and can advance to the next round at their convenience. Also note that starting this Fall 2008 race, we will limit participation to HSVRacing.com posting members only."

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

I arrived at the track just as it opened and watched the dark clouds roll by overhead. There wasn't any prediction for rain, but it sure looked like it. But as the day went on, the clouds got higher and lighter, providing a nice soft light to photograph the awesome cars that were going to be going down the 1/8th mile track.

I learned a little bit about the history of this track--how the paddock was actually on the other side of the track back in the day, how a tornado in the 90s devastated a good part of the track and cars and rigs that were parked there in preparation for a big race weekend, and how the residents in the newly built housing communities around the track shouldn't be complaining about the noise because they should have known it was here before they moved.

As cars started to show up and get ready, there was a really good feel to the day. The weather was turning out to be perfect, and the number of cars showing up for the King of the Street was impressive at 11am. A lot of people thought it might not have come together since it only does every few years, but this was one of the times when it did.

Initially, only one lane was open for runs, and people started getting in some base passes to dial-in in preparation for the race. The King of the Street competition is essentially heads-up style bracket racing with different classes for each time bracket.

Unfortunately, two Corvette z06s quickly found their drivetrain limits, breaking something at the line on their first pass.

As the start time for the King of the Street approached, the staging lanes were packed with cars ready to get in a pass or two before racing. But then both lanes had timing issues. This lasted for almost an hour as track officials tried to figure out what was wrong.

There was a short meeting to get King of the Street organized, as well as a backup plan in place to just hand flag and use 2-ways to determine the winner. But shortly after that, the timing system started working again.

I roamed around the paddock for quite a while taking pictures of the various cars and people that were there before heading up to the grandstands to shoot video. Kara and I had some fun taking pictures with a 6.00 Mustang with 800hp that was going to try Nitrous for the first time to get a good solid 5 second pass.

I tried to get pictures and video of every car and every run, but it was hard to tell who was part of the King of the Street and who wasn't as there wasn't too much information for the spectators.

There were some amazingly fast cars and drivers including Performance Fuel System's Alan Kennedy with a crazy fast turbo Mustang and Titan Motorsports driver Gary White. It was good to see you both.

After all the racing was over and the final runs were done, everyone was pretty hungry. And a good sized group of us ended up at Beauregards. I was really hungry and downed two burgers. Too bad I didn't check my ticket as I think I got charged for more. I think I was just too happy to have eaten. After the meal, there was still some hanging out and talking in the parking lot until everyone headed home.

A long day but really fun. It was great to meet everyone and see everyone run. I didn't realize I was lucky enough to see more racing than anyone, even though it was through a camera lens. See everyone next time. -- Samir
1 members will be attending this event:

Old November 15th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Thank you for the post! This was a good series whenever someone had enough initiative to put it on.
Old November 15th   #3
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

It'd be great if you could come out and video.........right now we've got almost 8 cars per class......except for the few fastest classes. It should be a blast.

I know right now there's tons of vette and even a new GTR that is going to be coming out.
EvilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Yeah, I'm reading the discussion thread right now...and trying to find the relevant information...lol...

Last edited by Samir; November 15th at 09:57 AM. Reason: brain type faster than hands...
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th   #5
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
I'm going to try to make it out there to watch.

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckham View Post
I'm going to try to make it out there to watch.
Good, then you help pass out HCS slips.

Last edited by Samir; November 15th at 10:29 AM.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th   #7
Beckham
Beckham

Yup!

Old November 19th   #8
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

2 full bottle, 5 gallons of 100 octane, a few little tweaks tomorrow and i'm ready to go............this should be a fun event. Even if you don't race you guys should come out and spectate.
Old November 19th   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Sounds good. So I guess I'll see you at a cruise-in Saturday night then?
Old November 19th   #10
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

I'll be by for a few at jeff's maybe. I'm gonna watch the fight with a few freinds saturday night.
Old November 19th   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Cool. See you then or Sunday at the track.
Old November 21st   #12
HDP 7
HDP 7
has rotary powah!!!

Send a message via AIM to HDP 7
Fun event. Glad they were able to get the right lane working again... not that it mattered, I still lost.
87 Mazda RX7 TII (drag car)

"When it happens I won't even notice... I'll be too busy looking good!"
HDP 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st   #13
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

I feel your pain.......i lost mine on the hole shot. All i needed was 10 more feet and I think i would have taken it.
Old November 21st   #14
cmccarthy
cmccarthy
has no status.

Lets see them pics, Samir!
cmccarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd   #15
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

me vs. jp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvMfkm_rzRA

me vs. dad (OleYellow)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sKGG...mjNvDo&index=2

GMAddict vs. OleYellow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-zUeILaj18

Mittens vs. Sloback
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bba3_H9OTtU

That's all I've got.
Old November 23rd   #16
Beckham
Beckham

Definitely had a great time watching!

Old November 23rd   #17
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmccarthy View Post
Lets see them pics, Samir!
Up and posted!
Old November 24th   #18
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Dear god, you actually posted the pictures of me with the bottle and my horribly nasty engine bay..........for the record it will not look like that after winter when i have a chance redo the wiring and nitrous lines nice and neat.

BTW awesome pics and video's.

Last edited by EvilZ; November 24th at 08:25 AM.
Old November 24th   #19
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ51 View Post
Dear god, you actually posted the pictures of me with the bottle and my horribly nasty engine bay..........for the record it will not look like that after winter when i have a chance redo the wiring and nitrous lines nice and neat.

BTW awesome pics and video's.
I thought about not posting the bottle one, lol. But I think the engine bay is pretty cool because it shows that it doesn't have to have to look like a picture perfect car to run well--just be done right. You haven't seen the way the nitrous and fuel gets sprayed in my vette--I think I need one of those throttle body setups.
Old November 24th   #20
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Harris Speed Works makes some awesome kits........that's a pretty basic set up compared to some of there high end direct port stuff stuff.