Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old December 13th   #1
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Oil dependence

This technology has been in development for years, and its getting close to reality. If the government really wanted to cut the ties with foreign oil, they would be funding this and implementing it on a massive level. Instead, Solar Roadways seek donations from the general public to make it happen. Strange...

http://www.solarroadways.com/main.html
Old December 13th   #2
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police

1. We're broke.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

2. If it's a viable solution, investors will fund it because they want to make money. If it's unproven technology with a lot of lobbyists working for it, the taxpayers will pay the bill and it will most likely go under like LightSquared and Solyndra.

3. If certain people in the government would allow us to explore for shale oil locally and actually build the Canadian oil pipeline, along with opening up that barren land known as ANWR, it would really in the real world not make believe actually cut our dependence on foreign oil, unlike all these green fantasies for which I keep getting robbed in order to fund.
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th   #3
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

I think the biggest problem is that we're so used to the supply of what is a finite resource. Price hikes and supply/demand issues will continue to escalate as time goes on.

It is a time to re-think and re-engineer the whole solution. But the challenge is to do it in a way that doesn't halt the existing infrastructure. That's why change is always slow on things in motion (like HCS)--you can't just rip it all out and build it the way it should have been in the first place.

But we're getting to a point where this will either need to be done or things will grind to a halt anyways. The government here can't sustain the debt and stupid ideas that it has for years now. It's starting to come back on them, and the problem is, we're going to be faced with rebuilding the entire world from scratch.

Starting out building test 'colonies' that use new world techniques such as these solar roads will probably be the way to start. If these things can generate power for a city, you could literally build a city in the middle of nowhere and it have enough power to sustain itself. Offer free power to residents to start the economy--and then it grows from there.
Old December 13th   #4
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

I know we are broke. Trillions spent overseas, trying to stabilize the middle east is working very well for us. Might as well just stay the path. Rock on Congress...
Old December 13th   #5
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Horneck View Post
I know we are broke. Trillions spent overseas, trying to stabilize the middle east is working very well for us. Might as well just stay the path. Rock on Congress...
You forgot to write that in sarcasm font.
Old December 13th   #6
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
I think the biggest problem is that we're so used to the supply of what is a finite resource. Price hikes and supply/demand issues will continue to escalate as time goes on.
That's a very big assumption that oil is a finite resource. Ever hear of the abiotic theory? I don't believe the peak oil scare stories.
Old December 13th   #7
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.

Quote:
We can do all of the above in terms of energy policy if politicians would get out of the way and let us drill on our own land and our own waters instead of watching Cuba and China do it 5 miles off our coast. And we can invest *privately* in new technologies and not have politicians trying to pick winners and losers based on lobbying dollars and my tax dollars. When people understand this basic truth - that the government will fail at nearly everything it attempts, and do the rest poorly, we will start to get farther ahead in the world.
Old December 13th   #8
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragginbody87 View Post
That's a very big assumption that oil is a finite resource. Ever hear of the abiotic theory? I don't believe the peak oil scare stories.
Oh, I'm talking about the people crying that the sky is falling, but just as a general rule. It's still a finite resource. Even if it takes a thousand years to use it up, we still will.
Quote:
We can do all of the above in terms of energy policy if politicians would get out of the way and let us drill on our own land and our own waters instead of watching Cuba and China do it 5 miles off our coast. And we can invest *privately* in new technologies and not have politicians trying to pick winners and losers based on lobbying dollars and my tax dollars. When people understand this basic truth - that the government will fail at nearly everything it attempts, and do the rest poorly, we will start to get farther ahead in the world.
Government in itself has failed the people. And that's a bad sign.
Old December 14th   #9
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.

Quote:
It's still a finite resource.
Not if you believe the abiotic/abiogenic theory.
Old December 14th   #10
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

those solar roadways are the goofiest thing I have read of in a long time. I think something could be done better, but a freaking solar panel to drive on. What kind of tolerance would these things hold up against, how would traction be in the rain. What about expanding the road/adding more lanes, modifing/lane shifts at intersections. What about the Multiple man hole covers that had access to the sewer/storm drain. If you have to repair that systems you can't just dig it up and repatch the damaged area. To many areas for error, and who takes the liabilty of the road in case of an accident or damage??
Old December 14th   #11
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Quote:
Not if you believe the abiotic/abiogenic theory.
We could still use up all of those resources if the consumption out-stripped supply. Besides, it's still an open-loop system, with the waste product having no place to go.
Old December 14th   #12
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjohns View Post
those solar roadways are the goofiest thing I have read of in a long time. I think something could be done better, but a freaking solar panel to drive on. What kind of tolerance would these things hold up against, how would traction be in the rain. What about expanding the road/adding more lanes, modifing/lane shifts at intersections. What about the Multiple man hole covers that had access to the sewer/storm drain. If you have to repair that systems you can't just dig it up and repatch the damaged area. To many areas for error, and who takes the liabilty of the road in case of an accident or damage??
You have a better idea than most on how these may fare in comparison to traditional roads. I'm assuming they're some sort of plastic, which would make rain driving hazardous even with some sort of grooves in them. I'm sure expanding lanes wouldn't be much different than now. Man hole covers and such for the existing underground infrastructure would definitely be an issue. I'm sure repair would actually be easier as you're not trying to move rock, just lift out a panel and replace it. As far as liability, I don't see there being any change there--it's still considered property damage just like it is today.
Old December 14th   #13
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjohns View Post
Every question you have is on the extensive website. Just parking lots is the goal for right now. A Super Walmart parking lot would generate more power than the store could use.
Old December 14th   #14
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.

Quote:
A Super Walmart parking lot would generate more power than the store could use.
If they can make this work in a proof of concept, none of my tax money will be needed for investing in their company.
Old December 14th   #15
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.

Quote:
We could still use up all of those resources if the consumption out-stripped supply. Besides, it's still an open-loop system, with the waste product having no place to go.
Until we develop nanotech that will take care of that. Or someday we can haul waste to the sun to be burned up.
Old December 14th   #16
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Quote:
Until we develop nanotech that will take care of that. Or someday we can haul waste to the sun to be burned up.
Nanotech is some pretty cool stuff, but again, it's still going to have to be a closed loop. I don't thinking hauling away tons of the earth's mass to the sun is a long-term solution. We'll change the orbit and various other factors that will be detrimental.