Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old March 17th   #1
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Fuel Prices and Your Game Plan

I spent the most I have in a couple of years filling up last night. And the season is just starting.

As the fuel prices continue to climb, what's your game plan? Do you plan to cut back on driving? Maybe change what you drive? Maybe not go out on the weekends?
Old March 17th   #2
b.a.king
b.a.king
old,fat grumpy

pretty much all of the above
b.a.king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th   #3
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

I don't really drive my Z06 much unless I'm going some where on the highway. I do miss the gas mileage of my base around town, that 7.0 just sucks gas but isn't horrible on the interstate. I've been getting about 18 mpg city in my Toyota so I'm some what pleased with that. I've been debating on building my 77 Civic CVCC wagon and if gas gets much higher i guess I'm going to finally get on that project.
Old March 17th   #4
cheesepuff
cheesepuff
Says Roll Tide!!!

I have taken off my 20's and ride stock wheels...puttin the 20's just when goin to show or cruise...get bout 5 miles per gallon bettet with stock 17's!
cheesepuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th   #5
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesepuff View Post
I have taken off my 20's and ride stock wheels...puttin the 20's just when goin to show or cruise...get bout 5 miles per gallon bettet with stock 17's!
If I'm not mistaken you drive from scottsboro to huntsville everyday correct................excuse my blountness but your crazy for not running the stocker on the daily grind. Just a quick rough estimate it's costing you about an extra $800 in gas annually to make that drive. If i could get an extra 5 mpg i'd be all over that. Just my $.02.
Old March 17th   #6
sok07
sok07
has no status.

driving the Mr2 more ... avg 29mpg city / 32mpg highway on 89 octane.
leaned the fuel mixture on the old MGB a tad...avg 25mpg on 93 octane

The mazdaspeed3 sits in the driveway and occasionally gets driven ... avg 22mpg city / 27mpg highway on 93 octane

Last edited by sok07; March 17th at 03:21 PM.
sok07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ View Post
Just a quick rough estimate it's costing you about an extra $800 in gas annually...
I just got off the phone with my cousin (ONE35i) about a similar topic. His Bridgestone runflats on the car cost over $1500, so he was looking for cheaper alternatives since the car's lease is up next year. My position was that if he gets cheaper (and not as good handling) tires, then what's the fun of having a $40k car if you're going to skimp on the $500-$1000 that makes it the fun it is?

Same point on having the 20s on every day--if that's what makes the vehicle, I can see the point in having them on every day. Besides $800 is $2.19/day annualized. Drinking one less Coke a day can budget that. Or just switching to tap water will save even more.
Old March 17th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sok07 View Post
driving the Mr2 more ... avg 29mpg city / 32mpg highway on 89 octane.
leaned the fuel mixture on the old MGB a tad...avg 25mpg on 93 octane

The mazdaspeed3 sits in the driveway and occasionally gets driven ... avg 22mpg city / 27mpg highway on 93 octane
Those are all pretty good. I wonder which one drinks the most when floored. I'm betting its a tie between the MGB and the speed3.
Old March 17th   #9
cheesepuff
cheesepuff
Says Roll Tide!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ View Post
If I'm not mistaken you drive from scottsboro to huntsville everyday correct................excuse my blountness but your crazy for not running the stocker on the daily grind. Just a quick rough estimate it's costing you about an extra $800 in gas annually to make that drive. If i could get an extra 5 mpg i'd be all over that. Just my $.02.
yes i drive 84 miles a day...i havent had the 20's on since january!! probably wont put few hundred miles on them all summer ... like you said evilz, its just not worth the extra gas money !!
cheesepuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th   #10
willyplankhead
willyplankhead
if u cant say nothing nice atleast make it funny

I got a 03 dodge ram with a hemi. I get 21.5 on hwy 17 in city with 24's on it. I have had to learn pedal control but there are the same trucks running around that get no where as good of MPG on stocks.
willyplankhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th   #11
willyplankhead
willyplankhead
if u cant say nothing nice atleast make it funny

How u brake,accelerate,and maintain speed are the major factors in your MPG's
willyplankhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

That's true. Maintaining momentum is one of the best ways to save fuel. I do this all the time by avoiding complete stops. I also keep my tires inflated to max psi for less rolling resistance.
Old March 18th   #13
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesepuff View Post
yes i drive 84 miles a day...i havent had the 20's on since january!! probably wont put few hundred miles on them all summer ... like you said evilz, its just not worth the extra gas money !!
84 isn't to bad then. My dad still makes the drive everyday. He's got a civic hatch that gets right at 40 mpg. It's not much to look at but who cares it gets him from point a to point b everytime. I'm sure once we gets the land cruiser or camaro done he'll drive them so but we are bothall about having a daily and always will be.
Old March 18th   #14
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

We will probably stay closer to home this season - local events - instead of the one weekend per month to a national event - but have plans to still attend 4 big events outside of Alabama this year. Can't miss the NSRA, Goodguys or Frog Follies events. They are all a blast!

To save $, will have to leave the home a/c off! Cut back on food. No eating out. Chip has to ride his Harley more back & forth to work, instead of the work vehile.

Got to have that $ for gas. Our rides are our babies!!! Got to feed them!
coupemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th   #15
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupemama View Post
To save $, will have to leave the home a/c off! Cut back on food. No eating out.
haha, you sound like me.
Old March 19th   #16
ray
ray

I just have to stay out of boost and I can probably make it. But...that's not what I want to do at all.
Old March 22nd   #17
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

I just try to plan my trips. Try and minimize the amount of traveling that needs to be done.

Filled up the eclipse with 93 today, almost 50$ for a tank... And that will only get me about 300-350 miles. That is if I stay off boost most of the time.

Last edited by Tanro; March 22nd at 02:37 PM.
Tanro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd   #18
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

Yeah, trip planning and cutting out long trips are huge. Also my wife is changing jobs to one close to mine so hopefully we can car pool some.

Common sense isn't a common virtue.

Link to the Nissan/Infiniti group page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154828527932506/
1 BAD Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd   #19
duh09
duh09
needs parts for all of my cars!

Fewer trips home, fewer trips autocrossing, fewer trips all around.

I've thought about getting a better MPG car but it's hard to find something that will live up to what I like so who knows.
duh09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd   #20
09Mazda6i
09Mazda6i
likes getting good gas mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
I just got off the phone with my cousin (ONE35i) about a similar topic. His Bridgestone runflats on the car cost over $1500, so he was looking for cheaper alternatives since the car's lease is up next year. My position was that if he gets cheaper (and not as good handling) tires, then what's the fun of having a $40k car if you're going to skimp on the $500-$1000 that makes it the fun it is?
I see the point you are making, but a more expensive tire doesn't necessarily mean that the tire has better handling characteristics. Especially with run-flats.
09Mazda6i is offline   Reply With Quote