Rocket City Mustang Club
Monthly Meetings
Casa Blanca
Every 3rd Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.

Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Local Group Forums > Rocket City Mustang Club

Rocket City Mustang Club The official forum for the Rocket City Mustang Club, one of the Mustang Clubs in the area

Old September 27th   #1
Greg G
Greg G
has no status.

What's the Buzz ?

Something to ponder .......

12-12volt batteries required among other electrical and electronic devices.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th   #2
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

no way jose

couldnt possibly have enough torque to move. looks like a stick shift
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th   #3
Greg G
Greg G
has no status.

DC motor specs

At 120 volts/450 amps the electric motor produces 95 foot pounds of torque and 54 horse power. At 120volts/900amps the electric motor produces 225 foot pounds of torque and 84 HP.

A picture of the brushes being run in. Takes about 2 hours at 12 volts.
Here's a link to a webpage where this has been done.
Jerry's Electric Toyota Truck
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

It's about time someone really started to realize the potential of motors. My brother would tell me about the countless times he was smoked away by a silent electric car that was gone as soon as the light turned green.

Looks like a cool project, although I would've just gone for a more powerful motor and just ditched the tranmission all together.
Old September 27th   #5
sixtyfivestang
sixtyfivestang
has no status.

A long time ago they had articles, how to's columns and magazines on hybrids. I remember seeing directions, plans and a parts list for converting a subaru to a hybrid. They listed a fighter jet starter motor (surplus), battery pack, small gas motor, (3.5 briggs and stratt) and a large alternator. The briggs would provide battery recharge via the alt and the batteries would run the starter motor. They claimed 60 mpg back in the day.... I wonder what a briggs would sound like through a flow master muffler??
sixtyfivestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Fuel efficiency is one thing, but it still has to be fun. I think some of the current hybrid technology is pretty neat. The biggest selling point is the gas mileage while retaining most of the normal car feel.

Now, what would be neat is to take a 160,000 rpm motor and put it in a drag car with no transmission and a bunch of batteries that would die after a 1/4 mile. It would be interesting to see that against the big engine boys. I'm not sure about the power-to-weight ratio, but I think it would be similar enough for a good race.

Last edited by Samir; September 27th at 10:44 PM.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th   #7
HOSS429
HOSS429

fluid drive

i would head off in the direction of fluid drive with something like that . let the electric motors drive a hydraulic pump to propel a vehicle. hydraulics can greatly multiply a small work effort. it doesnt take but a few foot pounds of pressure to stop a 4000 lb car
Old September 28th   #8
HOSS429
HOSS429

more pressure please

more on fluid drive. we have a monster of a machine here at work that should be in a museum . it used to be direct drive electric like a ring gear and pinion. when that thing was turned on the lites in the whole building would dim. it was built before WW2 for the japanese and they used it to manufacture parts of the very planes and bombs that fell on pearl harbor. we had it converted to fluid drive about ten years ago and you could almost run it with a flashlite battery
Old September 28th   #9
HOSS429
HOSS429

on second thought

let me back up from post # 2. i first thought it needed spinning inertia torque to get going but i see now it wouldnt as he obviously has no clutch. with the torque and hp mentioned it looks good to me. may not even need the lower gears.