Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Show and Shine

Show and Shine Post pictures, videos, and other stuff to look at

Old December 8th   #1
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Vintage Motorcycles and One Man's Opinion

Just saw this video posted on the Redstone Rider's website. He reminds me of Spook and Airkooled Kustoms, lol.
http://vimeo.com/20789680

But he does have some interesting things to say about the youth of America and where we are going. Do you agree with him? Disagree?
Old December 8th   #2
AGSoldier
AGSoldier
Zoom-Zoomin!

I agree with what he's saying to a degree. America does seem to be losing the "can do attitude". We as a country could continue to have that attitude but why pay workers here when you can pay someone over seas to do it much cheaper. It all revolves around money in the end and that's the problem.

The thing that people have to understand however is that everyone is passionate about something. Whether it be cars computers or whatever, interests shift with each generation in my opinion. However to say that the youth can't handle a screw driver is a little extreme lol. I know plenty of some of my close friends that love to work on cars, they just do it for fun and not for a living. To say that "we don't care or don't have the aptitude?" I'd have to strongly disagree with him on that one.
With all that being said...those were some sick vintage bikes lol
AGSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th   #3
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

I'm right there with you. I'm pretty good with screwdrivers.

Money has become the driving factor without regards to what the 'other' costs like. People are wanting an iphone 4gs so bad that they don't care that it's made in China for 1/2 the price as what it would be made in USA, and at the cost of American jobs. And a lot of people don't want to earn the money for that phone, they just want it handed to them.

And the problem works the other way too though. In Brazil, they cut off imports to help build the local infrastructure. And now the country is actually behind the world, and foreign goods have a 10x profit margin over domestic ones due to supply and demand.

It's a global world now, and I don't know if anyone has really figured out what the balance needs to be. The same problems we have dometically seem to be global too--the division between the haves and the have nots. Just like in our own neighborhoods.
Old December 9th   #4
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

There were the same amount of "screwdriver ignorant" teens in the '60s. I don't see the percentages any different. A certain portion of the population will always have the mechanical aptitude to wrench on things.