Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old December 14th   #1
Smyly@TFR
Smyly@TFR
Professional Detailer
Huntsville Car Scene Site Sponsor

Triple Turbo M3 in the Future!!!

If this actually gets put on the market im going to be head over heels to have one in the garage!! Triple turbo M3!!!

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/07/n...ple-turbo-six/
MORE SOURCES:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=570925
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au..._car_boom.html

The BMW M3 has grown cylinders over the years like a pubescent pre-teen grows in height. What started out with an inline-four then grew into a straight-six for two generations before packing a V8 into the current model. The next one is expected to set to drop a couple of combustion chambers and go back to a single bank, but don't think for one minute that'll mean a drop in performance.

According to the rumormongers at AutoExpress, the next-generation M3, due sometime around 2014 after the new 3 Series comes along, will pack wait for it a triple-turbo straight-six. The innovative arrangement will reportedly include two conventional spools powered off exhaust gases and a third electric turbocharger. Total output could be around 450 horsepower a bump over the current V8 model's 414 hp with even more carbon fiber bits than the CRT edition pictured above to help keep weight down.

Not exciting enough? BMW's M division has plenty more in the cards, potentially including an oft-rumored new M1 supercar and, once the 1 Series M Coupe is done its production run, a lightweight CSL version. An M version of the Z4 is also under consideration, but of course nothing final until the cars make their debuts.
News Source: AutoExpress
Old December 14th   #2
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyly@TFR View Post
...and a third electric turbocharger.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Elect...item35b7bb32c7

Or there's also a twin-turbo model:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TWIN-...item35b7c37abd

I'm sure it has to be a production implementation of what's in these kits, but the idea still seems a bit hokey.
Old December 15th   #3
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't they go away from the "twin turbo" setup back to the single on the 335 because of issues. It seems kinda dumb to do a triple turbo set up. Personally I'm a huge fan of the V8 M3.............at the end of the day there is no replacement for displacement.
Old December 15th   #4
ITSFAST
ITSFAST
---BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't they go away from the "twin turbo" setup back to the single on the 335 because of issues. It seems kinda dumb to do a triple turbo set up. Personally I'm a huge fan of the V8 M3.............at the end of the day there is no replacement for displacement.
BMW and Mercedes keeps jumping back and forth between turbo or displacement. Honestly, I trust MB more just because they've been in the game longer and have shown some proven numbers with their turbo models.

But yes, I'd rather have the V8 M3 or V8 C63 over the turbo models any day. Just hearing a C63 start up...oooooooohhhhhhh.
Old December 15th   #5
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Mercedes makes some of the most reliable engines in the world, proven by the fact that a lot of exotic manufacturers use their engine of the powerplant.

And while there is 'no replacement for displacement', sometimes I see raw displacement as just a lazy way to get power. We're over 100hp per liter now in production cars, and double that in the tuned world. When a production car has 4 liters in displacement and under 300hp, yes, it's more powerful than a 1.something liter, but not nearly as optimized.
Old December 15th   #6
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
Mercedes makes some of the most reliable engines in the world, proven by the fact that a lot of exotic manufacturers use their engine of the powerplant.

And while there is 'no replacement for displacement', sometimes I see raw displacement as just a lazy way to get power. We're over 100hp per liter now in production cars, and double that in the tuned world. When a production car has 4 liters in displacement and under 300hp, yes, it's more powerful than a 1.something liter, but not nearly as optimized.
Lazy or not bigger is better. I know turbo fan's are going to say other wise but hang two turbo's off a lsx and see what kind of power you end up with.

I'm the first person to respect something for what it is but if you want to make power GO BIG!!!!

Last edited by EvilZ; December 15th at 12:14 PM.
EvilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th   #7
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ View Post
Lazy or not bigger is better.
7.4L v16 -- 165hp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_V16_engine

Efficiency is what brings the power to the table. A modern day 2L has more power than this. By today's standards that v16 should have at least 740hp if it was efficient.