Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Show and Shine

Show and Shine Post pictures, videos, and other stuff to look at

Old August 25th   #1
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes
is happy to be on US soil

Send a message via AIM to 6spd_Hayes
(Local) Nissan Maxima Race Videos

I know, I know, you thought this was a joke. On the suggestion of Samir, I'll make this the home for new links to the videos of my 2002 Nissan Maxima and my racing adventures.

No, you will not see any street racing. It's a 4 door family car for goodness sake. It's good for picking up groceries and kids from school. Surprisingly, it is alot of fun on a road course or an autocross. (Especially with 275 width R compound tires).

So with that being said, on to the YouTube video links!

http://youtu.be/FJcxkgHk0_0

This is a link to my Session #3 of the High Performance Driving Experience at Import Alliance 2011 Summer Meet at Nashville Super Speedway. I probably bit off a little more than I can chew by choosing to be in the Expert run group. Of the 5 videos I took that day, this one is by far the best. It gives you a sense of the speed, and the sound of my car. The Go Pro HD camera was mounted in the UpSide down configuration from my foglight. The camera was about 3" from the track surface.

I welcome your comments or questions.

Elon
6spd_Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Dude, that was totally sweet! You were right about that transition being pretty hard. I loved to hear the VQ rev. How fast do you think you got? It was cool to see you getting passed by all those EVOs and NSXs. If you're going to have to passed by something, might as well be something like that!
Old August 26th   #3
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes

There were very few cars in the expert run group unfortunately. And on top of that, the autocross compound R comps I was running only had 5 laps a session in them before they'd get gummie. The transition coming off the front straight is pretty harsh.

The intermediate run group had two Lotus running also

Last edited by 6spd_Hayes; August 26th at 09:25 AM.
Old August 26th   #4
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

Dude that's so gangster! I want to do that now lol. So, obviously some of those cars flat had the hp to outrun you I know. But some of the "lesser" hp cars i.e. the Civic and RSX were driving away pretty hard too. Do you think they had enough hp to run like that or just their skills as a driver are that good? Believe me I'm not trying to slam your driving cause lord knows I'd probably be passed by everyone on the track lol. But what's your opinion on it?

Common sense isn't a common virtue.

Link to the Nissan/Infiniti group page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154828527932506/
1 BAD Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th   #5
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes

No offense taken. I am pretty confident in my driving skills. I know my car, in it's configuration at NSS was putting down roughly 245 to the ground. On my runs 3, 4, and 5, I had anywhere between 1 and 3 passengers, making my car 3750 to 4000 pounds. I had full interior as well as a full tank of 93 octane. From what I remember of the RSX and Civic, they were stripped race cars and caged. My Maxima is my daily driven car. Most of the guys in the expert run group were trailered race cars. I am pretty confident in my skills but I was pushing that in the expert group. The only reason I drove in that group is because it was the only group they'd allow passengers.
Old August 26th   #6
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

Ah that makes a lot of sense then. Weight can kill any car out there. Funny the difference 100lbs makes on a road course. Probably changed the way the car felt and handled too.

Old August 26th   #7
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes

I do agree with you. But to the contrary, the TAC Driving school autocross, I had Tim Brewer drive my Maxima, with me in the passenger seat and two people in the backseat during the afternoon fun runs. I think Tim has driven my car once before. He came across the line with a 52 flat. The FTD was a race prepped ZO6 at 51.5 sec. He and I were both shocked. Lighter weight with some practice runs and he could have very well bested the ZO6's time.
Old August 26th   #8
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

That's what makes autocross they stuff man. Doesn't matter how much you have in your car or how much hp it has. (to a point of course) You can be bestest by a "lesser" car with a "better" driver. More of a brakes, suspension and driver sport. Drag racing is a lot about how much money do you have in the car lol. I know there is skill required or we'd all be on the NHRA circuit but ya know...

Old August 26th   #9
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes

Speaking of drag racing, maybe sometime this fall we can get a Nissan Meet together at a test n tune at Huntsville Dragway. I'd like to see a North Alabama VQ Nationals. :-)
Old August 26th   #10
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd_Hayes View Post
The only reason I drove in that group is because it was the only group they'd allow passengers.
lol, and they probably set it that way knowing all the cars would be caged and be trailered--until you showed up! Score one for the daily driven 4-door sports car.
Old August 26th   #11
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes

Samir, I met akid the day before with an auto '03 lightly modded Maxima. I talked him into driving in the HPDE on Sunday. He was doing pretty decent in the novice group, that is until he rode with me. The mods on my Maxima and his are dramatically different. The next novice session, he over cooked every corner. He'd have to come in after he went 4 wheels off. After his FOURTH time off, the track officials were threatening to bench him for the remainder of the session. He finally pulled it in the pits once his brakes faded away and the brake pedal went to the floor with zero stopping power. I apologized to the track officials since my style influenced him to drive that way. I was proud of the kid for stepping up and trying it, with zero racing experience.
Old August 26th   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Yep, and that's why these type of events definitely need some sort of prior experience like autocross. You have a TON of seat time in that car since you've owned it and driven it for the last decade. I still remember when you got the wheels. You still have the factory ones somewhere?
Old August 26th   #13
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes

2 of the factory wheels are tireless and being stored in my attic. The other two have BF Goodrich G-Force drag radials mounted to them. Now that I know I can fit 275/45-17's under the front, it greatly increases my choice for future drag radials or slicks for my rare drag racing. All I am missing are skinnys on the rear. Ha ha.
Old August 26th   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Awesome. I thought I had seen them before, but wasn't sure if you had gotten rid of them. I remember the drag racing days!
Old August 27th   #15
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

Lap 3 was bad, but lap four was very impressive. I still say your car is the coolest grocery getter in town.
Stephen Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th   #16
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes

The laps with the slower times were probably when I was being passed. Our instructions were to pass only on point by's. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
Old August 27th   #17
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

I noticed that. What surprised me is when the fast cars pulled away from you, then you reel them in after the long straight. On the first corners off the high bank you nearly catch them. That was cool to watching an NSX being reeled in by a grocery getter. funny stuff (If only for a corner)

Last edited by Stephen Freeman; August 27th at 10:30 AM.
Old August 27th   #18
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes

Something I left out were the local yellows. If a car ahead went 4 off or so, they'd do local yellows for certain corners. I'd usually drop back to 7/10ths or so in those areas.
Old August 27th   #19
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes

Session #1 & 2 at 2011 IA Summer Meet HPDE

Here are the links to the videos from my Session #1 and Session #2 at the 2011 IA Summer Meet HPDE. I tried changing up the camera location with each session. Once I get Session #4 & 5 uploaded to YouTube, I'll post those links as well.

Session #1
http://youtu.be/4Fu9mJurGps

Session #2
http://youtu.be/dIYpOCHinlI
Old August 27th   #20
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

I was wondering about the local yellows. From the bumper camera I could not tell why the flags were being waved. Usually I only see blue flags Ha.