Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old February 9th   #1
protek
protek
is now a GTI owner.

Send a message via AIM to protek Send a message via Skype™ to protek
Screwed over by dealership, need advice.

Hello everyone,

A lot of you tried to help me in a previous thread find a nice new car for me, when a user here came across the WRX I was thrilled, I've always wanted one and knew right then that was going to be my next car, so I went and looked at it and picked it up the next day at the dealership, the carfax was great, one owner, low mileage, the whole works for a great used car, but as of today I found out I was pretty much ripped off the $8400 I paid for it. I'll explain why and how you probably shouldn't do business with this dealer.
http://affordableusedcarsandtrucks.com/

The other night I took it out for a drive and It started smoking terrible, was coming from the hood and under the front, right wheel and was making an awful noise, and I noticed it was leaking oil, pretty bad, also when I parked it there was a terrible raw gas smell. So this morning I took it up to Space Age, a local shop here that does pretty good work to see what the problem was. The guy ended up admitting he didn't know anything about Subaru's and it looked like it was just a bad oil filter. So, I figured with the 3 month warranty this dealership gave me, I'll just call Subaru and have them go over the car, repair what was needed and I would pay my $100 deductible and go on my way. I was very wrong.

So, I gave the service department a call and told them the problems I was having, gave them my VIN number and had them look up service history and any other prior issues with the car. So, The service rep told me that the car was sold wholesale to a local dealership and it was a junker. The dealership I bought it from told me it was a local trade in and that the car was in great condition, when in fact there was so much work ($8000+) they sold it wholesale. The issues include: needs new fuel line, rear end needs rebuilt, blown head gasket, oil leaks, and lots more.

So, long story short, dealer I bought from totally lied to me about it being a trade in and needs over $8000 worth of work to get running smoothly again.

What can I do in this situation to get this done right?

Last edited by protek; February 9th at 02:36 PM.
protek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th   #2
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police

Did you do a carfax and have a mechanic inspect it before you bought it?

If you have a 3 month warranty, it's probably a 3rd party warranty, but everything should be covered, at least the engine should be (unless you mean 3 months on the factory warranty, in which case it should still be covered).

Last edited by dragginbody87; February 9th at 02:44 PM.
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th   #3
protek
protek
is now a GTI owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragginbody87 View Post
Did you do a carfax and have a mechanic inspect it before you bought it?

If you have a 3 month warranty, it's probably a 3rd party warranty, but everything should be covered, at least the engine should be (unless you mean 3 months on the factory warranty, in which case it should still be covered).
I did have a carfax and it was clean, so i'm guessing any maintenance (if any at all) that was done was not reported.

It's a 3rd party warranty though Alpha. It's a 3 month limited power train warranty, but it only covers up to $3000 per year for fixes, meaning $5000 more out of my pocket for more work.

Is there not some sort of laws in place saying they can't feed me BS lies to sell the car like they did?
Old February 9th   #4
dmcmahan12
dmcmahan12
Nissan power now!!!

Now I feel like doo doo for finding that car. You might have to get a lawyer involved. Have you tried talking to the people you bought it from and see if they will even help? I am sorry about your bad experience and don't know what else to tell you.
dmcmahan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th   #5
sohcanddohc
sohcanddohc
Another day another set of rims!

Ouch! If its a REAL warranty the Motor/Drivetrain should be covered, but If it has ANY aftermarket parts on it get them off first and fast! If the "in house machanic" is going to look at it then demand your money back. At this point you ONLY want Subaru to do the work. Stand your ground its going to get a little rough.

How long have you had it? How many miles have you put on it?
2004 Chevy Venture

Last edited by sohcanddohc; February 9th at 02:57 PM.
sohcanddohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th   #6
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by protek View Post
Is there not some sort of laws in place saying they can't feed me BS lies to sell the car like they did?
I'm not a lawyer, but it could go either way depending on how the car was represented, if you signed papers saying you agreed to buy it as-is, etc. The dealer can say they were simply going by what they knew and their mechanic didn't catch all that stuff. Burden of proof is on you the accuser.
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th   #7
dmcmahan12
dmcmahan12
Nissan power now!!!

He does not have the factory warranty anymore. It is a 2003 WRX with 100,xxx plus miles on it. The used car dealership he bought it from should have some type of grace period from the date of purchase. Don't know and wish I could help more.
Old February 9th   #8
protek
protek
is now a GTI owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan12 View Post
Now I feel like doo doo for finding that car. You might have to get a lawyer involved. Have you tried talking to the people you bought it from and see if they will even help? I am sorry about your bad experience and don't know what else to tell you.
Really, it's fine. Don't feel bad about it. I haven't talked to them yet because I just now found out about this about an hour ago, I'm a bit worried to call them because they could always change around paperwork, etc etc to make it seems like I knew about the issues already, if they sold me the car like that what is to stop them from breaking the law further? My parents do want to get a lawyer, but they also think that it would take months, or years to even get a case out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohcanddohc View Post
Ouch! If its a REAL warranty the Motor/Drivetrain should be covered, but If it has ANY aftermarket parts on it get them off first and fast! If the "in house machanic" is going to look at it then demand your money back. At this point you ONLY want Subaru to do the work. Stand your ground its going to get a little rough.

How long have you had it? How many miles have you put on it?
Luckily it has no aftermarket parts on it. I'm worried about Subaru even doing the work, I know they will fix everything that is covered of course, but if it has this many issues, that means more are bound to happen. I've had it for about 2 weeks and maybe put around 50 miles on it.
Old February 9th   #9
Wilson!
Wilson!
is wishing he was in a kayak on the river...

if you bought the car as is, and have had it for 2 weeks, unfortunately, it's yours.

i am the tech that checked it out and told them to wholesale the car. the car isn't a lemon by any means, it just NEVER had the services done. the car is a local car, and the previous owner never wanted anything more than the oil changed and what ever was falling off fixed. i would get you a copy of the original estimate, but all internal repair orders are stored off site once they are closed.
i don't remember the head gaskets having any leaks, the valve cover gaskets are leaking heavily, and i don't remember it having a problem with the rear diff, just a wheel bearing. the car can be repaired, but yes, it's going to take a couple thousand dollars to do so. most of the things wrong with the car are high labor items, this is why it was traded and not repaired to begin with.

Last edited by Wilson!; February 9th at 03:27 PM.
Wilson! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th   #10
Wilson!
Wilson!

make an appointment at the dealership, and bring the car and warranty info in, and ask for Jesse (me) to work on the car . we can check and see if we can do the work and get your warranty to pay for what ever is covered. if i remember correctly, we can get most, if not everything fixed for under $3000, and have you in a decent little car.

Last edited by Wilson!; February 9th at 03:35 PM.
Wilson! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th   #11
protek
protek
is now a GTI owner.

I made an appointment for Thursday, hopefully the warranty will cover it 100%

Thanks for the info, i'll be sure to ask for you Thursday. Hope this all works out.

I'm still pissed at that dealer for lying to me and telling me it was traded in there, no problems, etc etc, I figured they would know about all that, and i'm sure they did.
Old February 9th   #12
dmcmahan12
dmcmahan12
Nissan power now!!!

Jesse is good people and you can trust him to do it right.
Old February 9th   #13
Smyly@TFR
Smyly@TFR
Professional Detailer
Huntsville Car Scene Site Sponsor

Good luck on getting this sorted out! Thats sad that it happened so soon after you purchased the car. I would wish this on no man and his car.

Last edited by Smyly@TFR; February 9th at 06:10 PM.
Smyly@TFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th   #14
BamaMopars
BamaMopars
Mopar or No car!

Carfax does always work. I wrecked my mustang 5 times and it never came up on carfax. I dont like carfax myself.
BamaMopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th   #15
cletusberontwood
cletusberontwood
has no status.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson! View Post
make an appointment at the dealership, and bring the car and warranty info in, and ask for Jesse (me) to work on the car . we can check and see if we can do the work and get your warranty to pay for what ever is covered. if i remember correctly, we can get most, if not everything fixed for under $3000, and have you in a decent little car.
Dude - you are the man. Very nice to see THE mechanic stepping in - big thumbs up from a bystander. Awesome.
cletusberontwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th   #16
Wilson!
Wilson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletusberontwood View Post
Dude - you are the man. Very nice to see THE mechanic stepping in - big thumbs up from a bystander. Awesome.
There are still a few people in the buisness that are in for more than just the money. There are a couple people here that will tell you i am one of the ahmd full of people around here that actually enjoy working on the car line that they work on. Thanks for the comment!
Old February 9th   #17
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

atleast you know some prior history with the car. Also having the mechanic(wilson) that is familiar with the car is such a bonus. Its one thing to drop the car off at a dealer, its another to drop it off with a dealer you feel comfortable with.

Thumbs up
Old February 9th   #18
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Buying a used car in this area is EXTREMELY dangerous at times. The hard part is finding out the true history of the car. Individuals typically lie less, but independent dealerships can be terrible. I've seen these dealerships want to buy a radiator and condenser that would only work for long enough to get the car sold, and that's it. And unfortunately, there's a lot of them along with dealers posing as individuals.
Quote:
I haven't talked to them yet because I just now found out about this about an hour ago, I'm a bit worried to call them because they could always change around paperwork, etc etc to make it seems like I knew about the issues already, if they sold me the car like that what is to stop them from breaking the law further?
You should have a copy of all the paperwork, so read all the fine print and see what they can and can't do. Then just pop in with all the paperwork and see what their attitude is. Go in with a positive attitude and see if they respond with the same.

Legal actions should be your last recourse as it can take years to get your money back. But there are attorneys that will take on these cases on contingency if there's enough money involved and a sure chance to win.

Quote:
I'm worried about Subaru even doing the work, I know they will fix everything that is covered of course, but if it has this many issues, that means more are bound to happen. I've had it for about 2 weeks and maybe put around 50 miles on it.
Japanese cars work for a very long time with proper maintenance. If it's never had anything but the oil changed and didn't get any tlc from the previous owner, a good head-to-toe should last at least 30k miles if not more. Sure, there's going to be some damage and wear that can't be repaired, but I'm sure the will still last as long as nothing major is worn.
Quote:
if you bought the car as is, and have had it for 2 weeks, unfortunately, it's yours.

i am the tech that checked it out and told them to wholesale the car. the car isn't a lemon by any means, it just NEVER had the services done. the car is a local car, and the previous owner never wanted anything more than the oil changed and what ever was falling off fixed. i would get you a copy of the original estimate, but all internal repair orders are stored off site once they are closed.
i don't remember the head gaskets having any leaks, the valve cover gaskets are leaking heavily, and i don't remember it having a problem with the rear diff, just a wheel bearing. the car can be repaired, but yes, it's going to take a couple thousand dollars to do so. most of the things wrong with the car are high labor items, this is why it was traded and not repaired to begin with.
Quote:
Jesse, thank you for stepping up and posting here. This is above and beyond what anyone would ordinarily do, and is one of the most commendable acts of kindness I've ever seen here on HCS. You definitely love cars, and it shows.
Quote:
I'm still pissed at that dealer for lying to me and telling me it was traded in there, no problems, etc etc, I figured they would know about all that, and i'm sure they did.
The power of the Internet is strong. The search engines will pick this up quickly. But unfortunately, not too many people search a car dealership before visiting one. Another option is the Better Business Bureau. They keep complaints visible online for others to find.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaMopars View Post
Carfax does always work. I wrecked my mustang 5 times and it never came up on carfax. I dont like carfax myself.
Do you mean doesn't?
Quote:
There are still a few people in the buisness that are in for more than just the money. There are a couple people here that will tell you i am one of the ahmd full of people around here that actually enjoy working on the car line that they work on. Thanks for the comment!
And I'm very glad there are people like you still around.
Old February 14th   #19
protek
protek
is now a GTI owner.

Ended up getting to drop the car off this morning, will know more about it tomorrow.
Old February 15th   #20
protek
protek
is now a GTI owner.

Well, as far as I know the WRX will be back in the hands of the dealer who sold it to me tomorrow. The warranty would not cover anything but a new water pump. The dealer is the most unprofessional person I have ever dealt with in my life, cussing us out and making threats against me and my family when we went in this morning to talk to him about it. I can't believe somebody would run a business that way.

Looks like it's back on the car search.