Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Local Group Forums > North Alabama Nissan Owners

North Alabama Nissan Owners A dedicated forum for the Nissan Owners in North Alabama

Old September 23rd   #1
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes
is happy to be on US soil

Send a message via AIM to 6spd_Hayes
Question: Stock 370Z 1/8th and 1/4 times and speed??

Question for those of you in the know.

What does a stock 370Z do in a 1/8th mile and 1/4 mile and the corresponding speeds?

Thanks in advance!

Elon
6spd_Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I usually look at www.dragtimes.com for numbers like this. According to this link, it's about 12.9-13.7s for 1/4 at 105-108mph and 8.3-8.8s for 1/8 at 82-85mph:
http://www.dragtimes.com/results.php...arch+DragTimes

Last edited by Samir; September 23rd at 04:30 PM. Reason: forgot link
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd   #3
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes

With 332 hp @ 7,000 rpm and 270 lb-ft @ 5,200 rpm at the crank, wonder what they are doing at the wheels? Assuming 18.1% drivetrain loss (in the 2003-2006 non rev up), i would think 272 at the wheels. I am just now starting my research on my next set of wheels. I know there are some 370 people on here, I'd like to hear from them on their personal time slips and dyno #'s.
Old September 23rd   #4
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

1/8 mile=fast and 1/4= very fast

~slowly backs out~

Common sense isn't a common virtue.

Link to the Nissan/Infiniti group page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154828527932506/
1 BAD Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 BAD Z View Post
1/8 mile=fast and 1/4= very fast

~slowly backs out~
Define fast.
Old September 24th   #6
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes

Do these 370/350Z guys on here actually race (autox, roadcourse, dragrace) their cars or are they all just 'hard parkers' (term I learned at Import Alliance Summer Meet)? If you want to actually put your well handling/modded cars to the test, join us at the TAC 6 autocross at John Hunt Park tomorrow.
Old September 24th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

lol, hard parking. That term would've meant something else in the 1950s, lol.

I think a lot of them drive their cars, but not race them in any sanctioned events. Well, one I know drifts his.
Old September 30th   #8
gZ33
gZ33
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd_Hayes View Post
Do these 370/350Z guys on here actually race (autox, roadcourse, dragrace) their cars or are they all just 'hard parkers' (term I learned at Import Alliance Summer Meet)? If you want to actually put your well handling/modded cars to the test, join us at the TAC 6 autocross at John Hunt Park tomorrow.
I haven't yet but fully intend to. I just finished up my suspension so now it's just finding time since I travel so much with work.
gZ33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gZ33 View Post
I haven't yet but fully intend to. I just finished up my suspension so now it's just finding time since I travel so much with work.
I know this probably doesn't apply to this particular situation, but I have to get this out there.

I have no idea where the idea started that autocrossing requires suspension or tire upgrades to participate. Yes, to progress once you hit the limits of your stock car you step up to changes that help dial in the car to your liking. But people spending 2k on suspension before they even know the limits of the stock setup is a complete waste of money in my opinion. It's different if you like that setup on a daily driver, but if you're getting it just for autocrossing, it's probably going to be something you'll ultimately get rid of and change.
Old October 1st   #10
gZ33
gZ33
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
I know this probably doesn't apply to this particular situation, but I have to get this out there.

I have no idea where the idea started that autocrossing requires suspension or tire upgrades to participate. Yes, to progress once you hit the limits of your stock car you step up to changes that help dial in the car to your liking. But people spending 2k on suspension before they even know the limits of the stock setup is a complete waste of money in my opinion. It's different if you like that setup on a daily driver, but if you're getting it just for autocrossing, it's probably going to be something you'll ultimately get rid of and change.
Well, honestly i'd much rather put my money into something thats going to improve the handling of my car and to allow me to achieve the ride height of choice than spend 2k on an exhaust that you see very little, to no gain out of.

Don't get me wrong though, i'll definitely spend 2k (and will) on a good sounding exhaust. It's just lower on my list of stuff to do.

I don't need a 3k big brake kit either but you better believe there will be one on the way soon enough
Old October 1st   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gZ33 View Post
Well, honestly i'd much rather put my money into something thats going to improve the handling of my car and to allow me to achieve the ride height of choice than spend 2k on an exhaust that you see very little, to no gain out of.

Don't get me wrong though, i'll definitely spend 2k (and will) on a good sounding exhaust. It's just lower on my list of stuff to do.

I don't need a 3k big brake kit either but you better believe there will be one on the way soon enough
Oh yeah, I'm with you on that.

My order of mods is typically brakes/suspension, then intake/header/exhaust. Suspension can help with cornering where a lot of time is lost, and dialing it in via autocross helps keep you safe on the street for a daily driver.

Then I'll typically move onto brakes if it needs it, and then finally go faster stuff and look pretty stuff.
Old October 1st   #12
gZ33
gZ33
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
Oh yeah, I'm with you on that.

My order of mods is typically brakes/suspension, then intake/header/exhaust. Suspension can help with cornering where a lot of time is lost, and dialing it in via autocross helps keep you safe on the street for a daily driver.

Then I'll typically move onto brakes if it needs it, and then finally go faster stuff and look pretty stuff.
Yeah true dat!! My brake on the Z are pretty strong now but I want something to fill up the backside of those 19's
Old October 1st   #13
Wilson!
Wilson!
is wishing he was in a kayak on the river...

my #1 mod on everything is a brake upgrade. even if it's nothing but using a better quality rotor and pad. going fast is no good if you can't stop.
Old October 1st   #14
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police

Just honk your horn and they'll get out of the way.
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st   #15
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson! View Post
my #1 mod on everything is a brake upgrade. even if it's nothing but using a better quality rotor and pad. going fast is no good if you can't stop.
Ditto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragginbody87 View Post
Just honk your horn and they'll get out of the way.
Not if they have flashing red and blue lights.
Old October 2nd   #16
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes

I drove a 40th Anniversary 370Z with my wife on Friday and I am very happy with the handling and brakes on the car. Granted I was only driving at most 6/10ths. I have seen on other write-ups that the stock "Sports Package" brakes do suffer some fade if pushed pretty hard. Have any of you 370z guys had problems with oil/transmission fluid temps when driving the cars hard? The most recent edition of Car & Driver (I think) had a write-up on the best handling cars under $40k. The Z came in 4th behind the Mustang GT, Miata, and Evo. One of it's problems was on lap time, in which they could only get one good hard lap out of it before going into limp mode from high oil/transmission fluid temps. If that is going to be the case, my first mod will be to put in a oil/transmission fluid cooler.
Old October 3rd   #17
secondhandloser
secondhandloser
has no status.

Low 13s stock is the norm with a decent driver. About 13.1 at 108 with a standard da.

Trans temps are fine. It's the diff and oil that "overheat".

The z kicks in stage one of limp mode at about 280, which is a lap or two in. Nothing to protect the diff, but run an ir gun on it and you'll see it's outta control a lap in.

Brake fade is mildly annoying, but anyone who tracks on stock pads is a moron. Swap the pads and you're in much better shape.

Fuel starve is what you really need to read into.
secondhandloser is offline   Reply With Quote