Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourself here!

Old January 19th   #1
jastew
jastew
has no status.

Hello

I'm Jeff and I've recently become interested in auto cross. My wife gave me a Skip Barber driving course for my birthday last year and I'm hooked. I really wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. Just what I need, an expensive hobby.

I have no idea about the insurance implications but are there drivers out there who would be willing to team up with someone like me and let me drive their car in exchange for cost sharing with maintenance, tires, brakes, etc? I realize this is probably sacrilege asking to let someone else abuse your car but it can't hurt to ask.

I know a guy in MD who told me about auto cross. He drives a 350Z. Did some digging and found you guys.

I don't currently own a car suitable for auto cross but I drive a 2001 Maxima. I don't have the resources at this point to buy another car to play with.

Looking forward to coming to watch an event!
jastew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Welcome Jeff! You've come to love a sport that I do too. But one of the misconceptions is that you have to have some sort of 'prepared' car to enjoy it. I think it's actually the opposite--driving the car you do daily not only shows you what it can really do, but the techniques you learn will save you in some sort of real driving situation.

And don't think a 2001 Maxima isn't a great car to autocross:

This is 6spd_Hayes's 2002 Maxima, and he's had it for as long as I've been an enthusiast. And it's been racing everywhere--from drag strips, to road courses, to local and regional autocrosses. And it's very close to stock. Check out the videos and even more pics here:
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/showthread.php?t=4539
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/showthread.php?t=4991

We've actually got a local Nissan meet this Friday (tomorrow). You should come join us! It's laid-back and really informal, and it would give you a chance to talk to fellow autocrossers one-on-one:
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/ca...=2012-1-20&c=1
Old January 19th   #3
ray
ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by jastew View Post
I'm Jeff and I've recently become interested in auto cross. My wife gave me a Skip Barber driving course for my birthday last year and I'm hooked. I really wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. Just what I need, an expensive hobby.

I have no idea about the insurance implications but are there drivers out there who would be willing to team up with someone like me and let me drive their car in exchange for cost sharing with maintenance, tires, brakes, etc? I realize this is probably sacrilege asking to let someone else abuse your car but it can't hurt to ask.

I know a guy in MD who told me about auto cross. He drives a 350Z. Did some digging and found you guys.

I don't currently own a car suitable for auto cross but I drive a 2001 Maxima. I don't have the resources at this point to buy another car to play with.

You can do ride-alongs which will get you acquainted with the process and finer details of it. They have helmets you can borrow but you are a passenger and not a driver.

As far as autocross is concerned...just drive what you have. It isn't a huge deal and no one is going to laugh at you! That way you are learning and figuring out how it works and your car as well.

You can buy race day insurance (quite expensive) but completely worth it if it is your only car or hasn't been paid off yet. Since most (or any that I know of) normal auto insurance companies don't cover accidents in a racing environment.
Old January 19th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
I forgot to address this question.

So the insurance isn't any different than if someone else drives your car. Except the caveat is that most insurance companies will exclude coverage at a racing event. I'd check with your individual policy on this as it does differ from company to company.

But people share rides with other drivers all the time. Obviously, it's a huge amount of trust, and that will take time to build. But you see several two driver cars at each event.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayman View Post
You can do ride-alongs which will get you acquainted with the process and finer details of it. They have helmets you can borrow but you are a passenger and not a driver.

As far as autocross is concerned...just drive what you have. It isn't a huge deal and no one is going to laugh at you! That way you are learning and figuring out how it works and your car as well.

You can buy race day insurance (quite expensive) but completely worth it if it is your only car or hasn't been paid off yet. Since most (or any that I know of) normal auto insurance companies don't cover accidents in a racing environment.
Great info Ray! That's interesting about the race day insurance. How much does it run? $100? $1000?
Old January 19th   #5
ray
ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
I forgot to address this question.

So the insurance isn't any different than if someone else drives your car. Except the caveat is that most insurance companies will exclude coverage at a racing event. I'd check with your individual policy on this as it does differ from company to company.

But people share rides with other drivers all the time. Obviously, it's a huge amount of trust, and that will take time to build. But you see several two driver cars at each event.
Great info Ray! That's interesting about the race day insurance. How much does it run? $100? $1000?
Around $100-200 from what I have seen for one-day event insurance. I'm trying to find the company and link

Well crap. Maybe I was just lying. I am having a hard time finding it again and don't know where I saw these quotes.

It looks like most people from what I can find aren't covered and are having a hard time getting insurance for autocross.

Last edited by ray; January 19th at 11:11 AM.
ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I might have to call up my agent and see what she would quote me. I still need to meet with her about being an HCS advertiser too. She can do all sorts of specialized coverage like aftermarket addons and even declared value insurance.

Last edited by Samir; January 19th at 11:56 AM.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th   #7
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Hi Jeff. Welcome. Come out and play with us. It is possible to damage your car Autocrossing, but after over 10,000 runs last season, only a couple cars were damaged/broken. Pretty good odds you will be ok with your DD.
Old January 19th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Yep, mishaps are quite rare at our local autocrosses. I can count the number of incidents I've seen in the last few years on one hand.
Old January 20th   #9
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

Quote:

Hey bro. Maximas are just fine. I had an 97 and 95 Altima I loved and my best friend at the time had an 01 Maxima. They drove amazing. I have a 350Z now and I'll say this, I drove my Altima harder then my Z lol. I just take my Z and park hard. So, it's not all about having a sports car or anything, just fun. Hey, you need to come out to the Nissan meet we are having tonight out at Bridgestreet if you can. It starts at 5:30 and goes til... sometime later. If you can't that's cool because we do a monthly thing anyway. Hope to see you out soon!

Here's the link to the meets...

http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/sh...#axzz1jkNQxT41

My Z

Common sense isn't a common virtue.

Link to the Nissan/Infiniti group page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154828527932506/
1 BAD Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th   #10
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 BAD Z View Post
Both wives together. Nice.
Old January 21st   #11
jastew
jastew
has no status.

Thanks to all who replied. I'd be afraid to drive my DD the way I drove the cars at the Skip Barber school. I just don't see the old Maxima standing up to that kind of punishment.
Old January 21st   #12
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes
is happy to be on US soil

Send a message via AIM to 6spd_Hayes
Quote:
Thanks to all who replied. I'd be afraid to drive my DD the way I drove the cars at the Skip Barber school. I just don't see the old Maxima standing up to that kind of punishment.
Welcome! I'm the 2k2 Maxima guy Samir was talking about. You will not find a single 2k2 Maxima that has been driven as hard as I have driven mine. And yes, it is my daily driver. You would be surprised at how strong that VQ engine is our cars have.

How about this, I will even offer my car to you to be co-driven at some TAC or TVR event this year. You pay your way in, I'll provide the platform. I'd prefer one of the Milton Frank Stadium events (for the race surface) since I am on full R compound Hankook slicks. Check out http://teamtac.org for the local (Huntsville) autocrossing schedule. I think they are getting close to finalizing it for this year.

So, what all have you done to your Maxima? Here is an old, but mostly up to date page for my car. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/301377/2002-nissan-maxima

Also here is my yutube channel with some of my race videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ElonHayes
6spd_Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st   #13
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd_Hayes View Post
I'd prefer one of the Milton Frank Stadium events (for the race surface)...
There won't be any MF events this year.
Old January 21st   #14
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes
is happy to be on US soil

Send a message via AIM to 6spd_Hayes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
There won't be any MF events this year.
Well, that's going to put a damper on my autocrossing in HSV.
6spd_Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st   #15
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd_Hayes View Post
Well, that's going to put a damper on my autocrossing in HSV.
Yep. I think it will seriously hurt the autocross program this year in Huntsville.
Old January 25th   #16
jastew
jastew
has no status.

Thanks, 6spd, I may take you up on that offer. Cool name, by the way.

I'm not concerned about the engine, I'm just not sure my ratty suspension and stock tires/brakes can handle the stress. I've not done anything to it at all - completely stock. I never even considered using it for autocross until I heard about you and yours.

You have stimulated my imagination, though. I'm nearing needing a newer car. Once I do that, I can keep the Maxima and use it for my play car.

Why no more events at Milton Frank?
Old January 25th   #17
ray
ray

Quote:
Why no more events at Milton Frank?
They are tearing up the parking lot and redoing some things from my understanding
Old January 25th   #18
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Usually the best cars to start in are bone stock or near stock econoboxes. Civics, maximas, saturns, etc. Anything that produces a decent amount of power and usually manual trans is better.

Last edited by Tanro; January 25th at 12:53 PM.
Tanro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th   #19
jastew
jastew
has no status.

Yeah, another issue - auto trans.
Old January 25th   #20
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Yeah, another issue - auto trans.
Don't let that stop you. I've autocrossed my Altima and it has an automatic. In fact, all my cars have an automatic, lol. I finished 3rd in my class once and have a nice trophy from that day.

Most courses are a 2nd gear course anyways, so the advantage of being able to shift to higher/lower gears is negligible. It's going to be much, much more important that your suspension bushings are not worn and that your shocks/struts are in proper order. Even tires come second to the suspension imo.