Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old March 4th   #1
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

My MAACO Huntsville experience

Below is my experience with Maaco in Huntsville AL. Everything below is 100% accurate. Judge for yourself

1-28-11 Took my fender to Maaco of Huntsville for rust repair on fender.
Spoke with the owner Dave. I showed him the rust spot that I needed repaired on the bottom of the driver fender. He pointed out the dent on the top of my fender and wanted to know if I wanted that repaired. I asked if he could fix it, and he told me yes, but it would require painting the whole fender. He also said that I could end up with some color matching issues if I wanted the dent fixed also. So I told him to not worry about fixing the dent since I didn’t want to get into a mismatched fender issue. Only repair the rust and fade the new paint into the bottom portion of the fender. He gave me a written quote for $161.25

2-01-11. I went to pick up my fender at Maaco of Huntsville. The shop owner wasn’t present at the time. It looked like the whole fender had been painted. I asked the person in the front office if this was the case since they were only supposed to paint the bottom portion. He told me that perhaps they just cleared the whole fender to make the finish uniform. I told him I hoped that was the case. Paid the amount on the invoice of 161.25 with my Visa Debt Card

2-13-11 After putting the fender back on the car and washing the entire car it was apparent that the fender wasn’t the correct color. I called that day (Sunday) and left a message saying the fender color wasn’t correct and would like a call back

2-14-11 – After waiting till 11 am with no call from the shop I called them and asked for Dave. I explained to him the situation and his first response was “I never told you we could match that color perfectly” I told him I understood that, but they were not supposed to paint the entire fender, only the lower portion. He said they ran into something and had to paint the whole fender. I told him I would have appreciated a call to let me know this before they painted It so I could have brought the car down to make sure it matched up good before they painted it. He said to bring the car down that day or the next and he would look at it.

2-15-11 Took the car down on my trailer for Dave to look at it. He agreed that in order for the color to better match the car it would require blending the color into the door. I asked about blending the hood and other parts of the car that directly touched the fender also. He said that he wouldn’t fool with them, and only the door. He said he would blend the door for an added price of $150.00. I asked if there was a rush on this or if I could contact him later. He said that there was no rush and I could bring the car back at my convenience. He also asked that I remove the door handle, driver side mirror and any trim around the window. I also questioned if he felt that was the best way to handle this problem, and he said yes.
Later that afternoon I sent Maaco Corporate an email explaining the situation, and asked if this was the correct way to handle the problem from his end.

2-16-11 Kelly from Maaco contacted me and left a message that someone would be in touch with me to handle this problem.

2-17-11 Lauren Miller from Maaco called me and I spoke with her and also explained the situation with her. She agreed that I was in the right, and could not have done anything differently to avoid this issue. She was going to contact Dave and see how he wanted to resolve this.

2-22-11 Called Maaco Corporate and asked for Lauren. Kelly informed me that she was off sick that day and would leave a note for her to call me tomorrow.
2-23-11 – Spoke with Lauren from Maaco Corporate. She was about to call Dave and said she would return my call just as soon as she spoke with him.

Lauren called me back about 30 minutes later and she informed me that Dave was very upset that I went behind his back and called HQ. He informed her that not to worry about the $150 that he wasn’t going to fix the fender or door at all.
Lauren was going to speak with Dave later on that day after he calmed down to see if he would refund some of the money.
She called me back that afternoon and had called Dave back twice and was unable to reach him.

2-24-11 Spoke with Lauren from Maaco after Dave had returned her call from

2-23-11 He was not interested in a partial refund, or any type of action to resolve or compensate me, and instructed her to let me know that I could try to resolve this in Small Claims Court if I felt the need too. I asked her if I could have a different person from Corporate contact Dave and speak with him about this situation hoping that a different person would have better results.

2-28-11 – Spoke with Lauren from Maaco. She again talked to Dave. He still refused to take any action to correct this issue. He has refused to repair the fender that his shop created. He also refuses any type of partial refund.

2-28-11 Filed Complaint against him with the Better Business Bureau.
Old March 4th   #2
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

I'm not trying to hate, but what did you really expect from Maaco..............I wouldn't let them paint a car I was taking in to scrap.
Old March 4th   #3
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

I expected to be treated fairley, and have the work done like what was discussed.
Old March 4th   #4
willyplankhead
willyplankhead
if u cant say nothing nice atleast make it funny

Macco is not the place to handle that type of repair. they use synthetic enamels and the cheapest products they can get.hince there low cost.most of there shop flunkys are just that flunkys and don't have a clue how to properly handle those type repairs.there in buisness to make money off of people that don't have a eye or don't care how the finished product looks.Thats why Mom and Pop used car sales are there number one customers.I have to agree with Evil on this one I will let my 5 year old finger paint my unit with semi gloss latex paint before I would even think to let them do it.u in the end were still treated wrong and if most of my body shop tools had not got stolen I would help u out for free to get your car back right.
willyplankhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th   #5
willyplankhead
willyplankhead

The problem they may have run into of why they had to spray the whole fender is there cheap paint reacted to the paint that was allready applied to your car. when I say reacted I mean it will crinkle up like paint striper got on it.
Old March 4th   #6
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

^ I for once was going to be kinda nice but dude hit the nail on the head. They are cheap on every aspect from the prep to the paint it's self.
Old March 4th   #7
willyplankhead
willyplankhead

Clintjohns here is more food for thought-If they had a paint reaction on the fender. that could be the reason he is refusing to further mess with it. because they would run into the same problem on the door.
Old March 4th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjohns View Post
...and have the work done like what was discussed.
This is a fair and reasonable expectation of any company that does business. And yet, it is an expectation that many businesses in this area refuse to meet.
Old March 4th   #9
A_Cryer
A_Cryer
has no status.

You get what you pay for is a true statement the majority of the time
A_Cryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th   #10
willyplankhead
willyplankhead

I didn't post to whip clintjohns.I know how he feels. he had a small task, trusted a shop to take care of it,and got screwed over. happens to a lot of us I bet it won't happen again though.
Old March 4th   #11
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

This post was more for search engines than anything else. And yes I knew who I took it too, but the task was so simple I didn't want an expensive shop. I wouldn't even say in this case I got what I paid for. Its not like I went there and he told me it was going to cost 500 to fix it, and then I asked him what he could do for 170. He named the price - I thought it was fair for the small amount of work needed and we agreed. If I was going to repaint the whole fender I would have took it somewhere else. But this type of repair is right up their ally, and they even screwed it up

its close, but it ain't right
Old March 4th   #12
willyplankhead
willyplankhead

From the picture its not even in the ballpark if they would have done what u ask it still would have not been right
Old March 4th   #13
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjohns View Post
This post was more for search engines than anything else.
And you got it. A search for "maaco huntsville" results in this thread being #6 out of "about 10,900 results": http://www.google.com/search?q=maaco...ient=firefox-a
Old March 4th   #14
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

Samir - you got some serious spiders crawling this site -
Old March 4th   #15
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Because even Google knows HCS is where the good stuff is.
Old March 5th   #16
ray
ray

I dealt with Maaco around a year ago in July when my friend's mother decided to back into my parked car in the driveway. It was all handled and they were very nice (the family) but they recommended that I get a few estimates to see costing and also suggested that I stop by and see Dave at Maaco because they knew him and seemed to be pretty happy with his work.

I obliged and got two quotes. One from Dave himself...at Maaco and one from the Bill Penney Toyota/Mitsubishi body shop. The quotes were very similar except for a $200 difference. (Not much considering the cost of the repair as a whole)

I presented them to my friend's family and they suggested I go and ask Dave to just explain and give me a break down of his quote and compare them so everyone could get answers. (They wanted to know as well -- and they seemed to have a good relationship with Dave) I went down to the shop and politely asked Dave to compare quotes and just talk me through it and explain the $200 difference.

You would have thought that I personally insulted his dead mother. He got extremely short and snippy. I just looked at him and when he was done ranting I shook his hand and told him goodbye.

Took my car to Bill Penney Body Shop afterwards.

Maaco...nor Dave is the person/group to take your car to. Simple as that.
Old March 17th   #17
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

After filling a complaint with the BBB I got the partial refund that I was asking for all along. Case closed - Samir if possible you can delete this post - I'm over it