Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Rally Dixie 2012 Team Econobox #122
Calendar: Events Calendar
Natedog  
June 18th to June 21st 09:00 AM to 12:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: Indiana to Florida

Rally North America’s “2012 Rally Dixie”
June 18-21, 2012

"1300 miles driving some of the most scenic roads in the country, surrounded by eighty plus sports cars, muscle cars, and other unique rides, searching for secret check points at incredible places; this is Rally Dixie 2012. Rally Dixie 2012 features 80 teams of two or more people, three racing venues, (Autocross in Nobleville IN, Clarksville Speedway & Dragway, and Talladega Superspeedway) thirty six stops at historical or scenic locations, and one great end of rally party to be held at The Ramada Beach Resort in Fort Walton Beach Florida. Established in the winter of 2009, Rally North America Charities is a not-for-profit organization, aimed at bringing automotive enthusiasts from all over the United States and Canada, together for the purpose of Auto rallying. Each rally organized by Rally North America carries a common idea, driving for a cause. RNA believes that by combining the love of the automotive lifestyle and a worthy charity organization, it is possible to do something “good” through the automotive hobby. The 2012 Rally Dixie charity partner is Accelerated Cure Project."

"The Accelerated Cure Project is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to accelerating the cure of MS by facilitating research that determines the causes and mechanisms of MS. Our primary strategic initiative is the establishment of the MS Repository, a large-scale collection of highly-characterized biosamples available to scientists at any organization who are conducting research that contributes to our mission. All data generated through analysis of MS Repository samples is contributed back to the Accelerated Cure Project, resulting in an increasingly valuable and comprehensive information resource that can be analyzed to reveal new insights about MS. Multiple sclerosis, or MS, is a chronic demyelinating disorder of the central nervous system affecting over 400,000 people in the US and 2 million individuals worldwide. MS often results in severe disability including the inability to walk, impaired vision, or in some cases blindness, cognitive dysfunction, bladder and bowel problems, extreme fatigue and other serious symptoms. Unfortunately, no one knows what causes multiple sclerosis, there is no known cure for the disease, and treatments are modest at best."

I procured one of those 80 spots for my 1989 Mirage Turbo (Team Econobox, #122), so here I am, asking for some support/sponsorship on this endeavor.

The car is probably the best known Turbo Mirage on the internet, thanks to the last owner, Tom Tharp (www.turbomirage.com). I purchased this car from him as a roller a few years back and have modified it almost back to the level that he once had it.The overall mods include: built engine, FP2 Cams, FP68HTA, FP Race Manifold, DSM Link V2, Cyclone intake, FIC 950s, etc. While the car is running well and I've currently been daily driving it, I still have a good bit of work/upgrades I want to handle before the race, including a Cyborg Body treatment, suspension work, and refinishing a set of TE37's that I have for it.

A few pictures of my car.

(Thanks again for those pictures Samir!)

My co-pilot will be Aaron Anderson from Anderson, IN; he is a regular on the 4g61t.org forum, and has an AWD swapped Colt. He should be handy to have around given his pre-existing knowledge of the car in general.

We already have the entry fee paid and the hotel rooms reserved. The "Event Sponsor" stickers go on the car first, then everything else is considered open real estate.

From the RNA forum - "We have over 250 media outlets to contact for our 2012 event (The list is growing daily). It's a good bet that many of these contacts from newspaper, radio & TV will be covering our teams as we roll into their prospective towns." So not only will it be a great cause, your sponsorship will actually be seen.

More information on the event, and other events to come can be found at,
http://www.rallynorthamerica.com/

Donations will work two ways. You can donate directly to the charity via our team website (which still needs a little work) or myself or Aaron will be accepting donations for team expense, EITHER donation will get your stickers on my car. I don't feel right on placing a price on size and location of the sponsorship stickers, but be logical/fair with your offers please.

Donations to the Team Econobox website will determine where we start in the race, teams with the most donations get to choose what Pole Position they want. I pledged to raise $1000 for this event, but I feel we can do much better than that. Dontations can be made at
https://www.firstgiving.com/fundrais...-america-dixie

Thanks everyone, if you have any questions please feel free to ask or PM me; I'll do the best I can to get back to you soon.

Pictures of the car ready for the rally:

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

2 members will be attending this event:

Old January 6th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Thank you so much for the post! Sounds like this is going to be a really fun time, and for a really great cause as well with proceeds going exactly where they should.

It was fascinating to hear about the story of your car on turbomirage.com, and with the picture I took of the engine bay at the autocross, there's a great side-by-side comparision of the then and now:

I'd like to help out how I can as a sponsor, but being cash-strapped myself, the only thing I can probably help with is discounts on hotel lodging (unless you're required to stay certain places), and possibly gas cards.

I'll also be making a strong effort to be there when you guys are in Gadsden, and provide some excellent local event coverage that local companies can benefit from (hint hint local companies ). There's several companies in Gadsden, as well as all over North Alabama that if only donated $50, would put you to the $1000 mark. Key partners would be companies that are local, but are looking for cheap regional exposure. I've got a list of companies you can contact that might be worth your while, so once I'm feeling better, we'll have to get together so I can share the list with you.

And research park is a great place too if you've already got inside connections. A lot of the companies here need non-government work to be stable and secure, but need to get outside exposure to do it. And car enthusiasts are like any other high-end social circle like doctors, lawyers, and accountants--and many have their own companies or friends with them. A single contract can pay for a $1000 sponsorship many times over for a research park company. The hard part is getting in touch with the right people. Target, Walmart, and Sam's also have funds set aside for causes like this.

I'm behind you guys on this in a big way, so let me know if there's anything else I can do to help!
Old January 16th   #3
ray
ray

If Samir will carpool me to Gadsden I'll be there!
Old January 16th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayman View Post
If Samir will carpool me to Gadsden I'll be there!
You've welcome to tag along! But it will be a long day.
Old January 17th   #5
Natedog
Natedog
is contemplating my next project...

I hope to see some of you guys there. I'll be disapointed if not...
91 Mighty Max 4x4 - Broken DD
05 Mitsubishi Lancer - "Big Wing Edition"
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th   #6
ray
ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
I hope to see some of you guys there. I'll be disapointed if not...
Since this is in Gadsden...and in June...I might be able to swing some type of canyon run with a group of people since it is fairly close to Fort Payne.

Then you would have a handful of cheerleaders

What day of the event are you supposed to be in Gadsden?

Last edited by ray; January 17th at 02:35 PM.
ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

The only thing I read from all of that was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayman View Post
...handful of cheerleaders...
I keed! I keed!

But seriously, I don't think you'd be able to make a canyon run and this event too. They get there early in the morning and it's on a weekday from what I recall, so a lot of people will have work.
Old January 18th   #8
Natedog
Natedog

Wednesday the 20th is the evening we roll into Gadsden.
Old January 18th   #9
ray
ray

Yeah I just looked at the calendar for these dates and since it is during the week...that's a no go for me. I got the workz.
Old January 31st   #10
Natedog
Natedog

Car goes into the shop for a facelift next week, after that I'm taking it down to apply parts from my first sponsor!

Samir, I'll try to catch up with you for a bit at the Mitsu meet, maybe we can talk about some possible places I should be looking for sponsorship.
Old January 31st   #11
ray
ray

Congrats on the ECMLInk sponsorship man!
Old January 31st   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Car goes into the shop for a facelift next week, after that I'm taking it down to apply parts from my first sponsor!

Samir, I'll try to catch up with you for a bit at the Mitsu meet, maybe we can talk about some possible places I should be looking for sponsorship.
And it begins. Definitely. I'm learning more about where to look all the time.
Old February 12th   #13
Natedog
Natedog

http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraise...-america-dixie

Friendly Reminder bump! I'm still looking for good sponsors

Last edited by Natedog; February 12th at 09:34 PM. Reason: grammar
Old February 13th   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Hey, so what all are you looking for and needing?
Old February 13th   #15
Natedog
Natedog

I would really like to see more donations going to the Charity itself. Again, the donations there will get your stickers on my car. I just ask that you contact me directly to discuss size and placement of said decals.

Parts wise I'm planning on buying new lower Controll arms from Mitsu befor the race, my stock bushings are pretty worn, and the only way to get new ones is to wait for 6 weeks+ for aftermarket parts from Australia. I'd love to get a company (or mutliple ones) to help with a set of K Sport Coil overs. However that will probably be something that I buy myself before the rally. I will be needing a set of Drag Radials, for the auto cross / drag race. (I will get the size to who ever is interested in helping). Any sort of monetary dontaion toward fuel cost would be great as well. These are all I really need at this point.
Old February 13th   #16
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

That's a lot of stuff, but I like how you want to have more to the charity itself.

I'd talk to Chris at TruFacts since they've got great connections with ksport:
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/showthread.php?t=5352
Old February 14th   #17
NiTeZ
NiTeZ
7M-GE goes in today! :D

Send a message via Yahoo to NiTeZ
Hey man I let my contact at Design Engineering INC know and see what they can do for you. I gave him the link to your page. If you get contacted by a Mike Zenone, that is my contact with them . Hopefully they will help you out some. I'm going to talk to my shop owner and see if she can help out in anyway. If not I'll try to donate some my next pay check. Good luck to you .
NiTeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th   #18
NiTeZ
NiTeZ

I just got off the phone is Mike Zenone and he is going to talk to corprate about full out sponsoring you. This is something he is very interested in and hopes they can do something for you. Not sure about any monetary donations yet. But they do have products that will keep that engine cool with all that driving. I've been sponsored by them for 6 years now. First year I'm not taking a sponsorship from them (have just about every product they carry that I can use lol). Good thing cause that spot frees up for things like this .
Old February 15th   #19
Natedog
Natedog

That's great! I will watch my email for anything from them. If I need to contact them please get me the contacts info and I will do so! Thanks!
Old February 16th   #20
NiTeZ
NiTeZ

Here is all the info....If you need the fax number just let me know. you can also check out their website http://www.designengineering.com/. Hope all this works out for ya.
Mike Zenone
Design Engineering, INC.
604 Moore Rd.
Avon Lake, Ohio 44012
1-800-264-9472
mikez@designengineering.com

You might also want to get with Shelly Norton with SPEC Clutches. I have been sponsored by them as well. To be honest with you I would go to all the main companies that you like find the contact info and msg them with a sponsorship proposal and the link to your page. You would get a high response rate cause what you are doing is going to be a big deal. Only problem is companies are starting to go through agencies like CS.com and you have to pay for the service. I find it much easier to cut out the middle man and do it yourself cause I can get sponsors all day long for a show car, I'm thinking what I could do with a race car lol. Anyways good luck man and hope this helps out .