Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourself here!

Old December 13th   #1
DarkJester
DarkJester
is always working

New Member, not a lurker anymore

Greetings Fellow Gear Heads.
It's good to be social sometimes, apparently.
Not really my forte, but hey I'm willing to give it a shot.

I drive/own a Sebring Silver 2000 Trans Am, not heavily modded, but it has some goodies on it, and I also have a 1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT that belongs to the wife. Both are low mile examples of non-beige fun cars.

<Use deep announcer voice here>
The Muscle Car lives!
The Pontiac Trans Am
<OK, you can turn it off now.>

Looking very forward to hanging out at some of the parking lot drive-in type things, hopefully some of you F-body types will show up and we can jaw about how truly great they are!
Pics of the cars as soon as the construction at the house is complete and it stops snowing at my house.
And, no. I do not have a Mullet, but I have a pony tail.
Because I can.

Jester.
DarkJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th   #2
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
Welcome to the forum!

Looking forward to some pics.

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th   #3
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

AMURIKA!!!!

Welcome, I'm assuming the the T/A is a bolts on car? Manual or Auto?
EvilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Welcome! I have a pony tail too, so it's all good. Can't wait to see pics.
Old December 14th   #5
DarkJester
DarkJester
is always working

I would say all bolt on. Suspension, exhaust, etc. Haven't had it long enough to really play with it yet. And it's an auto. It helps to keep my inner child at bay. But I am considering some stall and perhaps a Tranny from Finishline or someone like them. I like my auto, and I fully understand the implications. The M6 is awesome and it carries a cool factor that the Auto doesn't, but I still like my auto. My 75 had a TH350 and I swapped it out for a TH400 and I used to smoke the 4 speed guys all night long, but that's another story.

Except for this one tilt front end Corvette one night on Drake Av.........

Oh, did I mention that I'm an old guy?

Jester
Old December 14th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJester View Post
Except for this one tilt front end Corvette one night on Drake Av.........

Oh, did I mention that I'm an old guy?
lol, so tell us the full story then. I can only imagine what Drake Ave was like back then.
Old December 14th   #7
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Auto's don't miss gears. I'd take a look at PTC also (located in Muscle Shoals) for your trans and stall. The only bad thing is 460LE trans then to have issues once you start making big power. A friend of mine finally got sick of working on his and just stuck a TH400 in his..........not having over drive does suck but he doesn't daily drive the car so it's not a huge issue to him.

Last edited by EvilZ; December 14th at 10:16 AM.
EvilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th   #8
DarkJester
DarkJester
is always working

This is true. And autos don't suck in traffic, and I do the 565 shuffle everyday. Work in Huntsville and live really close to Cullman.

Drake was a little different back in the late 70's. The A&W was still there, and it was a car show every Friday and Saturday. There were no car lots, and you could cruise from the Krystal on Whitesburg and turn on Drake then hit Braham Springs and go back up Bob Wallace to the Krystal. The light at Leeman Ferry was a good jump, you blew past the A&W in typical show-off fashion and then prep for the curve then nailed it to Braham Springs or to Triana if you were so inclined. There weren't as many traffic signals as I recall, and the cops had other stuff to do.

More?

Jester...
Old December 14th   #9
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

^has heard my dad talk about these days.....
Old December 14th   #10
DarkJester
DarkJester
is always working

OK, That was just so wrong.
Old December 14th   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Drake was a little different back in the late 70's. The A&W was still there, and it was a car show every Friday and Saturday. There were no car lots, and you could cruise from the Krystal on Whitesburg and turn on Drake then hit Braham Springs and go back up Bob Wallace to the Krystal. The light at Leeman Ferry was a good jump, you blew past the A&W in typical show-off fashion and then prep for the curve then nailed it to Braham Springs or to Triana if you were so inclined. There weren't as many traffic signals as I recall, and the cops had other stuff to do.

More?
Yes please.
Old December 14th   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ51 View Post
^has heard my dad talk about these days.....
Quote:
OK, That was just so wrong.
And his dad drives this:

Old December 15th   #13
DarkJester
DarkJester
is always working

How completely Bad-A$$ is that?

My dad had a Pinto, and a Citation. Wow!

Lessee, where was I, Oh yeah I was writing a book...

It was one of those Perfect Nights, not too hot, a really light breeze. It was late so there was very little traffic and most everyone had already gone home or were on their way. I had just come east on Bob Wallace from Jordan lane and hit all the lights Green. Like I said, perfect. I made the light at Leeman Ferry so I turned right on to the Parkway, then Right on to Drake, and caught the light at Leeman just Before A&W. A really nicely modified Corvette pulled up on my left. It had a body kit from Eckler's. I recognized it from the catalog. It was painted "Shark like" Black with a Light Grey fade. Very nice. Sounded like your typical Small Block, and like I said it was a perfect night, so why not? I pointed at the light, and the guy nodded in agreement. We left together, and I pulled 1/2 car ahead by the time we hit the left hand sweeper on Drake.
Then it happened.
I heard a whine. High pitched. Like a large electric turbine had just started up, and he was gone.
I just backed out. Totally Defeated. It could have only been worse if he had signaled and changed lanes on me.
He was waiting at the U-Totum on the corner of Drake and Triana (this was a long time ago) I pulled in to see what it was.
The tilt front end was a giveaway. This guy was serious. And there it was. an underhood supercharger. First time I had ever seen one. It was magnificent. Polished, plumbed, and finished. And quiet. It was actually difficult to hear over the rumble of the exhaust.
All I could say was: "oh". Yep, that was all my 18 yo brain could muster. Oh.
He explained how it worked and what he had done, and boost, and fuel pressure, but I couldn't really hear him. There was a loud whine in my head, the kind you get after sex. Really good sex.
Never got the guys name, but he did have out of state plates, Indiana, Illinois, something like that.
But I never forgot that night. I was hooked. There was no going back. I had been into cars since I was 11. That would be 1971 to you. 2 years before they took the power away by putting AIR pumps and exhaust crossovers and smog pumps.
But there were ways around it. Build it yourself. Bolt-on power. Cams. Intakes. Carbs. Fuel Injection. and now Superchargers.

And there you go. that's not how it started, but that's how the hook got set. One early fall night in 1978.

"I don't remember the Girl, but I remember the car"

Jester
Old December 15th   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Awesome story!
Old December 15th   #15
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Cool story......

Yeah he's pretty cool for an old guy.......lol. I've got a feeling when i go home next week he's going to try and show me tail lights. He keeps telling me he has something for me now so i've got a feeling he put the nitrous back on the car. Little does he know I just got of the phone and a ordered a few goodies, he may get me this time but he better enjoy it while he can.
Old December 15th   #16
DarkJester
DarkJester
is always working

All you have to do is get him somewhere he has to turn and you got him.

Vette Goodies?

Did I mention I really like Corvettes?
Hi, My name is Jester, and I suffer from Vette envy.
I'm going to have one, one day.
I'm really looking forward to the 2013, if it looks anything like the concept, I'm on it like white on rice, like cold on ice, like stink on...well, you know.

I mentioned somewhere that my dad had a Pinto and a Citation. When I was a Kid he had Vette's and Corvairs, and Big Dodge's and Fords with 428's. I guess he grew out of them.

I didn't.

Jester.
Old December 15th   #17
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Why not pick up a c5? They're everywhere and reasonable inexpensive now.
Old December 15th   #18
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
All you have to do is get him somewhere he has to turn and you got him.

Vette Goodies?
Pretty much, and yeah a just a few little parts.........car's basically "stock" (my defintion of stock is ALOT different then most peoples though).......

Samir has a point you can pick up a NICE c5 for down right dirt cheap (12-15k).
Old December 16th   #19
DarkJester
DarkJester
is always working

A C5 would be nice, I do like that body style, but I'm in the process of a house remodel (which includes a garage) so flinging 15K at a Vette isn't possible right now. It's all a matter of priorities. Maybe next year....

Jester
Old December 16th   #20
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Oh yeah, financial priorities are important for sure. And the vette will just be cheaper next year anyways.