Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old March 19th   #1
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

What Do You Think of the 'Road Studs'?

They look like these when looking at them from above:

I know you've seen these around town to keep people in a particular lane, but they seem so dangerous! If you have a car with low profile tires, hitting one of these is instant tire damage. They're worse than potholes!

What do you think of them? What's a better way to keep people in their lane?
Old March 19th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

And vicv's wife ran into a bad situation with these last year:

"Hey Samir,

Good talking with you today. Re: the ceramic markers, Ann was crossing Madison Pike from Zierdt Rd onto Shelton back in February. She had to go toward the right of the lane because there was a truck in the left turn lane that was crowding the straight-thru lane and she ran over several of the 8" ceramic markers which are almost 3" high. Both right tires blew out. I've attached a three photos. Can you please get the word out on HCS that anyone who as had damage from them should contact me at vic.vl@knology.net?

Many thanks!

Vic"

Old March 19th   #3
Malkier
Malkier
has no status.

IF the roads around here were wider, then their wouldn't be a problem with them.
They should never be used on narrow roads like Zeirdt.
Old March 19th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkier View Post
They should never be used on narrow roads like Zeirdt.
I agree. But even their use is a bit akward. If it's on the outer edge of a lane, I can understand that as you're about to go off the road, but if it's a legitamate and legal area to cross lanes then why all the bumps? I mean, a continuous line of the little reflectors will do the trick and won't cause tire damage.
Old March 19th   #5
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

I have a destroyed set of rims in my garage. Got my step son a killer set of wheels for graduation. He hit those and destroyed two wheels. Needless to say I bought a second set since those were discontinued. Pisses me off. It happened at that exact spot with a 40 tire height.

Last edited by Stephen Freeman; March 19th at 03:10 PM.
Stephen Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th   #6
b.a.king
b.a.king
old,fat grumpy

road stud??? OH, i thought you were taliking about me when im driving the el camino
b.a.king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a.king View Post
road stud??? OH, i thought you were taliking about me when im driving the el camino
haha, I knew the title would be catchy, but that's apparently what their technical name is.
Old March 20th   #8
Malkier
Malkier
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
I agree. But even their use is a bit akward. If it's on the outer edge of a lane, I can understand that as you're about to go off the road, but if it's a legitamate and legal area to cross lanes then why all the bumps? I mean, a continuous line of the little reflectors will do the trick and won't cause tire damage.
Used to drive that section every day on my way home. Before the reflectors, their was a lot of people that would decide they wanted to turn right after setting in the straight through lane. Saw several accidents right where the reflectors are now. Even though the accidents I saw decreased, I still can't stand those things.
Old March 21st   #9
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
I hate these things.

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st   #10
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

the official name for them are "dollies" or "RPM's"(raised pavement markers" Annoying yes, but sometimes meaningful.
Old March 21st   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Ah, good to know. In all the searches I found they were called 'road studs'. Probably wouldn't have made the thread title as catchy as raised pavement markers, lol. Although RPM's would've worked.
Old April 26th   #12
Mediarocker
Mediarocker
hasn't been on in a while...

I think they work. I frequent 565 to Madison to Wall-Triana to Madison BLVD, and I hate when I am coming down the left turn lane at speed and when some jack...nut. cuts me off. I have to deploy full brake and often times end up missing my green.

Other places where they have benefited is Madison BLVD into County Line RD, where idiots will merge into the no stop turning lane causing stops and traffic build up. Whats nice is they last long enough so I can get to speed and pass all the idiots.

What I didn't like was running over a couple of them when they first put them on Wall-Triana to Madison BLVD. Lowered car, 40 profiles, OUCH. Thankfully my sidewalls didn't pop like vicv's wife.

I think if deployed properly like the above two instances, They are a great tool at preventing idiots from being idiots. Only thing they won't stop are Large trucks with good sized tires. You barely feel them. But thankfully they are a rarity.
Mediarocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th   #13
racinfast002
racinfast002
ROLL TIDE YALL!

I hate those little turtles. Granted its not a problem because I'm usually in my jeep. Those things are annoying
1999 F250 Crew Cab Coal Smoker on 37's
1999 Formula Fastech 271
1984 Mustang Hatch Turbo
1984 Harley Davidson Sportster 1000 Ironhead
1969 Chevy pickup the keeper
"Straight tracks are for fast cars. Curvy tracks are for fast drivers."
racinfast002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th   #14
Gumby_Mac
Gumby_Mac
is gettin' ready for Bug'n!

heheh, I like "lane turtles" for a name.
Old April 26th   #15
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I think the turtles (I like that name too) do serve their purpose, but at what cost? It they cause an accident in the effort to prevent one, aren't they as bad as the original problem?

I think enforcement of lane rules is what's missing. How many people do you see turning into the farthest lane vs the nearest one? The law states you must turn into the nearest one. If there's no enforcement, then the law has no effect.
Old April 26th   #16
Gumby_Mac
Gumby_Mac
is gettin' ready for Bug'n!

I hate when people slowly meander over to the center turn lane and leave their @$$ end of the car hanging into my lane until the very last second. Seems like a lot of traffic rules aren't enforced around here.
Old April 26th   #17
BobH
BobH
has no status.

I don't know if it's because i'm getting older then dirt. But i have noticed that more and more people seem to want my lane along with thiers these days. Just about every time I go somewhere some one has their left wheels on the center line or my side of it. Taking a corner even in little cars to some is like driving a tractor trailer. But I think these "do hingies" they have started using are the wrong way to go. Beside my cars I have a Harley which I use most the time now (weather permitting) because of the gas prices. Now hitting those things with a bike might get very interesting to say the lease. I was cut off by a woman delivering mail last fall and had to lay the bike down. I don't think i want to check the road out again for awhile since I'm still healing from that fall. Those turtles or road studs in the rain would sure cause a problem. What's the answer? I don't now other then education on how to drive. I drive tractor trailer from time to time sine retirement and seem to get pulled over all the time in the Huntsville/Madiosn area for this that and the other. So why not start pulling people that are wrecks looking for a place to happen over and making them aware of bad driving habbits. Sooner or later the message would get through.
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th   #18
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
Now hitting those things with a bike might get very interesting to say the lease. I was cut off by a woman delivering mail last fall and had to lay the bike down. I don't think i want to check the road out again for awhile since I'm still healing from that fall. Those turtles or road studs in the rain would sure cause a problem.
I forgot about how hazardous those are for a bike! I bet it's like hitting a curb over and over again and extremely dangerous.
Old April 26th   #19
kickinit48
kickinit48
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
I forgot about how hazardous those are for a bike! I bet it's like hitting a curb over and over again and extremely dangerous.
yep turtles peeps call them..seen them alot in other cities. haven't seen them to much in hsv..yepp i have jumped them with the bike before..not a plesant experience
kickinit48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th   #20
Mediarocker
Mediarocker
hasn't been on in a while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby_Mac View Post
I hate when people slowly meander over to the center turn lane and leave their @$$ end of the car hanging into my lane until the very last second. Seems like a lot of traffic rules aren't enforced around here.
Yeah or they start breaking (quite heavily I might add..) in the traffic lane when theres a breakdown lane for them to turn into and slow down in....and when they decide to lag around in between both lanes...
Mediarocker is offline   Reply With Quote