Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Cruising the Canyon - Little River Canyon Cruise 2011
Calendar: Events Calendar
clintjohns  
November 12th 08:30 AM to 06:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: Little River Canyon Park - Fort Payne AL, then cruise over towards Guntersville and back to HSV

After talking with alot of people that went on this cruise last year, we have all decided to do this again. Please pass this on to everyone you know, more the better, and no vehicle should be left out.

8:30AM - Meet at Sparkman Drive Wal-Mart and depart shortly after and take Hwy 72 to Scottsboro and then on to the Wal-Mart in Fort Payne to meet up with any additional people.

10:30 AM - Leave the Wal-Mart in Ft. Payne and head out to cruise the Canyon.

12 noon Start arriving at the Canyon Mouth Park. There is a $3 dollar charge to enter this area so please have dollar bills ready since this is a machine that you feed not a person working the gate.

FOOD: - Canyon Mouth Park we will hang out and relax a little with time to snack and have your own light lunch. We will decide who is interested in traveling on toward Guntersville and grab a sit down meal there (Possibly Top of the River) or some steak house. http://www.topotheriverrestaurant.co...b0913b1da7abf2

2:30 pm or earlier Leave Canyon Mouth Park and cut over via some scenic roads thru Guntersville State Park and eat. This should be around a 2 hour drive and will take us thru some great scenery (hills, curves, bridges etc...)

This will have the same feel as last years cruise. We are not out to set land speed records, just to have a good time and enjoy some nice driving! However we might split up into different groups before entering the park to separate the "spirited" drivers from the "cruisers"

We have people participating with various vehicles and no one should be left out.

Map:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...5def5594&msa=0

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

A perfect early morning met an anxious group ready for a great cruise. And we had everything from a classic Pontiac Tempest to a modified 350z. I headed over from the Cars and Coffee earlier in the morning to find everyone just about ready to go. I handed out some two-way radios so we'd all have communication, and we headed out.

As we made our way over to 72, we definitely weren't the only enthusiasts out on this gorgeous morning.

I didn't know why, but we saw a lot of classics and street rods on our way. I knew there had to be a show somewhere. Too bad I didn't find out until later that we passed right by it in Gurley:
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/ca...2011-11-12&c=1

The road was a bit busy with traffic, but all still managed to stay together. We stopped in Scottsboro for a quick bathroom break.

And then continued on towards Rainsville.

You could still see them fixing April's tornado damage in Rainsville, but it looked a lot better than the last time I saw it.

When we arrived at the Walmart, there were more GTOs than I've ever seen in one spot! It was the Alabama Goat Heard.

We grouped up and headed to the parking lot at the entrance of the park. As we entered Fort Payne, the police were watching us.

It was such a perfect fall drive.

And we saw even more cars headed to the show.

The parking lot at the park entrance had quite a bit of room. We actually could have just met here directly.

Once everyone was ready, it was time to cruise the canyon! I tried to mount my tripod in the passenger seat, but didn't get it right until the very end of the runs. But I was happy with what I got, and it looks pretty good even though it's just me on the road since I lost the pack. The music makes this video my favorite. The music was actually just on the radio, lol.

When I finally got down to the Canyon Park, I discovered it was free admission today! Sweet! And our group was neatly parked with a feast underway.

And during our feast, a surprise birthday wish for Tammy commenced. And some special birthday girl photos afterwards. Happy Birthday Tammy!

After eating a bit, we were ready to drive some more, so we decided to stop by the Guntersville Lodge on the way to Top O'the River Restaurant. Some people left for home as they had a drive ahead of them, but others tagged along.

The lodge is actually quite nice. I can see us all invading the pool after a spring/summer canyon run. From the overlook, we could also see the remains of the tornado path that barely missed the lodge, and the mangled trees it left in its wake.

After the lodge, we continued on to Top O' The River, where a nice long table seated a bunch of hungry folks. I had never seen cole slaw from a tin cup before, or freshly made cornbread and greens like they had there. I had a great meal, and I'd like to thank Curtis for treating me as well as Clint for offering the same. Thank you both so much. I ended up taking home a couple of boxes of leftovers which fed me the rest of the weekend. On my way out, I bumped into some of the Vets with Vettes who were celebrating a birthday as well. Hungry birthday car enthusiasts think alike.

Once outside, we looked at some of the cars in the parking lot while walking to ours. There was a Boxster that was a twin of mine, except with the awesome factory painted wheels, and there was a new c6 Corvette Grand Sport that look like it had almost every option from the ZR1 package. Too bad it was too dark to take any more photos.

All in all, a great day and a lot of fun with a great group. I want to thank Clint for heading up this year's event as well as all the GTO guys for joining us and making everything a lot more fun. See everyone next year! -- Samir
11 members will be attending this event:

Old October 2nd   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Thank you for heading this up again Clint. Did you talk to Erv? I've been too exhausted to do much, but he was looking to meet today sometime to talk about this.

Why November 12th? It's one day prior to Import Alliance, and there's a car show that day too.
Old October 2nd   #3
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

Same weekend as last year - Football games shouldn't be a big draw that day since Bama will be playing MSU and the AU game will prob. be a night game. This weekend was less busy than the pryor weekend and it puts it far enough out that people can plan for it!
Old October 2nd   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjohns View Post
Same weekend as last year - Football games shouldn't be a big draw that day since Bama will be playing MSU and the AU game will prob. be a night game. This weekend was less busy than the pryor weekend and it puts it far enough out that people can plan for it!
I didn't realize we went all the way in November. I'll check almanac.com for the historical weather. I hope it's as nice as it way last year! That was perfect.
Old October 2nd   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Weather looks pretty good so far:
http://www.wunderground.com/history/...tename=Alabama
Old October 2nd   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Not much history of rain and highs are basically around what they are today. One year had it in the 70s and one was in the 50s, but that's still not too bad. 2002 had a slight bit of rain, but all the other years are clear as a bell with visibility for miles.
http://www.almanac.com/weather/histo...yne/2010-11-12
http://www.almanac.com/weather/histo...yne/2009-11-12
http://www.almanac.com/weather/histo...yne/2008-11-12
http://www.almanac.com/weather/histo...yne/2007-11-12
http://www.almanac.com/weather/histo...yne/2006-11-12
http://www.almanac.com/weather/histo...yne/2005-11-12
http://www.almanac.com/weather/histo...yne/2004-11-12
http://www.almanac.com/weather/histo...yne/2003-11-12
http://www.almanac.com/weather/histo...yne/2002-11-12
http://www.almanac.com/weather/histo...yne/2001-11-12
Old October 2nd   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Hey Clint, did that machine at the gate take bills larger than $1? If so, someone can collect the money up front and just pay for all of us at once. I'll also plan to bring my change bag with the HCS stickers again this year, so I should have some change.
Old October 3rd   #8
LagoGarda
LagoGarda
is back from trip to Lago Garda.

or Sunday the 13th.
LagoGarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd   #9
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
Hey Clint, did that machine at the gate take bills larger than $1? If so, someone can collect the money up front and just pay for all of us at once. I'll also plan to bring my change bag with the HCS stickers again this year, so I should have some change.
found this on their website

The automated gate will only accept quarters, one dollar ($1) bills or five dollar ($5) bills.

Last edited by clintjohns; October 3rd at 06:47 AM.
clintjohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd   #10
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Excellent! I just checked and I've got quite a few $1 bills and quarters. I'll make sure I get some more change before the day of the event.

I may be able to get some freebies to raffle off. I've got tickets leftover from when I did the HCS cruise-in years ago.
Old October 4th   #11
DKfullhouse
DKfullhouse
has no status.

Hey guy's I'll definatly be down for this! God willing, I'll even be in an SHO LOL
Old October 6th   #12
BLACKIE66
BLACKIE66
has no status.

Clint i have ask for that day off so don't change it
BLACKIE66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th   #13
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKIE66 View Post
Clint i have ask for that day off so don't change it
Its the 12th - your good
Old October 6th   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Yep, it's staying the 12th. I just need to plan that day out.
Old October 8th   #15
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

Ive got 5 or so interested from the LS1GTO board that are here in North Alabama. Also got a buddy that I did the Power Tour with going to meet us in Ft.Payne

FWIW we only had 10 or so signed up for last years cruise and had around 30. So I'm pumped about the interest this early out
Old October 8th   #16
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I need to get in touch with Erv and get him on board as well. I'll try to give him a call later tonight since my day ended earlier than I expected.
Old October 8th   #17
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
I need to get in touch with Erv and get him on board as well. I'll try to give him a call later tonight since my day ended earlier than I expected.
He sent me an email about an hour ago and said he didn't think he would be able to go that soon, but hopes we have a blast and will spread the word Bummer
Old October 8th   #18
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Bummer. We'll definitely miss him.
Old October 8th   #19
DKfullhouse
DKfullhouse
has no status.

Samir and Clint, once again I'm trying to get some other SHO guys to go... There's a few in Nashville, Chattanooga, and close in Ga, but so far no bites.

I'm hoping mine will stay running so I can go... the wife won't let me drive her Taurus this year LOL

I'm gonna try to get some old friends from around Tuscaloosa to come, but we'll see.
Old October 8th   #20
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Excellent guys. When you post on other forums, post links to the threads here so I can add them to the event listing, and we can all keep tabs on everything and everyone.