Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old March 9th   #1
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police

Bad Karma: Our Fisker Karma plug-in hybrid breaks down

Quote:
We buy about 80 cars a year and this is the first time in memory that we have had a car that is undriveable before it has finished our check-in process.

We encountered other problems with a Karma press car that visited the track for a few hours, and we have heard of problems at press events. In addition, we see that some owners are experiencing a variety of issues, as evidenced by forums such as FiskerBuzz.com.

When we get the car back, we’ll film a First Drive video with our more traditional initial impressions. But so far, Fisker ownership is proving to be a bumpy ride.
http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...eaks-down.html
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th   #2
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

This is to be expected............this is totally new technology. It's like when a new cell phone comes out, it's going to have issues.

I like technology but I'm a second generation kinda guy, I want something that's proven it will work. I expect to continue to see issues with these cars as well as Tesla.
Old March 9th   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

The owner has some firsthand experience on this car and it's quirks. I can't wait to find time to sit down with him and do a full review on the car.
Old March 9th   #4
Smyly@TFR
Smyly@TFR
Professional Detailer
Huntsville Car Scene Site Sponsor

I have to hand it to Fisker for Pioneering a new car market. This is something that is going to set the way for the future when fossil fuel supply's shrink and market demand will shift to other alternatives like Fisker is trying to provide. Like EvilZ stated new technology is going to have its quirks. I just hope that good ole gasoline is still around while im still around I dont think I could ever switch to an electric or green car.
Old March 19th   #5
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/19/c...ntent=FaceBook

Quote:
You can buy a bunch of information for $107,000.

Consumer Reports is learning all sorts of things about the Fisker Karma now that it has purchased one for testing, only to have it die with less than 200 miles on the odometer. After 48 hours in the dealer's repair shop – under warranty – the car is back in the CR fleet and is starting to get put through its paces.

With that public breakdown making waves, CR discovered that lots of Karma owners have been reporting their own issues with their new and expensive plug-in hybrids. Things like needing a new differential after less than 1,000 miles, a car shutting itself off at 35 mph and lots of trouble with the shifter. Most of these reports were put up by owners on FiskerBuzz. Of course, before CR got its Karma, the company issued two recalls, one for a software glitch and another for battery issues.

So, with all the problems, how does CR like the Karma on the track? The design is "simply stunning," it says, but the range-extending gasoline engine is loud when the 22-kWh battery is depleted. And the Fisker's SUV-like 5,395-pound weight doesn't help with handling. On the inside, CR says the touchscreen is also less than ideal, with a grayscale look and plenty of menu flipping that "makes MyFord Touch look like a brilliant design." Ouch.

Then there's this:

Quote:
Just this weekend, for example, the speedometer and energy meter display disappeared when driving, on top of having several other rogue warning indicators appear last week. It is expected we'll be revisiting the dealership soon. We've had cars in the past that have been troublesome, but never anything like this.
http://youtu.be/osI2e0sSDA0

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th   #6
dr1ft@gious
dr1ft@gious
needs money for bilstein sports.

Dont we have to thank Obama for this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyly@TFR View Post
I dont think I could ever switch to an electric or green car.
what about hydrogen?
dr1ft@gious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

There's a lot that goes into manufacturing a car that's a completely new design using technology that's never been in a production environment. What's even harder is doing that and forming the company at the same time. These are the growing pains. But I think the end result is worth it. I need to find enough time to get with the owner of the signature edition and Century so I can put one through my own tests.