Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old June 26th   #1
ray
ray

Local place to turn slotted rotors?

I have some Brembo slotted rotors I took off my Evo and I want to have them turned rather than get rid of them.

Does anyone know of a shop in town who can handle this and not screw something up? Better yet...has anyone actually had a slotted rotor turned by a shop in town? Who did you use?

I just don't want someone like O'Reillys or AutoZone turning a rotor like this (I know some of them will even refuse to) in the event they do destroy one.

Thanks everyone!
Old June 26th   #2
2JZ_is300
2JZ_is300
Needs to go faster!!

ughh dang its a place off southparkway classic car body shop that has meets every month i forgot the name.....
Old June 26th   #3
2JZ_is300
2JZ_is300
Needs to go faster!!

think its called jeffs muffler
Old June 26th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JZ_is300 View Post
ughh dang its a place off southparkway classic car body shop that has meets every month i forgot the name.....
Jeff's Muffler and Brake?
Old June 26th   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

The problem with turning rotors if you don't change the brake pads too is that the pads have grooves in them as well. I usually just run pads and rotors as a matched set until they're well past their replacement spec.
Old June 26th   #6
ray
ray

Are the Baer rotors you have slotted or blanks?
Old June 26th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I've actually got drilled on the Galant, but I've worn those to the bone and then got new ones and pads. I have drilled on my 95 Altima SE, but never had to turn them before the car went out of service. I have drilled on the Porsche and the lip on those rotors is almost 1/8". Those rotors and pads are toast. Hence why the car is parked at the moment.
Old June 27th   #8
ray
ray

I'll check at Jeff's. Anyone else have a shop or machine shop that will turn a slotted rotor?
Old June 27th   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

The only other company that may have even had the request is Van Cleef. I'd call them too.
Old June 27th   #10
Don 79 TA
Don 79 TA
has no status.

wish i had the machine we used at the shop
bolted right up inplace of the calipers and put two discs on them and would run the car and sand'em down nicely, just enough to take the glaze off is what you do, i've seen so many severly cut into them, which is not good

Hunter makes a self propelled kit, but you'll need volume to make up for the cost of that machine

i used to get in trouble using the rotor/drum cutting machine at the shop on cross drilled or slotted rotors
they LOVE to eat those diamond cutting bits up
My boss did not want it used for that cause those suckers are VERY expensive to replace

all i do now is chuck the rotors and replace em
i never really was a fan of cutting rotors/drums/flywheels
might just be personal preference
removing material from critical components is not something that sits easy with me
the only ones i would consider cutting would be on a Honda
they usually have VERY beefie rotors (again enough to take the glaze off)

also a nother easy trick is to put a sanding disk/scuff pad on a drill/air drill and de-glaze the rotor, never had any problems doing that, sometimes on some 4*4's thats your only option without gutting an axel/driveline
Don 79 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th   #11
ray
ray

These actually have a small lip on them so just trying to rough up the surface won't quite work.

I called Jeff's and they don't turn slotted rotors.

Guess I'll take to Van Cleef since I have some other stuff I need to talk with them about as well.
Old June 27th   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

If you're worried about the lip, don't be if there's no heat spots or warpage. My Porsche rotors have a monster lip on them and the only problem is that the pads have worn down or I would've kept running them. I'll just be chunking both pads and rotors for new ones like Don does.
Old June 27th   #13
2JZ_is300
2JZ_is300
Needs to go faster!!

hmm i had a friend get his turned at jeffs about 6 months ago well maybe more i guess they stopped
Old June 27th   #14
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

You can turn slotted rotors just like blanks. Some shops are unaware of this and think it will tear up there lathe lol not the case. I have seen Dale (guys shop I use to work on my car) turn slotted rotors, and he is about as old school heehaw as you get. "They don't mess it up any by it being uneven when the blade cuts the iron, that's what you're doing anyways when you're turning a warped or grooved rotor." I know I didn't help you any lol just think it's funny that some shops won't turn them.
HPEVOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th   #15
b.a.king
b.a.king
old,fat grumpy

i may be wrong here but slotted rotor is not the same thing as "grooved rotor. sounds like ya'll might be talking about 2 different things here. just sayin.
ray are your rotors warped or do you just want to knock the glaze off of them?
b.a.king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th   #16
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a.king View Post
i may be wrong here but slotted rotor is not the same thing as "grooved rotor. sounds like ya'll might be talking about 2 different things here. just sayin.
Sorry if i was unclear. I'm aware of the difference lol. I'm saying you can turn slotted rotors the same as you can plain old jane rotors with no damage to anything. Seen it done before.
Old June 28th   #17
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a.king View Post
I think he is talking about a slotted rotor, but it was a poor choice of words since grooved does mean something too in rotor-speak!
Old June 28th   #18
ray
ray

No they don't appear to be warped and they didn't have any of the normal symptoms of a "warped" rotor before I pulled them off the car.

There is a glaze on them with no burn marks but there is a lip on the edge from use. I have to see if they are within spec but I want someone who can turn them.

From what I've read they can be turned it just takes longer because the cutting bit has to go slower and take off material in smaller amounts. Some shops don't want to take the time and as a result the bit will skip and jump (and possibly break) once it hits the slot.

And Heath, if no one around here can do it do you think I can bring them to you and your friend's shop to have him turn them?
Old June 28th   #19
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray View Post
No they don't appear to be warped and they didn't have any of the normal symptoms of a "warped" rotor before I pulled them off the car.

There is a glaze on them with no burn marks but there is a lip on the edge from use. I have to see if they are within spec but I want someone who can turn them.

From what I've read they can be turned it just takes longer because the cutting bit has to go slower and take off material in smaller amounts. Some shops don't want to take the time and as a result the bit will skip and jump (and possibly break) once it hits the slot.

And Heath, if no one around here can do it do you think I can bring them to you and your friend's shop to have him turn them?
I'll have to ask him. I'm sure he wouldn't mind though. Let me know if you don't find anything local to you.

Tags
brembo, rotor, shave, slot, turn