Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old January 25th   #1
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police

Extensive, two-year study finds red-light cameras donít decrease accidents

http://nosilencehere.com/?p=155

Quote:
In fact, the analysis of more than 2,500 wrecks in the two years after the cameras appeared shows that injury wrecks, rear-end wrecks and overall wrecks all increased. Only right-angle crashes ó the ones most likely due to red-light running ó decreased.
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th   #2
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Generally people that are paying attention to all the retarded road signs, cameras, and anything else that might make them pay money to the government are paying less attention to what else is going on around them.

I recall reading about some european townships getting rid of all the but the basic stop signs / stop lights and having a decrease in wrecks. People payed more attention to the roads, other vehicles, and pedestrians because they didnt have as much crap distracting them. And drove safer overall because of it.

I myself don't slow down in a residential area because the speed limit tells me to. I slow down because there are more houses, pets, pedestrians, children, cyclists, and vehicles that could pull out at any time. I do it for my own safety first, and those around me second. Not because some arbitrary speed sign says 25 mph.
Tanro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th   #3
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

It's interesting how injury wrecks increased while right-angle wrecks, which have the most potential for injury, decreased.

You bring up a good point about situational awareness. I think intra-car distractions have also increased with the number of gadgets in a car. With the GPS, I think people have started paying more attention to what it says than the actual roads sometimes.
Old January 25th   #4
ray
ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
You bring up a good point about situational awareness. I think intra-car distractions have also increased with the number of gadgets in a car. With the GPS, I think people have started paying more attention to what it says than the actual roads sometimes.
Yup.

Dumb:
I can't find the article but a motorist actually died after driving off road (cliff, not actually a road, etc) because they were following Google Maps' directions.

and Dumber:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...-into-traffic/
Old January 25th   #5
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

I've used nothing but Google maps on my Treo 650 to navigate all the way from California to here, while exploring Route 66. Great product, but like everything it has to be used correctly. The opening screen on the product state, 'do not sure while driving'.
Old January 26th   #6
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Yeah I will use a gps or google maps. But not whilst driving. I may glance at the gps, but I look over the route before I go somewhere new just to make sure I have an idea of when/where to turn.
Tanro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th   #7
duh09
duh09
needs parts for all of my cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayman View Post
Yup.

Dumb:
I can't find the article but a motorist actually died after driving off road (cliff, not actually a road, etc) because they were following Google Maps' directions.

and Dumber:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...-into-traffic/
People like the woman suing over the walking directions are flat out idiots. It's bad enough they had to make a basically talking map but then she (along with others apparently) felt they had enough to sue Google. It'd be like if I sued anyone who made a hammer because I missed and hit my finger and really, there should be a warning in plain sight so I can read it before I swing and now what I'm risking.
duh09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th   #8
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

A lot of times the legal arena doesn't make sense. I'm dealing with a bit of that now, the equivalent being a person getting off without a speeding ticket for saying "I didn't know what the limit was."
Old January 27th   #9
ray
ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
A lot of times the legal arena doesn't make sense. I'm dealing with a bit of that now, the equivalent being a person getting off without a speeding ticket for saying "I didn't know what the limit was."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyYDt99f1Gk

Similar instance of "I'm sorry....I didn't know I couldn't do that..."
Old January 27th   #10
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayman View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyYDt99f1Gk

Similar instance of "I'm sorry....I didn't know I couldn't do that..."
Ummm...that link is clearly not work safe, so don't click it until you get home.