Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Local Group Forums > North Alabama Mitsubishi Owners

North Alabama Mitsubishi Owners A dedicated forum for the Mitsubishi Owners in North Alabama

Old January 15th   #1
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Main, Main, Main Fuse?

So about a month back I was moving my Galant which hadn't been driven in a few years. The reason it was parked in the first place was because I lost compression on cylinder 1 or 4 (whichever one is on the driver's side).

The car started immediately (gotta love Japanese cars), but I noticed a surging in electrical power once I turned on the headlights. It's been sitting for a while and was out in the elements for a few years, so I know the grounds must be terrible and assumed that's what was causing the problem.

Well, I had to turn on the high beans at one point to help judge the distances in the storage unit where I was maneuvering the car, and the car just died when I turned them on. I thought it might have just been the load and the car stalled, but it's completely dead. Not even the interior lights turn on when I insert the key. Even the shift lock won't work (it's an automatic). I somehow recall an electrical type smell from the engine bay shortly after this happened, but could never pinpoint it. I'm assuming it's some sort of main, main, main electrical connection/ground/fusable link somewhere that shorted/overheated/melted.

I haven't had a chance to check the wiring diagrams in my factory service manual, but was just curious if anyone knew what this might be off the top of their head. It's a 4g64 single cam engine, which was stock in the 1996 Galant. Any assistance appreciated.
Old January 15th   #2
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Usually a 100 amp alternator fuse on the sirius engine family cars. The alternators in DSMs don't have a self exciting regulator, and the ecu regulates voltage. But I can't say for sure its the same with galants aside from the 91-92 vr-4 variety.
Tanro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Hmmm...so a fuse on the alternator? Would that cause the circuit from the battery to the electrical systems to be open and not connected?
Old January 15th   #4
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Pretty sure its in the fuse box, it might be labeled choke.

Its one of those mitsubishi style fusible links, not a blade fuse.

Last edited by Tanro; January 15th at 01:59 PM.
Old January 15th   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Yeah, I didn't see a way to check any of the relay-looking fusible links, but that's what I was suspecting too. A look at the FSM and some trial and error should get me back running. Thank you for the help!
Old January 15th   #6
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

You can tell when a fusible link is blown. It will be brown and burnt inside, and it will not extent all the way across. A flashlight helps.
Old January 15th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Cool, I'll look for that. The ones I have look just a relay though and are a sealed box-type thing, if I'm thinking of the right part.
Old January 15th   #8
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Your car doesnt have any of these in the fusebox?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGIQ8wIwBQ
Old January 15th   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

It does, but all those looked good.
Old January 16th   #10
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

That is a baffler then. I have to ask... Fresh battery after sitting for years? If so I would clean the battery terminals with coca-cola. The regular kind brand name. It eats corrosion off battery terminals like nothing. Make sure your getting good grounds. Probably has a wire coming off the negative terminal and grounding to the transmission. Usually another ground wire somewhere on the firewall.

Last edited by Tanro; January 16th at 09:07 AM.
Old January 16th   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

It's an Optima Yellow top that sits on a Battery Tender brand tender. The terminals look perfectly clean so I don't think it's a battery related issue. But I've got other batteries lying around, so I can try another one.

I was suspecting a ground may have melted due to corrosion on the ground point creating resistance. I'll look for those two grounds, especially the one to the transmission.
Old January 16th   #12
ray
ray

Samir...are you trying to get the Galant running for the meet?
Old January 16th   #13
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

It would be nice, but sadly no. I just want it to start again so I can move it under its own power. Right now where it's sitting, I can't optimize all the space.

Someday I want to get the 4g64 fixed so the car will drive again, and a long term plan on it was to swap a built 4g63t and auto eclipse tranny. Something that would be 140+whp under 4k, but would jump to 400whp once boost builds. Good for daily driving and highway fun.

Oh, and I want the ADM front for the car--radiator support, headlights, grille, and front bumper cover. It looks like a BMW 3 series that way.

Last edited by Samir; January 16th at 09:45 AM.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th   #14
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

I am assuming the galant didn't change to the newer style engines earlier than the other cars. Your car has the transmission/battery/intake on the left/passenger side yeah?

If all your fuses are good, and a good battery, then the most likely issue is faulty connections. Most likely ground. But the starter is just under the intake manifold. Its not the easiest thing to get to, but should be a bit easier to access on a n/t.

If you've got a older style 2.4 4g64 you can just swap it to a DOHC head from a 4g63, or 4g64 dohc galant. Though if your going boosted your gonna want different pistons. The n/t pistons are higher compression, and have very poor ringlands.
Old January 16th   #15
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Yep, everything is on the passenger side.

I'm thinking it's some sort of main ground or connection since there is absolutely no power in the car--nothing even with the key.

I wouldn't mess with swapping heads or anything like that if I was going to an upgraded engine. I'd just get it built by a reputable company and drop it in.
Old January 16th   #16
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

What I am saying, is that you can use the bottom end you allready have. Its the same block with a higher deck height. As they say there is no replacement for displacement.

If you do decide to go with a 2.0 block Let me know. I need a 2.4 block for the rx-7 build.
Old January 16th   #17
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Oh, I know about the 2.4 dohc builds, but since the 2.0 dohc is less exotic, that will probably be my route. It's a looooong way in the future, so I'm going to have this 2.4 for a long time. I also keep all my old parts, so I probably would just keep the engine on a stand for backup or whatever.