Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Show and Shine

Show and Shine Post pictures, videos, and other stuff to look at

Old January 10th   #1
Wilson!
Wilson!
is wishing he was in a kayak on the river...

Corvette Hash Marks

put these on my car today. they are not a vintage set like i was wanting, but they ARE the exact size and shape as original, and the color is extremely close to the original color. these have been at the center of one of my biggest automotive pet peeve's. people that stamp a sticker on their car, but have no idea what the history or meaning behind the sticker.

Old January 10th   #2
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
I've always liked those. I've even seen people put them on an SRT4 and it looked good.

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Nice. The new Grand Sports have them as well, although like you've said, the meaning may be lost to the newest generation of owners.
Old January 10th   #4
ITSFAST
ITSFAST
---BAZINGA!

Although they are typically found only on the grand sport models, the history tells a different story.

"In the old days of racing, The hash marks indicated which side of the car the steering was located. They did this because racers who drive on both sides of the pond, often got into the wrong side of the car during Lemans.

The original 4 '63 Grand Sport racers that ran at Nassau were trimmed and painted exactly the same. The pit crews put strips of duct tape on the cars front left fenders to tell them apart when they came into the pits.
One stripe on car #1, two on #2 etc. "
Old January 10th   #5
Wilson!
Wilson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSFAST View Post
Although they are typically found only on the grand sport models, the history tells a different story.

"In the old days of racing, The hash marks indicated which side of the car the steering was located. They did this because racers who drive on both sides of the pond, often got into the wrong side of the car during Lemans.

The original 4 '63 Grand Sport racers that ran at Nassau were trimmed and painted exactly the same. The pit crews put strips of duct tape on the cars front left fenders to tell them apart when they came into the pits.
and the old guy nails it
Old January 10th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:

Nice! So I guess it isn't to blasphemous to put them on other cars.
Old January 10th   #7
Wilson!
Wilson!

Hash mark history lesson: The hash marks have Corvette history going back to the early sixties when Corvette was racing. In the 60's, Corvette was racing in the 24 hours of LeMans. They had three cars all blue with a white stripe and they didn't have numbers on them. What they did was, put red duct tape on the left front fender. One strip for car one , two strips for the second car, and three strips for the back up car. They were placed on the left front fender, because when they passed the European judges. The judges saw the red hash marks identifying what car it was. The white stripe and blue paint. The red white and blue American car. The C5-R carried black hash marks in 2001. They carried them on the left front fender.This is what Corvette racing has done and what history has set for us. So when someone asks what are those and why arent they on both fenders,you can tell them and it will have some history behind it.
Old January 10th   #8
Ba Mustang
Ba Mustang
terrible forum

I've thought about getting a set of white or black ones for my mustang, I really like the look of them
Ba Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Just don't put them on both sides. Then you'd have what I call 'cat whiskers', and won't know what side of the car to get in at a Lemans start!
Old January 16th   #10
2SSRSinBama
2SSRSinBama
is stimulating the economy through burned rubber!!!

Quote:

I feel bad for car number 89
Headers(no cats), Catback, CAI, SLP UD Pullies, Ported TB, tune
2SSRSinBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRSinBama View Post
I feel bad for car number 89