Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Local Group Forums > North Alabama Nissan Owners

North Alabama Nissan Owners A dedicated forum for the Nissan Owners in North Alabama

Old February 22nd   #1
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes
is happy to be on US soil

Send a message via AIM to 6spd_Hayes
UpRev Cipher : For modified Nissan/Infiniti Vehicles

This is a rehash of a post I did on hsvracing a couple of years ago, but this audience is more focused:

If you have a 2002-2008 Nissan or Infiniti vehicle, and are interested in having your 2 degree timing advance, or if you would like to have your idle RPM modified, I have a computer program by Uprev.

http://uprev.com/

The product is called Cipher. I have used it on my 2002 Maxima to do the "2 degree timing advance" mod as well as adjusting my idle RPM. I have done the '2 degree timing advance' or adjusting the idle RPM on approximately 15 Maximas, 6 Sentra Spec Vs, and a handful of G35s. I will hook my laptop up to the OBDii port on your car.

So, if you have questions regarding this service, please reply below.

The dealership (if you can talk them into doing it) will charge $40 to $60 for doing this. I am only charging $10.

This will work on Maxima/I35, Altima, 350Z/G35, Frontier, Armada/QX56, Titan, Sentra, M35/45, etc.
6spd_Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd   #2
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes

From their website:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cipher Data & Diagnostics
Our popular data logging and diagnostic tool for today’s Nissan and Infiniti vehicles. Cipher allows you to connect your USB equipped Windows PC directly to your vehicle and communicate with on-board systems such as the ECU.

With Cipher, you can log various sensors/parameters and retrieve DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) so you can see how your vehicle is running and see what needs to be repaired or adjusted. Data that is retrieved with Cipher can be viewed in real time or saved to a file for later viewing or comparison. Cipher’s .csv files can be viewed through Cipher’s built-in graphical display or through many spreadsheet programs.

Cipher communicates using Nissan’s proprietary communication protocol which enables you to view data with more speed than generic OBDII scan tools giving the user better insight into how the vehicle is running. Sample rates of 20 times per second can be achieved on more than 15 sensors at a time.

Simple ECU and BCM Control
Cipher also provides the user with basic dealership work support routines for the ECU and BCM including:

Target Idle RPM +/- 2 degree static timing adjustment Cylinder power testing Clear Learned Fuel settings Manual control of BCM functions, ie. Windows UP/Down, Activate Locks, Wipers, Lamps, etc. Fuel Pressure purge Ethanol Adjustments (if vehicle is equipped) Coolant Test Supported Parameters:
Below is a short list of available data parameters...

Engine Speed - RPM Throttle Position Sensor Vehicle Speed MAF Sensor Calculated Load Value Oxygen Sensor Ignition Timing Accelerator Position Wide Band A/F Voltage (equipped vehicles) Coolant Temperature
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old February 22nd   #3
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes

I will post a couple of the screen shots from the software.

CIPHER™ - Diagnostic & Data System

This is a shot of my laptop once I have connected their cable to the USB port and to the OBD-II port. Notice the lower right states the serial number of the connected cable. Once you click the button “CONNECT TO VEHICLE” on the left column, Cipher will connect to your ECU (later years, Cipher will also connect to your ABS and BCM computer). You will then get a feedback box as seen below:

The screen shot below will be the different tools available to the user.

Retrieve and Clear Trouble Codes

Cipher will detect any DTC codes. For newer years (+04), you will have access to the ABS and BCM codes. Below is the screen you will see (once connected). The system first detects the codes, puts them on the screen, then gives you the ability to clear the codes. As you see below, I had codes P0455 & P1448 (for a gross leak in the EVAP system, i.e. gas cap off) and P1147 & P1167 (secondary O2 Sensor problems). You also see where you can clear the codes and retrieve any more codes. An all clear of “No Codes Found” appears.

Clear Learned Fuel Settings

From the Factory Service Manual, “The mixture ratio feedback control system monitors the mixture ratio signal transmitted from the heated oxygen sensor 1. This feedback signal is then sent to the ECM. The ECM controls the basic mixture ratio as close to the theoretical mixture ratio as possible. However, the basic mixture ratio is not necessarily controlled as originally designed. Both manufacturing differences (i.e., mass air flow sensor hot wire) and characteristic changes during operation (i.e., injector clogging) directly affect mixture ratio. Accordingly, the difference between the basic and theoretical mixture ratios is monitored in this system. This is then computed in terms of “injection pulse duration” to automatically compensate for the difference between the two ratios. “Fuel trim” refers to the feedback compensation value compared against the basic injection duration. Fuel trim includes short term fuel trim and long term fuel trim. “Short term fuel trim” is the short-term fuel compensation used to maintain the mixture ratio at its theoretical value. The signal from the heated oxygen sensor 1 indicates whether the mixture ratio is RICH or LEAN compared to the theoretical value. The signal then triggers a reduction in fuel volume if the mixture ratio is rich, and an increase in fuel volume if it is lean. “Long term fuel trim” is overall fuel compensation carried out long-term to compensate for continual deviation of the short term fuel trim from the central value. Such deviation will occur due to individual engine differences, wear over time and changes in the usage environment.”

With the Clear Learned Fueling tool, “the actual mixture ratio can be ‘reset’ to the theoretical mixture ratio based on the mixture ratio feedback signal from the heated oxygen sensors 1. The ECM calculates the necessary compensation to correct the offset between the actual and the theoretical ratios.”

Monitor and Record ECU Parameters

Cipher gives the user the ability to monitor and record up to 20 ECU Parameters simultaneously. Some parameters update faster than others. It also gives the user the ability to do some Performance logging (based on the vehicle speed sensor). Below is a list of parameters on a 2002 Maxima.

Here is a picture of the monitoring screen. With each parameter, you have the choice of a graphical or digital readout. At the bottom you will notice the button to start and stop data logging. Once you finish your data logging, you will need to go to the Log List (where the data will be listed) and save it on your computer.

Adjust Target Ignition Timing

Cipher gives you the ability to adjust the Target Ignition Timing +/- 2 degrees(i.e. Timing Advance you can do yourself). It does a check to make sure you vehicle is up to correct operating temperature. When that is reached, it will allow you to check, change and save your timing changes.

Adjust Target Idle RPM

Cipher gives you the ability to adjust the Target Idle RPM up to 250 RPM. Similar to the Timing Adjustment, it does a check to make sure you vehicle is up to correct operating temperature. When that is reached, it will allow you to check, change and save your Idle RPM changes.

Last edited by 6spd_Hayes; February 22nd at 02:17 PM.
Old February 22nd   #4
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes

CIPHER™ - Diagnostic & Data System

Fuel Pressure Release Tool

In the newest release (v 1.03), Cipher gives you the ability to disable the fuel pump to purge the fuel system to prevent any spray when servicing under-hood parts (such as removing lower intake manifold, changing injectors, etc).

Cylinder Power Test Tool

In the newest release (v 1.03), Cipher gives you the ability to turn individual cylinders on and off as needed to provide troubleshooting capability. Pertinent data is shown behind the test in the Live Data View. (The reason you see 8 cylinders is because Cipher also works on V8 Titans also).

Fuel Injection Test Tool

In the newest release (v 1.03), Cipher has added a Fuel Injection test. It gives the user the ability to add or subtract up to 25% fuel that is injected by the ECU. This is only a temporary change; it goes back to normal when exiting the test. Pertinent data is shown behind the test in the Live Data View.

Coolant Test Tool

In the newest release (v 1.03), Cipher has added a Coolant Test Tool. It gives the user the ability change the coolant reading (from -30 degrees C to 110 degrees C) that the ECU sees and bases its calculations on. This is only a temporary change; it goes back to normal when exiting the test. Pertinent data is shown behind the test in the Live Data View.

Old February 22nd   #5
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes

I am also toying with the idea of 'renting' out the Cipher DDS if you are interested in doing some in depth data logging either on a dyno or at the track. The software is downloadable from the internet from the UpRev website. All you will need is my cable.

As far as what benefit I saw from my 2 degree timing advance, below is my dyno graph of the increase I saw (with the mods I had at the time).

For instance, I used the Cipher DDS to diagnose what amount of air I was seeing across my hotwire MAF sensor when I went from a 72mm MAF housing to a 76.2mm MAF housing.

Old February 22nd   #6
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

So about 3whp and 2.5 wtq? That's not bad at all for $10. This I will get with you about for my Z personally. And just to see what all might be going on under the hood.

Is this the full tuning kit for guys with full exhaust, intakes, plenum spacers etc.? I've only heard great things about UpRev!

Common sense isn't a common virtue.

Link to the Nissan/Infiniti group page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154828527932506/
1 BAD Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd   #7
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

Seems like a kit for the Mustangs. Once one person buys a plug and play tuning unit, he can share with all his friends for a small fee. Way better then Hondata or others for Honda makes.

Old February 23rd   #8
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes

I was an original beta tester for them on Cipher of the Maxima guys. Yes, they have a product called Osiris. (Unfortunately, my car is simply too old to take advantage of this system)

Osiris Engine Management
Our PC based reflash system allowing the user to flash their ECU with customized tuning. Osiris comes in three varieties to fit anyone's need.

Osiris Flash Service - our mail-in service for our customers that wish to send their ECU to us for a one time recalibration.

Osiris Standard - Our PC based reflash system allowing the user to flash their ECU with customized tuning provided by UpRev or an UpRev Pro Tuner. Osiris Standard includes Cipher and comes with three eTune updates providing custom tuning for your vehicle.

Osiris Tuner - For the do it yourself types who are familiar and capable of tuning their own vehicles or the enthusiast looking for a better alternative to Stand-Alone ECU and Piggyback systems.
Old February 23rd   #9
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

So I'm guessing you work for Cipher?

That would be awesome as guys do more to their cars performance wise. Have someone who can do basic tunes on them.

Old February 23rd   #10
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 BAD Z View Post
So I'm guessing you work for Cipher?

That would be awesome as guys do more to their cars performance wise. Have someone who can do basic tunes on them.
Nah, I do not work for UpRev (they cannot afford my rates).

TrackMasters (here in town) is actually a certified tuner for UpRev.
Old February 23rd   #11
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

Yeah I heard about Arthur doing that now. He is pretty expensive though lol

Old February 23rd   #12
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes

But getting dyno tuned is worth it. Plus Arthur is a real good guy and I like to support our local vendors. I bet my car has had 40 dyno runs on his Dynojet.
Old February 24th   #13
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

Lol don't worry about me supporting Arthur. I sure have done that over the years lol

Old February 29th   #14
BamaCoupe
BamaCoupe
has no status.

Is it worth it for someone that has no performance mods; also would it be a problem for someone with a CVT? 08 Altima Coupe BTW.
BamaCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote