Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old July 27th   #1
secondhandloser
secondhandloser
has no status.

Driving roads

Hey guys, just wondering if there were any good twisties around locally? I am new to the area and haven't found much yet.
secondhandloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th   #2
koreangrits
koreangrits
work, run, eat, sleep, run, and run

Bankhead, but watch out for people on bikes, and Dug Hill, but don't bother with it if it has been raining... tons of terrible wrecks happen on it when it is wet.
Old July 27th   #3
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police

Hang a left in New Hope or hang a left in Hampton Cove.
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

We have lots and lots of great driving roads. One of the best ways to find them is head just a bit out of the city on any of the smaller state highways. You'll find treasures. It's the way I've found all the fun roads I drive.
Old July 27th   #5
200sxsermatt
200sxsermatt
shift denied!

Hwy 110 from ardmore to Fayetteville tn is a pretty good road to drive on...1 four way stop half way through it and speed limit is 55 all the way except when passing by one school...pretty scenic the closer you get to Fayetteville ....
1984 Subaru Brat
1969 Dodge 3/4 ton
200sxsermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th   #6
Mediarocker
Mediarocker
hasn't been on in a while...

I enjoy Cecil Ashburn Drive off Airport into Hampton Cove when there's hardly any traffic (10PM- ~4AM)

Another good one is Bankhead Parkway NE, but like as was mentioned, watch out for Bikers and cyclists.. including the occasional "jack" who slices a blind corner.

One route I'll take is Airport to Cecil, then Cecil to 431, go north on 431 to Monte Sano Blvd, up to Fearn, and fearn becomes bankhead parkway. Take it to the end and you're back into the city.

I gotta take note of a lot of what I drive.. I just can't remember em all because I just follow a road till I don't wanna anymore and then turn around. I drive around randomly with no direction or purpose other than to enjoy driving.

Last edited by Mediarocker; July 28th at 03:50 AM.
Mediarocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th   #7
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

Im about some bankhead and green mt

Common sense isn't a common virtue.

Link to the Nissan/Infiniti group page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154828527932506/
1 BAD Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediarocker View Post
I drive around randomly with no direction or purpose other than to enjoy driving.
That's me too, lol.
Old July 28th   #9
koreangrits
koreangrits

Green Mt is fun, but kinda hard on the brakes. 4mile is fun, and i totally agree about the 10pm-4am lol. Bankhead brings a certain joy to my heart, and i know it will put a smile on your face
Old July 28th   #10
NiTeZ
NiTeZ
7M-GE goes in today! :D

Send a message via Yahoo to NiTeZ
Just watch for the police . I had one buddy that took me down Green Mountain drifting it. Scared the heck out of me from the fear of a car coming around a turn and us hitting someone. We used to take our Camaros, everyone I used to hang out with owned one 7 total, used to hit that 180 degree turn sideways on Bankhead and practice J-turns there too. Little did we realize of how dangerous that actually was at the time. I was 19 then and we never had any wrecks. We did have people on either side of the road watching for on coming cars with 2 way radios so that helped a lot. I know if you go down 431 into New Hope, turn left at Hobbs Island Road (Main Dr. in New Hope) follow that road till it forks and stay to the left, don't follow the road to the right, it's a long country back road with lots of twist and turns. Only thing you have to worry about majority of the time is tractors. I never seen a big rig on that road at all. I lived there and we took that way all the time to get to 72 to Scottsboro.
NiTeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th   #11
duh09
duh09
needs parts for all of my cars!

I know a bunch of backroads around my house but not too many around Huntsville for funtimes. I do enjoy the road up Keel Mountain from the backside where Keel cemetary is.
duh09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th   #12
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

HWY 65 about a mile past Gurley off of HWY 72. It is 17 miles of Heaven. I have an Alabama Gazatter (SP) $20 at Books a Million. Best back road manual ever. Little River Canyon is a good day trip. But generally just get lost anywhere in NE Alabama and Southern Tennessee is my advice. On roads you have never been on, my advice is to watch where the telephone poles go and the road will generally jump in that direction.
Stephen Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th   #13
koreangrits
koreangrits

I was just reminded of one: the road to Guntersville State Park is great.
Old July 28th   #14
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.

It's the curviest road around locally that I know, and nice scenery. Take 431 South and just hang a left onto 227.
Old July 28th   #15
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.

If you want to do a really big circle, at the intersection after the park, go straight onto Co Rd 67, go until it merges into 35 at Scottsboro, turn left onto 72 and head back with a huge caravan of rides on the 4 lane.
Old July 28th   #16
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.

If you stay on 227, it turns right and that road is Monsanto. It's where everyone used to drag race. The road dead ends so no one really drives on it much.
Old July 28th   #17
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragginbody87 View Post
If you stay on 227, it turns right and that road is Monsanto. It's where everyone used to drag race. The road dead ends so no one really drives on it much.
What's the road condition like?
Old July 28th   #18
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.

It's not bad. It's maintained because it connects Guntersville to Geraldine. Just very few houses and very little through traffic.
Old July 28th   #19
koreangrits
koreangrits

Old Big Cove Rd. is fun to. G-wiz i would just hit 4mile post rd, old big cove rd, govenors, front side of monte sano, and then finish with Bankhead... should take about 30 minutes, but is great fun all together
Old July 28th   #20
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I've heard about a midnight cruise going on around 11pm Friday night? Anyone heard of this?