Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Show and Shine

Show and Shine Post pictures, videos, and other stuff to look at

Old January 28th   #1
mdb4879
mdb4879
has no status.

1987 Nissan Pulsar

Ok, I know it took me a long time, but as promised here are a few pics of my car. The interior is a little dirty, and the paint isn't all that great, but it's a good little car and pretty fun to drive.

I took these real quick before I went to work, so i'll probably put up some more with the tops off when it warms up.

Mods List:

Stereo
Sony Head Unit
2 12" Sony Xplod Subs
Memphis 1300W Power Reference

Suspension
H&R B12 Sentra Lowering Springs
New OEM Struts

Wheels
E30 BMW Bottlecaps

Other than that everything else is pretty much stock. Nothing really fancy. Although much more is to come... eventually.
Old January 28th   #2
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

I like it, What a cool little car.
Stephen Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th   #3
Malkier
Malkier
has no status.

Awesome! I had an 87 Pulsar when I moved down to Huntsville ... Everything I owned when I finished college fit in the car in one trip. Mostly books, couple of computers and all my clothes!

Wish I still had it. Don't see very many of those around at all. Bought a second one for 50 bucks that drove just for the side windows. If I still had them I would offer them up to you for parts. Good thing is most of the mechanicals are interchangable with Sentra's.
Old January 30th   #4
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Cool! You got the BMW wheels on it now. You were right, they look factory. I haven't been out lately, but I'm sure I'll bump into you again one of these nights. We'll have to catch up on all you've done to the car.
Old January 31st   #5
mdb4879
mdb4879
has no status.

thanks guys. yeah, it had a pretty good bit of space in it until i put the subs in. luckily i found that if i pull down the back seat and put the subs right behind the front seats i can still fit the t-tops in.

i haven't really been out much either samir. i usually close fridays and saturdays, so i don't leave work till about 2am, but i'll still try to get out sometime. and about the only thing that doesn't look factory about the wheels are the BMW logos on them
Old February 4th   #6
Bmanxer
Bmanxer
needs to cut some fenders to lay his baby out!

Nice! What are your plans for it bro?
"I don't care how many times I've heard "I'm done," no one is ever done. You are in this for life. Come girlfriends, wives, kids, or even unemployment, your heart will always be in love with wheels. And so will the rest of us. We all share the same disease."
"Wise men aren't really wise--they've just been around long enough to see everything!"
Bmanxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th   #7
mdb4879
mdb4879
has no status.

well, there's a lot:

-rebuild the original tranny (5th gear was out when i bought it and the original tranny has a bit lower gearing than the one i replaced it with)
-stock lightened flywheel (6lbs shaved off the back side on a brake lathe then rebalanced to zero)
-OEM Datsun 210 pressure plate (RWD, so it had a bit higher clamping force)
-Mallory distributor for A14 adapted for an E16 (20 degrees advance)
-twin side draft 44mm mikuni carbs
-nismo 15M "big valve" head
-nismo double valve springs
-reground Isky cam (270 duration, 0.417" lift, 38 degrees of overlap)
-pacesetter header
-E15et cam gear
-rebuilt bottom end balanced
-stock pistons with valve pockets ground (somewhere between 10:1 and 10.8:1)
-full 2 1/4" exhaust
-Magnaflow 14801 muffler
-SE front bumper and bumper extensions
-painted dark metallic blue (not quite midnight blue) with various interior trim pieces same color
-hood, spoiler, and tail light assembly metallic black (both paint codes already chosen)
-engine bay solid black
-16" OZ Crono HT wheels (probably bright silver finish) with 205/45 R16 tires
-front and rear strut braces
-urethane bushings throughout (if i can find any)
-front and rear swaybars (if i can find any)
-maybe B13 sentra coilovers one day

with this setup i don't know if i will hit this number, but in the long run i want to get around 160-180 horsepower and 130-140 lbs. of torque at the crank. although realistically i think that this cam may limit me to around the 140-150HP range. but it should have power through to about 7k, maybe up to 7500 rpm, but probably no higher than that. i think that if it had the 160-180 i was saying earlier, it might be able to keep up with these new civic si's, and if i do race one and he beats me i'll just say, "look, i pretty much just kept up with you with a 1.6 liter, single overhead cam, 8-valver... that's carbuerated, so wut are you bragging about." really, i'm not looking to make it the fastest car on the street, just a really fun car to drive

with the paint, i want it to look like it may have come from the factory like that, although i don't really know of any cars that had mismatched hoods and such from the factory, but i mean i'll more than likely leave on the plastic trm and paint them with a factory matte black finish, along with mirrors and such parts. i'll pull back the carpet and remove whatever interior pieces neccessary to spray under them so there aren't any tape lines or anything. and probably all of the exterior trim will be removed and the entire panels sprayed. also, probably all or most of the paint will be stripped as i don't know if it will crack underneath and i know it has been hit in the front passenger side.

i'm probably forgetting some things, so i'll let y'all know if i think of anything else that's worth making a post for. and if you have any questions, feel free to ask

i'm a long ways from doing this though, i could start the process here in about a month or two, but i've decided there are more important things i should put my money towards. and sorry for the lack of emoticons or lol's, i've never really been to keen on using them. i just find it too hard to type how i would talk. so don't think i'm totally monotone
Old February 4th   #8
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb4879 View Post
...i want it to look like it may have come from the factory like that, although i don't really know of any cars that had mismatched hoods and such from the factory...
But there was! The Volkswagon Golf Harlequin. And we had one in Huntsville for the longest time:
http://www.autosavant.com/2009/02/27...olf-harlequin/

You've got the details down on your car, but I knew that from the day I met you when you were talking about the engine. I'm not sure how it handles, but with that type of power (and it all looking stock), I bet you'd do pretty good autocrossing the car as well.
Old February 5th   #9
Bmanxer
Bmanxer

Quote:
well, there's a lot:

-rebuild the original tranny (5th gear was out when i bought it and the original tranny has a bit lower gearing than the one i replaced it with)
-stock lightened flywheel (6lbs shaved off the back side on a brake lathe then rebalanced to zero)
-OEM Datsun 210 pressure plate (RWD, so it had a bit higher clamping force)
-Mallory distributor for A14 adapted for an E16 (20 degrees advance)
-twin side draft 44mm mikuni carbs
-nismo 15M "big valve" head
-nismo double valve springs
-reground Isky cam (270 duration, 0.417" lift, 38 degrees of overlap)
-pacesetter header
-E15et cam gear
-rebuilt bottom end balanced
-stock pistons with valve pockets ground (somewhere between 10:1 and 10.8:1)
-full 2 1/4" exhaust
-Magnaflow 14801 muffler
-SE front bumper and bumper extensions
-painted dark metallic blue (not quite midnight blue) with various interior trim pieces same color
-hood, spoiler, and tail light assembly metallic black (both paint codes already chosen)
-engine bay solid black
-16" OZ Crono HT wheels (probably bright silver finish) with 205/45 R16 tires
-front and rear strut braces
-urethane bushings throughout (if i can find any)
-front and rear swaybars (if i can find any)
-maybe B13 sentra coilovers one day

with this setup i don't know if i will hit this number, but in the long run i want to get around 160-180 horsepower and 130-140 lbs. of torque at the crank. although realistically i think that this cam may limit me to around the 140-150HP range. but it should have power through to about 7k, maybe up to 7500 rpm, but probably no higher than that. i think that if it had the 160-180 i was saying earlier, it might be able to keep up with these new civic si's, and if i do race one and he beats me i'll just say, "look, i pretty much just kept up with you with a 1.6 liter, single overhead cam, 8-valver... that's carbuerated, so wut are you bragging about." really, i'm not looking to make it the fastest car on the street, just a really fun car to drive

with the paint, i want it to look like it may have come from the factory like that, although i don't really know of any cars that had mismatched hoods and such from the factory, but i mean i'll more than likely leave on the plastic trm and paint them with a factory matte black finish, along with mirrors and such parts. i'll pull back the carpet and remove whatever interior pieces neccessary to spray under them so there aren't any tape lines or anything. and probably all of the exterior trim will be removed and the entire panels sprayed. also, probably all or most of the paint will be stripped as i don't know if it will crack underneath and i know it has been hit in the front passenger side.

i'm probably forgetting some things, so i'll let y'all know if i think of anything else that's worth making a post for. and if you have any questions, feel free to ask

i'm a long ways from doing this though, i could start the process here in about a month or two, but i've decided there are more important things i should put my money towards. and sorry for the lack of emoticons or lol's, i've never really been to keen on using them. i just find it too hard to type how i would talk. so don't think i'm totally monotone
PHEW! That's a lot of stuff to take in at one time, how long'd it take you to type that!? Lol. (use of emotions) :P (oops did it again!) j/k man!

Nah, don't think you're monotonous at all. If you can find other pulsar owners that are also looking for poly parts, you can get together and submit a request to prothane to do a proto-run. I know they've done them for my 300ZX (nobody makes parts for Z31's anymore, they aren't as cool as the Z33's and so on...boooo ) I have poly throughout my truck and it certainly firms up the handling, but you have to tolerate the squeaking...everybody thinks your driving a busted POS in the winter because EVERY little bump makes your control arm bushings squeak...EVERY...SINGLE...ONE. Speedbumps are embarassing at the gates around redstone...the guards look at my truck like WTF? But I love the extra confidence they give me in my driving, absolutely. Well hey man, for sure whenever you go to start doing some of this stuff, holler at me and I'll be more than glad to help a brother out!
"I don't care how many times I've heard "I'm done," no one is ever done. You are in this for life. Come girlfriends, wives, kids, or even unemployment, your heart will always be in love with wheels. And so will the rest of us. We all share the same disease."
"Wise men aren't really wise--they've just been around long enough to see everything!"
Old February 11th   #10
mdb4879
mdb4879
has no status.

well, i may be at the meet tonight at staples, so if you're there you might see me.

i also have a pinewood derby car i made to scale my car and it has the same paint on it i want for mine, so if i ever get unlazy i'll post some pics of it for you guys
Old February 11th   #11
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
well, i may be at the meet tonight at staples, so if you're there you might see me.

i also have a pinewood derby car i made to scale my car and it has the same paint on it i want for mine, so if i ever get unlazy i'll post some pics of it for you guys
It's going to be cold as $hit tonight. I may ride by for a minute, I have a feeling people might actually be out Saturday night.
Old February 11th   #12
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Quote:
Sounds pretty neat. That will be cool to see the pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ View Post
It's going to be cold as $hit tonight.
Easy on the language Cody. You know the rules.

Last edited by Samir; February 11th at 11:32 AM.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th   #13
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
It's going to be cold as crap tonight. I may ride by for a minute, I have a feeling people might actually be out Saturday night.
Ninja Edit.

Random thought it would be nice to be able to edit post after 5 minutes, not sure what's involved in that though.It would be espically helpful if you were posting something for sale or trying to set up a meet.
Old February 11th   #14
Bmanxer
Bmanxer

Quote:

There's a meet tonight at Staples? What time?
Old February 11th   #15
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmanxer View Post
There's a meet tonight at Staples? What time?
It's not a meet it's just a somewhat popular hang out. It's hit or miss. People show up normally between 9-11 friday and saturday nights.
Old February 11th   #16
Bmanxer
Bmanxer

Quote:
It's not a meet it's just a somewhat popular hang out. It's hit or miss. People show up normally between 9-11 friday and saturday nights.
Well, I'll be out there at 9 if you guys wanna meet up.
Old February 11th   #17
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Quote:
Ninja Edit.
All good.

Quote:
...it would be nice to be able to edit post after 5 minutes...
I thought about this pretty carefully. There's a couple of drawback from extended post editing times. One of the worst cases I saw was when someone got really mad on a car forum where they contributed a lot of valuable information to the community, and they went back and deleted all of it by editing each post. I've also seen people try to twart the system by posting one thing and then editing it just to say what they want and not get caught. I know these are far fetched on here, but better just to have the precaution in place. Besides, posting a correction or additional posts ups your post count.
Old February 11th   #18
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmanxer View Post
Well, I'll be out there at 9 if you guys wanna meet up.
That's a bit early. I've been out there that early and waited around for almost an hour for the bulk of the crowd. Oh, and it's going to be a different crowd than you've seen so far. More of the type we talked about last night.

Last edited by Samir; February 11th at 02:42 PM.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th   #19
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
That's a bit early. I've been out there that early and waited around for almost an hour for the bulk of the crowd. Oh, and it's going to be a different crowd than you've seen so far. More of the type we talked about last night.
you mean import driving hipsters?
Old February 11th   #20
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Quote:
you mean import driving hipsters?
Nah, we weren't talking about the type of cars--that really doesn't matter. We were talking about the different social cultures in different groups and situations. He's not seen this side of Huntsville yet, that's all. You know I'm not one to be biased. I love everything, lol.