Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old July 17th   #1
BigTyla
BigTyla
has no status.

Nissan Working on Mini-Z to target FR-S/BRZ

Nissan Working on Mini-Z to target FR-S/BRZ - Motor Trend

Talk about an emotional roller coaster! While reading this, I went from ecstatic,

Quote:
Click to view GalleryOn the heels of Nissan's recent motorsport successes -- a factory-backed GT-R placed first in class at the 24 Hours of Nurburgring and the radical DeltaWing stole the show at the 24 Hours of Le Mans -- comes news that executives have finally given the green light for a compact sports car known in house as the "Mini-Z."
to sad,

Quote:
It's not a new rear-drive Silvia/240SX -- that project was cancelled in late 2008 during the financial crisis. Instead, it's a compact, front-drive-based sports car that will be aimed squarely at the Toyota GT86/Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ.
to happy again,

Quote:
There is also word that there will be an AWD version to go with the base FWD variant, based on the Juke's all-mode 4x4 i-system with torque vectoring.
to even more happiness,

Quote:
Though Nissan didn't reveal the concept's powertrain in Shanghai, we've learned it was fitted with the 190-hp, 1.6-liter turbo-four from the Nissan Juke that also served as base for the engine in the DeltaWing.
to pure ecstacy again!

Quote:
Price-wise, the Nissan is expected to undercut the Toyota and Subaru by as much as 10 percent, carrying a sticker price somewhere below $22,000.
Discuss.
BigTyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th   #2
speedfreek
speedfreek
doesn't think that word means what you think it means.

I just posted this MT article as well.

I will just leave this here.

Nissan
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th   #3
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

front-drive-based sports car

FWD and Sports Car shouldn't be in the same sentence with the exception of FWD cars AREN'T sports cars.........lol.

All jokes aside a 190 hp turbo car for 22k would be a pretty popular car (epically if the AWD model wasn't much more) as long as it's not to bloated.
Old July 17th   #4
gorkoracing
gorkoracing
soon....

Send a message via AIM to gorkoracing
The AWD version sounds promising. should have gone RWD and an AWD setup tho like others have said.
gorkoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th   #5
BigTyla
BigTyla
has no status.

The FWD will be popular with non-enthusiasts that don't know any better. The AWD mode will be where it's at. I'd anticipate a $3000 markup for the AWD model, which would put it right at base model FRS pricing. Forced induction will be the real winner here as enthusiasts will enjoy the extra tunability a forced induction platform offers over the n/a platform of the Toyobaru.
BigTyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th   #6
2SSRSinBama
2SSRSinBama
is stimulating the economy through burned rubber!!!

yeah the fwd version will be $22,000 and the AWD variant will linger around $30,000 because AWD is a very expensive drivetrain

as a matter of fact, when GM built the turbo Cobalt, they had an Evo IX as the car they compared their car to and engineered it around... their idea was to give Evolution like handling for less money... they accomplished that with a fwd platform, however, the 1st thing they threw out? the idea of implementing an AWD chassis from Saab... why? cost, they said the car would be priced out of their target market
Headers(no cats), Catback, CAI, SLP UD Pullies, Ported TB, tune

Last edited by 2SSRSinBama; July 18th at 11:17 PM.
2SSRSinBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th   #7
370Zack
370Zack
has successfully offloaded his Altima.

Watch this thing have a CVT in the AWD version if it comes out. I'm just waiting for the failwagon to be built and sold.

Nissan only wants to build crossovers and fuel efficient cars now. The Z hasn't been primped to keep up with stiff competition in its segment and Ghosn is likely going to kill the GT-R, leaving Nissan devoid of anything exciting whatsoever.
370Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th   #8
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370Zack View Post
Watch this thing have a CVT in the AWD version if it comes out. I'm just waiting for the failwagon to be built and sold.

Nissan only wants to build crossovers and fuel efficient cars now. The Z hasn't been primped to keep up with stiff competition in its segment and Ghosn is likely going to kill the GT-R, leaving Nissan devoid of anything exciting whatsoever.
If they did kill of the GTR they would follow in Toyota and Honda's foot steps (even though honda is bringing the nsx back the damage has already been done in my opinion).
Old August 7th   #9
Wilson!
Wilson!
is wishing he was in a kayak on the river...

a front drive sports car is a oxymororn... so is a AWD sports car... a AWD car is a touring car, not a sports car. automotive definitions have become so watered down and used in places it was never meant to be. IE calling the Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger muscle cars. these car were originally "pony" cars, not muscle cars.

the path Toyota and Honda has taken is sell boring cars to soccer moms and average Joe commuter that looks at his car as an appliance and nothing more.

i read an article a few years ago on how the Camry was killing automotive dreams.
a quick snip...

Quote:
We received some bad news this week. Mazda's rotary engine died again, while the Toyota Camry just keeps on living. Here's why we should care about the rotary engine, and why no one reads magazines about toasters.
link to said article.
http://jalopnik.com/5833892/how-the-...ing-our-dreams