Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old May 4th   #1
BigTyla
BigTyla
has no status.

LKQ pick-a-part review

Thought I'd make a post about the LKQ in Huntsville as a few people have been inquiring about their services. VR4Rob and I went there yesterday to get a cylinder head for my Talon and we had a good experience there. The guy working the desk was very friendly. Their yard is very well-kept and organized, with domestics on one side and imports on another and plenty of working space between each car. Their prices for different parts are posted on a board located at the entrance to the yard so you know what you'll be paying before you decide to pull the part.

Some key notes:
1) They are open until 6 PM on weekdays (not sure of their weekend hours) and are VERY strict about closing time. Their systems will shut down a few minutes after 6 so if you don't get to the counter in time you'll have to wait until the next day to take your stuff out.
2) Make sure you bring plenty of tools and know what you'll need ahead of time. You can't bring jacks, torches, etc. I recommend getting a sizeable tool bag to bring with you. Organize your stuff and you'll save a lot of time. I highly recommend bringing shears, a rubber mallet, a torque wrench, and a pickle bar no matter what you're planning on pulling as some of these cars are in rough shape and/or have been sitting for a long time. I had all but the pickle bar, and when it came time to take the head bolts out they were extremely overtorqued and not even my torque wrench would work! We ended up using a hacked-off exhaust pipe from an adjacent vehicle as a makeshift pickle bar.
3) LKQ provides wheelbarrows to tote your parts with. Use them.
4) LKQ takes cash and cards. They charge a $2 entry fee per person and require you to sign a waiver.
BigTyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th   #2
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

If the huntsville one is like the the Savannah GA one, if you need a part under the car, you need not worry about a jack, all the vehicles are elevated. Usually on spares or steelies.

My biggest question, are all the dsms in the imports? Or are the Talons/Lasers in the domestic section, and eclipses in the imports? That allways cracks me up, one of the yards around here flat out won't take imports, but you can find Conquests, Stealths, Talons, and Lasers on it. Those people are just dumb hicks.

Last edited by Tanro; May 4th at 02:38 PM.
Tanro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th   #3
Eagle Freek
Eagle Freek
has no status.

Huntsville desperately needed a real salvage yard. I got sick of going to the mud holes with cars piled on top of each other. I was spoiled with the yards we had when I lived in south FL and the Denver area. I've been there a few times. You won't find later model stuff there too often since they demand more money at the auctions. Besides not having any inventory system, if you need a vehicle moved so that you can get to a component, they don't allow the fork lifts to be in the yard during business hours. You would have to make the request for them to take care of it the following morning before they open. Otherwise, a great place. I scored 5 practically brand new all terrain tires for $140.
Eagle Freek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th   #4
dr1ft@gious
dr1ft@gious
needs money for bilstein sports.

YES! im glad this worked out well and ye'll had a great visit!
but if they dont allow jacks, how am i suppose to get my springs? I dont have a spring compressor that'll work correctly with it so i just drop the control arm.
dr1ft@gious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th   #5
Eagle Freek
Eagle Freek
has no status.

I've been to many junkyards and haven't been to one that allows jacks in the yard. I've always wondered how guys get suspension related parts without a jack. Maybe some heavy duty ratchet straps? It would be a little sketchy, but may work.
Eagle Freek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th   #6
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

I've only been to a few that don't allow whatever you want to bring in far as tools go.
Tanro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th   #7
BigTyla
BigTyla
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1ft@gious View Post
YES! im glad this worked out well and ye'll had a great visit!
but if they dont allow jacks, how am i suppose to get my springs? I dont have a spring compressor that'll work correctly with it so i just drop the control arm.
I'm not sure. I ran into a similar issue with pulling my cylinder head. It requires removing one of the motor mounts which requires jacking the motor up to release weight on the mount. We improvised a bit with some good 'ole muscle and a rubber mallet.
BigTyla is offline   Reply With Quote