Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old August 6th   #1
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Send a message via AIM to JayMack75 Send a message via Yahoo to JayMack75
Exhaust Switch?

OK, ya'll are going to be shocked but I found a place to do my exhaust exactly how I want it done. Here's the problem...I decided to do a little something extra to it. What I want to do is have the sidepipes straight piped. I want a coupler that automatically switches from the straight pipes to the baffled pipes. What is that coupler called?? I know about it because I saw ot on hot rod TV or something like that on Spike, I just can't remember what its called or where to find it. Also, anyone know where I can find an O2 sensor eliminator for a 8.1L Vortec?
Old August 6th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Are you talking about a cutout that can be remotely switched? I've see the plates on some of the older car headers that can be removed so that they can run open.

As far as the o2 sensor eliminator, it may be easier just to fab it in the pipes where you can leave it intact. The o2 is usually before the cat, so you can still do anything you want past the sensor. I'd check out some of the Chevy forums. I'm sure they also make a resistor pack of some sort you can put in its place.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th   #3
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Well they make the eliminator but its like 2 weeks until SECO can get one for me. The switch is kinda like what you're talking about, but its ona an electric switch mounted in the vehicle...it runs 2 seperate pipes though, when closed it runs through the baffled pipe and when open it runs the open pipe.
Old August 6th   #4
jinusow
jinusow
has no status.

JCWhitney has this its called a cast-iron exhuast cutout. Dash controlable. $39.99 part#wh241628 I think this is what you're looking for I don't know if this part comes up online they have it in the catalog.
jinusow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th   #5
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Thats kinda like what I was looking for, but I just found EXACTLY what I was lookign for thanks to you. http://www.quicktimeperformance.net/...oduct_list&c=4 is the link to it. Now what should I run off my headers...hmmm...
Old August 7th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

That's what I was thinking of too. I didn't even know they made such a thing.

As far as what to run off the headers, straight out to the outside with a program set for it in your ecu, the other going straight into the regular stock exhaust. A quiet giant that could be quickly awoken...
Old August 7th   #7
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Well I'm thinking if I do that then there would be no need for me to get the 02 sensor eliminator. If the cut out was mounted before the 02 sensor then it wouldnt make a difference...right?
Old August 7th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

It would have it be after the sensor so the sensor can take a reading first. That would be very cool. Street legal either way.
Old August 7th   #9
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

You dont think headers would mess it up do you?
Old August 7th   #10
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Headers wouldn't mess up anything unless they have a cat in the header and those get removed. There's really not much gain by going cat-less. And a lot of times the sounds isn't as smooth.
Old August 8th   #11
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

So what size should I get? I can get anything from 2 1/4 to 3"
Old August 8th   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I'm not sure. I don't know the airflow characteristics for your motor. Typically, unless you've added any power adders, you don't want to go much larger than stock.

And most of the power gains from aftermarket headers really just comes from the design rather than the size. Having smoother air flow out of the engine and a better intake can allow the engine to breathe better, freeing some more power.
Old August 8th   #13
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

I'm trying to figure out what I got under there now...lol. In the future I plan on adding aluminum heads, and a bigger cam as far as power stuff goes, but im just trying to make sure these cut outs I got will mount up to my stock exhaust, then I am running the stacks from the other port. My main concern is just getting the cut out to mount up to the stock exhaust.
Old August 8th   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

It seems like you can buy various sizes, so it should be able to work no matter what. If you wanted to make it a bolt-in/out affair, you could have them not weld it in place, but instead make flanges. That way, you could unbolt the entire assembly and put your stock one back in if you wanted.

If I had to do it, I'd put it in right after the last o2 sensor and use flanges. Then I'd get a good cat-back exhaust from someone that makes one (like Kooks or Borla) and have that bolt right on too. I don't think the cat would be a restriction, but if it is, I'd replace it with a high flow one, again with flanges, so you could bolt in a test pipe or go back to stock if needed.
Old August 8th   #15
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Thats the thing, I am leaving the stock exhaust in place just adding the cut out to it. Then when I turn the cut out on it will route into the straight pipes and will be loud and free flowing...but when I get lets say...next to a cop, or in my neighborhood late at night, I can cut it off and it will be back through stock...so it will be quiet.
Old August 8th   #16
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

You could do side pipes under the running board. That would be pretty free flowing and look good as well. Then flip a switch and you're back to the regular pipe at the back. Of course, it'd look a bit goofy having 2 sets of exhaust pipes. You could just remove the tip on the stock one so you can't notice it.
Old August 10th   #17
MYLOTOY
MYLOTOY
has no status.

When you plan on getting your pipe work done Jay?
MYLOTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th   #18
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

As soon as I figure out how much of and what sizes of everything I am going to need and get it ordered and here, then I will be taking it down to get it worked on. I'm just having trouble piecing it all together.
Old August 10th   #19
MYLOTOY
MYLOTOY
has no status.

I know what you meen I want to do so much to the car but trying to get everything straight is such a hassle.
MYLOTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th   #20
mytmous
mytmous
has no status.

Send a message via AIM to mytmous
get a y-pipe for the tubes, around $35 from jegs each.

there are other cheaper ones than the QTP, Mccord power plate makes
a good one, and they are like $125.

I have one if ya want to see it, it's over at David's(the one that did the
Air Bags, BTW I helped) I took it off my car after I swapped the mufflers out.
01 Cadillac Catera (pimp ride)
94 Pontiac Formula (fast ride)
http://www.buildaracecar.com/

"Life is all about ass...either you are covering it, kicking it, kissing it, or trying to get it."

Last edited by mytmous; August 10th at 01:47 PM.
mytmous is offline   Reply With Quote