Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Show and Shine

Show and Shine Post pictures, videos, and other stuff to look at

Old May 16th   #1
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
This car gets up to 74mpg...

... and makes 770hp.

http://jalopnik.com/5910752/770-hp-7...-that-can-kill

Quote:
Releasing these new photos of the Porsche 918 Spyder, the company has announced some exciting development news: with the aid of its electric motors, the plug-in hybrid prototype is currently developing 770 HP and returning up to 74 MPG. Also, ummm...I messed my pants.

A possible return to greatness for the once-innovative and most German of all supercar manufacturers, the 918 Spyder is neither a facelifted 911 nor an SUV. Instead, it very much looks like the future of the performance automobile. Massive performance is combined with lightweight materials, low emissions and the kind of fuel economy that'd make the average Prius driver convulse in envy.

Allegedly, the car in these photos is wearing "camouflage," but calling this 917-inspired paint scheme "camo" is like saying Demi Moore is wearing "clothes" in this famous Vanity Fair cover. Does anyone have any Kleenex?

Not only will corduroy-wearing Berkeley professors be able to plug the 918 into their wind generators, but enthusiasts will appreciate a sea change in automotive thinking. Instead of making the 918 as absolutely heavy as possible, Porsche has instead employed a plastic-reinforced carbon fiber monocoque chassis, active aerodynamics and even upward venting exhaust pipes, all in the name of actual performance. Hooray 918 Spyder.

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th   #2
///Mpowered
///Mpowered
has no status.

I was reading about this car the other day. Sounds amazing for sure. The only thing that was a bit disappointing was the reported sub-200mph top speed, considering the Carrera gt is 200+ and the 997 turbo rings in at ~194. But really its a minor bragging complaint seeing as how often are you going to hit that point in the car other than runs with your friends in their veyrons on some random deserted roads in mexico late at night that may or may not appear on youtube.
///Mpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th   #3
gorkoracing
gorkoracing
soon....

Send a message via AIM to gorkoracing
That's amazing! Thumbs up to Porsche for this.
gorkoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th   #4
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Sweet Jesus. That car is the first porsche I have ever seen that I not only liked, but would actually own if I had the coin.

The 74mpg is just astounding, the whp is even more so.
Tanro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th   #5
Reckon
Reckon
so...

Wow, interesting.
Old May 21st   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I remember talking to I think it was the regional vice-president of Porsche North America at the Heart of Dixie 50th Anniversary about this. Their real goal with the car was Carrera GT-like performance, but with efficiency to match. And it looks like they did it.

Interestingly enough, Acura has followed their 'engine and motor' design with the concept for the NSX. Has the new platform for sports cars of the future just emerged? I guess we'll know in a couple of years.