Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old February 16th   #1
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

What would you do?

Took the fender to a brand name body shop here in huntsville. Talked to the shop owner about fixing the very bottom rust on the fender. He mentioned the dent that is in the top of the fender. He said he could fix it but it would require painting the whole fender and might have a color matching issue. So we decided to not fix the dent to avoid a color matching issue and simply repair the bad spot on very bottom of the fender.

4 days later I went and picked it up. It looked good, but looked like the whole fender was painted. I asked a different guy and he said maybe they just cleared the whole fender. I said I hope so.

Got the fender on and washed the car - IT DOESN'T MATCH.

I call the guy and he says bring it back down here so he can look at it. He says they ran into something on the fender and had to paint the whole thing? I told him he should have called me instead of just doing it.

I load the car on the trailer and take it back down - He looks and agrees that the color is "close" but will need to be blended into the door to make it look right. He said to bring it back later and he would do it for $150!!!!

What the crap - so i have to pay him to fix the very issue we had discussed avoiding that he created?!?!?

Ive got a call into corporate to see how they feel it should be handled.
Old February 16th   #2
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
They should definitely fix it for free.

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th   #3
MOONW
MOONW
has no status.

would`nt you think it would be asking too much to ask a body shop to perfectly match paint on body panels .. my new toyota was wrecked and the paint does not match on it ..
MOONW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th   #4
willyplankhead
willyplankhead
if u cant say nothing nice atleast make it funny

Not picking on u here but u mentioned a call into headquaters what shop is it? sounds franchise to me.and the price he said to blend the door to match is cheap.and I think I know what problem he ran into. and BTW if u gona fix one thing on a fender fix everything that's wrong with it so now I guess u got a shiny dent to go along with the color issue?
willyplankhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th   #5
willyplankhead
willyplankhead

There are no short cuts in paint and bodywork. the work is only as good as the person doing it.your best painters are in independent shops
Old February 16th   #6
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

Angry

the problem is the fact that the decision to not fix the dent was to avoid the exact issue I have now. I took the fender to them for the simple reason that it was a rust issue that I wanted repaired only to keep it from getting bigger. I even made the comment to him that it was low enough on the fender that it wouldn't matter if it was a little off, because you will never notice it since the car sits so low.

And yes i have a shinny dent, a mismatched fender, and an empty wallet. The price to blend the door is cheap, but blending only the door doesn't solve the issue since the hood, cowl, and door need attention.

It's the simple point that they made a decision to paint the whole fender after he point blank told me that it could have a color matching issue, then wants to charge me to fix it. If he had called I would have brought the car down and they could have done it all at once!!!
Old February 16th   #7
willyplankhead
willyplankhead

Sounds like a shat shop to me at least they should have fixed the dent having to paint it anyway.I know what its like to be on a budget for stuff to get done.
Old February 16th   #8
mailman
mailman
uses spellcheck to avoid looking stupid

So, whats different about this? You NEVER get what you want from people anymore. He probably handed it off to someone else and never discussed it or the other guy forgot. Like the old saying, if you want it done right, you have to do it yourself.
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th   #9
willyplankhead
willyplankhead

When I worked for the public doing this same thing I treated everything like it was my own. I got lots of over bearing and dumb request but still did them even when I tried to talk the customer out of it. if any paint shop employee's don't do it they need to find another line of work.I quit because it took the enjoyment out of it that I had when I started.didn't even want to work on my own stuff cause u do it for a living u don't want to do it at home. The problem of the "doing it yourself" doesn't work for most. And mostly the paint shops now rarely do anything other than insurance work because they don't have to worry about getting paid and a lot of your shop employee's now know panel replacement only and no nothing of the old school ways I was trained.
Old February 17th   #10
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
So, whats different about this? You NEVER get what you want from people anymore. He probably handed it off to someone else and never discussed it or the other guy forgot. Like the old saying, if you want it done right, you have to do it yourself.
There is a serious problem with atention to detail and work ethic around here. And I think it even can be said for our country as a whole. We're becoming too complacent and too lazy--to the point where we cannot even serve ourselves anymore.

I agree that if you want something done right you have to do it yourself. But there's a cost to this too. I have over $100k in cars sitting right now because I'm afraid of paying someone to make a small problem into a big one. And this hurts the economy, hurts me, and makes everything stagnent.

We need to get back to the principles that this country was founded on, the ones that made us into the great nation that we are (were). I know that there's a small percentage of us that still believe in these principles, and interestingly enough, we are the leaders--in the car scene, in the organizations we're involved with, in life, in the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyplankhead View Post
When I worked for the public doing this same thing I treated everything like it was my own. I got lots of over bearing and dumb request but still did them even when I tried to talk the customer out of it. if any paint shop employee's don't do it they need to find another line of work.I quit because it took the enjoyment out of it that I had when I started.didn't even want to work on my own stuff cause u do it for a living u don't want to do it at home. The problem of the "doing it yourself" doesn't work for most. And mostly the paint shops now rarely do anything other than insurance work because they don't have to worry about getting paid and a lot of your shop employee's now know panel replacement only and no nothing of the old school ways I was trained.
Getting burned out on something you initially loved is a common problem of taking a passion and turning it into work. My friend Clint who used to the be the lead Porsche technician felt that way. He had project cars and trucks he never finished because it felt like work versus a passion. It's even a feeling I know it all too well.

I love computers and cars and I spend every waking, living breathing moment immersed in them. But 90% of my day is work that I love. The day my passion is gone, the day I'll probably want to stop because this is serious work.
Old February 17th   #11
mailman
mailman
uses spellcheck to avoid looking stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
There is a serious problem with atention to detail and work ethic around here. And I think it even can be said for our country as a whole. We're becoming too complacent and too lazy--to the point where we cannot even serve ourselves anymore.

I agree that if you want something done right you have to do it yourself. But there's a cost to this too. I have over $100k in cars sitting right now because I'm afraid of paying someone to make a small problem into a big one. And this hurts the economy, hurts me, and makes everything stagnent.

We need to get back to the principles that this country was founded on, the ones that made us into the great nation that we are (were). I know that there's a small percentage of us that still believe in these principles, and interestingly enough, we are the leaders--in the car scene, in the organizations we're involved with, in life, in the country.
Getting burned out on something you initially loved is a common problem of taking a passion and turning it into work. My friend Clint who used to the be the lead Porsche technician felt that way. He had project cars and trucks he never finished because it felt like work versus a passion. It's even a feeling I know it all too well.

I love computers and cars and I spend every waking, living breathing moment immersed in them. But 90% of my day is work that I love. The day my passion is gone, the day I'll probably want to stop because this is serious work.
Well said, Samir
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th   #12
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

I got a call from their Corparate HQ yesterday. As soon as she talks to them she will call me back.
Old February 18th   #13
Minichado
Minichado
could use a mental health day

Do you have documented when you dropped off the fender showing the requested work to be done (in writing?). If you have a document explicitly stating the work to be done then anything they did above and beyond that is a) excess work that was specifically not asked for, and you should take that documentation to whatever higher source and have them fix it.

At least I hope there is a document :/ I do a lot of document control at my job and usually if someone complains enough until there is no sheet of paper then we are at fault... and as such, we keep excellent records, and keep our ducks in a row ^.^

Samir is onto something I have noticed with the up and coming (/my) generation with regard to lack of work ethic. I don't know what has gotten into folks, but I am sure afraid of the next 20 years when those are the folks who will be attempting to run things around here.
Minichado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minichado View Post
Samir is onto something I have noticed with the up and coming (/my) generation with regard to lack of work ethic. I don't know what has gotten into folks, but I am sure afraid of the next 20 years when those are the folks who will be attempting to run things around here.
It is an interesting phenomenon, and was a nearline topic at a conference I just got back from.

I think it's attributed to 'free'. Free music, free Internet, free whatever. When people are used to 'free', they're not going to work or pay for it. This is the 'freebie' generation. They know the way to get stuff free, so why pay or work for it?

The problem is that none of this is truly free. Just like welfare, the rest of us pay for their freebies. And that means that the select few that produce will not only have everyone mooching off of them, but also will have a lot of power and control, which in itself can be monetized. It's interesting to watch as I see some of this start to unfold in the world.
Old February 18th   #15
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

As far as Clint's original problem. The question is what do you want them to do now? They've already messed up by painting your entire fender. Can they do precise color-matching to make it match the rest of the car? Or would they have to paint the rest of the car? And would you want them painting the rest of the car?

In situations like this, I've found that it's easiest just to get your money back and move on to someone that can fix not only your original problem, but also the new one you now have. It costs more dollar-wise, but that's a lesser pain than all the aggrivation of getting someone to do something right that they have no interest in doing right.
Old February 19th   #16
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minichado View Post
Do you have documented when you dropped off the fender showing the requested work to be done (in writing?). If you have a document explicitly stating the work to be done then anything they did above and beyond that is a) excess work that was specifically not asked for, and you should take that documentation to whatever higher source and have them fix it.
The quote and the bill simply say - Repair Rust on bottom of fender
Old February 19th   #17
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I got a lead on someone who can probably match your existing fender to the rest of the car. Willie Moon has had this gentleman paint several of his cars and matched the paint to show quality--and Willie has the trophies to prove it. Here's the contact information:

Randy Norman
Norms Metal Design
931-625-0617
25 Hudson Dr
Fayetteville, TN 37334
Old February 19th   #18
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

thanks Samir - I am going to let this play out and see what happens. But if I end up just getting my money back, then I'm heading to Fayetville
Old February 23rd   #19
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

Talked to Corporate today after she talked to the shop owner. She said that he was very upset that I contacted them behind his back? He told her to inform me to not worry about the 150 to blend the door because he was not going to fix it at all.

This dude has some balls. The lady said she has never delt with anyone that was so unwilling to work to resolve an issue. She was going to call him back after he cooled down some and try to talk some sense into him. She did say that she couldn't force him to do anything, since it was a franchise location.

Looks like I picked a real winner. Small claims court is where I want to take this just so I can squeeze this dude by the balls and make him squeal. But is it worth 160 bucks to be as bull headed as he is
Old February 23rd   #20
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

This is exactly the type of situation I run into each time I let someone touch one of my cars, even with specific instructions like you gave. That's why I'll just let them all sit until I can fix them myself.

As far as small claims court, you do have a good shot at winning. I know that repair businesses basically have to give in when customers take them to court for a bad engine or whatnot, and I'm sure this would be somewhat similar, albeit harder to prove. But to be honest, I'd just take the fender and call it a lesson learned. I've learned that these things get ugly before they get resolved, and that the company will continue to do business for a long time, even with this type of work. Mainly because their primary business isn't enthusiast's projects.