Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old December 5th   #1
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

How Do You Title a Rat Rod?

I was going through the CBI Open House pics, and after seeing some rat rods, it just dawned on me--how would you title and register such a thing? Obviously when they look at it they'll have a reaction to say the least.

So what's the secret to getting this done? Especially when it's pieced together from all over.
Old December 6th   #2
Smyly@TFR
Smyly@TFR
Professional Detailer
Huntsville Car Scene Site Sponsor

I think in Alabama you only need a bill of sale for vehicles from 1974 and older which fits most of the crowd to my knowledge. But I could be wrong.
Old December 6th   #3
twisted metal
twisted metal
rust is a color.

use the vin.# on the car or truck,done it many times.
twisted metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted metal View Post
use the vin.# on the car or truck,done it many times.
So whatever vin you find? What if your frame is one, fenders and cab another, bed another, engine another, etc, etc. Do they not try to find a way to make it hard? I would think they would.
Old December 7th   #5
twisted metal
twisted metal
rust is a color.

all the ones i have built,i use the vin# on the cab if it is a 48,0r 50 truck cab then that what it is taged as.now if you get a vintage tag it has to be inspected.i have never had any problems.
Old December 7th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

So what about something like this that I saw at CBI on Saturday? Would there be a vin number on a cab this old?
Old December 7th   #7
twisted metal
twisted metal
rust is a color.

yea there should be,if not find one out of another junker or parts car.
Old December 9th   #8
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

On our '31 coupe and '37 pickup, with no VIN anywhere on the rides, we went on line and searched the range of what the VIN numbers were for these rides. Then we made up one, took the information to an engraver and had a VIN plaque made and put on the ride. Put that number on the bill of sale and got it registered. Yes, now the DMV does require that the ride be brought to them to inspect if it has not been registered in Alabama recently. So on our '37, the VIN plaque had to be on the firewall, per DMV. We used double sided tape, and after we got it registered, took the VIN plaque and put it in the glove box.
coupemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th   #9
twisted metal
twisted metal
rust is a color.

yep that is always the backup plan.thats what i had to do to my 52 pickup,all the old trucks i found in the junk yards some one had robbed the vin tags.
Old December 9th   #10
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Intersting. I wonder if it's the same way in other states.

So of course, the first thing that runs into my head is 'demand for vin plates! Is there a supply?' And a search on google lead me these sites:
http://www.machineplatesonline.com/v...d-hull-plates/
http://www.chevellestuff.com/misc/plate_sales.htm

Drats, the supply is already there. Seems like it's a business model that works.
Old December 11th   #11
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Other states that we have sold a few rides to are more strict and require more paperwork and proof. Alabama is pretty relaxed.
Old December 2nd   #12
Thames59
Thames59
has no status.

I know this thread is been here a while, but wanted to share my experience. On the Thames all that is left of the original car is the outer body. The chassis, drivetrain, floors, firewall, etc are all fabricated. I was lucky in that I got an old Michigan title with the car that showed the vin. Anglia Brokers sell reproduction vin plates, so I got them to stamp the vin plate with the correct numbers & send to me. Put the vin plate on the firewall and took to court house. Lady in Probate office had to "inspect" car. Actually, the inspection consists of seeing the vin plate & verifying the numbers. After the "Inspection" she took pics to send to her husband and wanted me to bring it by when the car was finished so she could take more pics. The car hobby has grown in popularity over the years. I would not have had the same experience a few years ago!
Old December 3rd   #13
GrantH
GrantH
aka GrantYoungPhotography
Huntsville Car Scene Staff

Be careful what you call a rat rod Old traditional rods are far far different than rat rods

Last edited by GrantH; December 3rd at 06:09 AM.
GrantH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd   #14
GrantH
GrantH

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupemama View Post
On our '31 coupe and '37 pickup, with no VIN anywhere on the rides, we went on line and searched the range of what the VIN numbers were for these rides. Then we made up one, took the information to an engraver and had a VIN plaque made and put on the ride. Put that number on the bill of sale and got it registered. Yes, now the DMV does require that the ride be brought to them to inspect if it has not been registered in Alabama recently. So on our '37, the VIN plaque had to be on the firewall, per DMV. We used double sided tape, and after we got it registered, took the VIN plaque and put it in the glove box.

Made up VIN + custom plaque....Is that even legal?
Old December 3rd   #15
HorsepowerHeels
HorsepowerHeels
has no status.

Send a message via AIM to HorsepowerHeels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
I was going through the CBI Open House pics
Polite Derail: Where are the pics posted? We got there when everyone was leaving, and I'd love to see what all we missed.
Old December 3rd   #16
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Legal? Do not really know for sure, but it has worked for us so far. The DMV just wanted to make sure that the VIN on the bill of sale is the same as on the firewall (or somewhere on the vehicle). Before this, one of the DMV personnel told us to paint the VIN in the bill of sale on the firewall so that they can see it!!!!!
Old December 3rd   #17
GrantH
GrantH

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupemama View Post
Legal? Do not really know for sure, but it has worked for us so far. The DMV just wanted to make sure that the VIN on the bill of sale is the same as on the firewall (or somewhere on the vehicle). Before this, one of the DMV personnel told us to paint the VIN in the bill of sale on the firewall so that they can see it!!!!!
I guess there is a cut off to when they really care about anything, year wise. Try switching vin numbers on a new car LOL.
Old December 4th   #18
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

With these street rods thru the 40s, with no paper trails, and the original engines, frames & possibly body parts being replaced over the years , there is no real way to proof if the information is correct or not. May not be able to find any original numbers or markings anywhere on the rides. So all the DMV can do is check the Bill of Sale with the VIN that they have asked be put on the firewall. Works for us, since we are into street rods!!!
Old December 4th   #19
RatTrap
RatTrap
-Rat is where it's at!.

Any auto pre-72 in Alabama

Pre 72's don't need to be titled.
A bill of sale, VIN of some type, and a tag receipt
are all that are needed.

My rat rod has a home-made VIN plate
on the door jamb that the builder made up.

That was good enough for DMV.
RatTrap is offline   Reply With Quote