Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Show and Shine

Show and Shine Post pictures, videos, and other stuff to look at

Old February 4th   #1
Bmanxer
Bmanxer
needs to cut some fenders to lay his baby out!

Talking How to reupholster your sunvisors

Attached are some photos I took during the reupholstering of my interior. Check out my FB page: "Do It Big Motorsports Alabama Chapter" for all of the pics and progress on my truck thus far! And I most certainly don't mind it when you give my page a "like!" :P

Ok, materials I used:
3M 90 Hi-Strength Spray Adhesive (1 Can, Purchased from Hancock's)
Cardboard (Had this lying around)
Elmer's Foam Board (Got it for 3 bucks at Target)
Clothespins (Buck fifty at Target)
Headliner material (Will use less than a yard, but I bought a square yard. 12 bucks a yard though. Purchased from Hancock's)
Suede fabric (On sale for 4.99/yard, also from Hancock's)
Scissors

1. Carefully disassemble your sunvisors so you can get the proper shape/size of your carboard bindings and your supporting core.

2. If your core (or whole sunvisor) for that matter was ruined due to any number of things, such as: age, moisture, sunlight, or a combination of them, you may want to create an entirely new visor like I have.

3. Remove old bindings and core from old visor and however they are attached. My cores were bound to a swingplate with staples.

4. Trace new cores (Elmers Foam Board was chosen for it's lightness and rigidity)

5. Attach your new cores to your supporting structure. Mine was a swingplate.

6. Now trace your old cardboard bindings out onto a new piece of cardboard and cut them out.

7. At this point you're going to want to do a dry test fit of your cardboard bindings over the top of your core and swingplate to make sure they even up. Thin out material as necessary along the inside of the binding's spine so it can bend correctly over the swingplate and rod. Trim your core so that it is approx 3/4"-1" inside of the perimeter of your bindings to allow your foam fabric to have a place to fold into without exposing the core.

8. Test fit how your entire assembly will swing up and down to make sure you don't hit anything, trim as necessary.

9. Now at this point if you are using a fabric OTHER than what is provided on your headliner material, this would be the time to glue it down. Lay your outer fabric FACE DOWN and coat with the spray glue. Then spray the fabric, not foam, side of your headliner material and VERY CAREFULLY lay your headliner material onto your fabric to create a smooth gluing and nice looking flat surface once flipped over.

10. Glue your cardboard binding flat against the foam of your headliner/fabric sandwich using the same procedure of step 9.

11. Now, starting along a straight flat spot, dry fold your fabric over and wherever your next bend or angle is fold that spot over. It will then push up the fabric/foam from between the two folds. Use your scissors and cut that point of fabric that sticks up, doing this will allow you to smoothly create a curve with your fabric One thing I've found is the more little snips are better than a few big ones around curves, it gives it a smoother look. It should look something like this when you're done trimming.

NOTE: Watch your fingertips of your supporting hand when snipping fabric away...the end of my scissors got me.

12. Once you're done trimming, spray the binding and the inside of the foam that will be getting folded over. You can either do this very carefully or you can clip it with clothespins as you go along. Whichever you choose ENSURE that you pull your fabric tight around the edges, this will create a uniform edge without hills or valleys.

13. After that's folded over and glued securely and holding it's own, spray your swingplate/supporting rod/core assembly on both sides with adhesive. Then spray the ENTIRE interior surface of your visor and sandwich your binding/fabric over your swingplate assembly. You will want to use some sort of clamps for this, I found clothespins to work well with this. Also, make sure when you spray your glue you leave just about 1/4" or less of unglued edge around the perimeter of your binding/fabric, so when your visor dries, you can't see the glue in the center, just clean fabric.

14. Once your entire visor has dried, remove your clothespins and enjoy the beauty that you've created. I really like the look of my suede skinned visors. Also, the foam of the headliner material gives the visors a nice soft feel to them.

Let me know if this helps or not! Thanks!
"I don't care how many times I've heard "I'm done," no one is ever done. You are in this for life. Come girlfriends, wives, kids, or even unemployment, your heart will always be in love with wheels. And so will the rest of us. We all share the same disease."
"Wise men aren't really wise--they've just been around long enough to see everything!"
Bmanxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Wow, what a neat project. How long did this take you?
Old February 7th   #3
Bmanxer
Bmanxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
Wow, what a neat project. How long did this take you?
About 10 or so hours between the two of them.
"I don't care how many times I've heard "I'm done," no one is ever done. You are in this for life. Come girlfriends, wives, kids, or even unemployment, your heart will always be in love with wheels. And so will the rest of us. We all share the same disease."
"Wise men aren't really wise--they've just been around long enough to see everything!"
Old February 7th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Great documentation! I would've forgotten stuff over the course of 10 hours.
Old February 7th   #5
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
Definitely lots of work for sun visors.

When we re-did my headliner, I just took the sunvisors off. Haha

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckham View Post
When we re-did my headliner, I just took the sunvisors off. Haha
I didn't realize this until I started thinking about it, but I always have my sunvisor down. I guess it's to narrow the amount of information my eyes are trying to process. I do drive a lot slower when I put it up. Interesting.
Old February 7th   #7
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
I can't even remember a time where I've used mine, so I just deleted them haha.

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th   #8
calinkaos
calinkaos
has no status.

With as narrow as my windshield is I dont even think I have sun visors... ?

Nice project tho! The look even better in person!
Old February 12th   #9
Bmanxer
Bmanxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by calinkaos View Post
With as narrow as my windshield is I dont even think I have sun visors... ?

Nice project tho! The look even better in person!
Lol, thanks Jesse. I'm sure if you put sunvisors down in your car it'd be something similar to closing your eyes haha.