Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old October 12th   #1
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

What Would You Do?

If you heard this right after taking your car in for service?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPWqsaKP9Y8 (Warning: some language.)

From the link:

"When you own a sports car, you inevitably get a little paranoid about how it's treated when in the care of strangers. One South Carolina man was worried enough that when he took his 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS in for service at a Chevy dealer, he hid a voice recorder in the car. He was right to be worried: The recorder caught mechanics doing burnouts and discussing how to make the owner pay for a ruined clutch the car didn't have before coming in. Now the Internet Justice League has taken the wheel.William Clark says he took his Camaro to Best Chevrolet-Kia in Easley, S.C. for a clunking noise in the car's six-speed manual transmission. After a previous visit to a different dealer, his Camaro had died shortly after Clark retrieved it; while he suspected the staff at that dealership of joyriding, he had no proof at the time.

This time, the voice recorder hidden in the door pocket catches employees doing several burnouts and hard launches in the Camaro; Clark later says the techs drove it harder in 20 minutes than he had in three years. Once back in the shop, the mechanics realize the Camaro's clutch has been fried, and come up with a plan to blame the damage on Clark, saying to "write it up as him buying a (expletive) clutch," while saying another part failed under warranty so that General Motors would pay for its replacement.

Clark says he's taken his evidence to the dealer and Chevrolet customer service; the dealer offered to reassess the damage or take the Camaro as a trade-in on another car, but refused Clark's demand to buy the car back. Clark says Chevrolet customer service washed it hands of the problem, saying it was an issue between him and the dealer. As of the last update, the car's smoked clutch remains untouched.

Unfortunately for Clark, there's few other steps he can take that don't end in court. Dealers are regulated by states; Clark can file a complaint with South Carolina officials, but even with an audio recording the assessment of damage isn't so clear-cut as if the mechanics had wrecked it on a test drive. Instead, other Camaro owners have taken up the cause, posting Clark's video to the dealership's Facebook page and otherwise making noise about the problem.

You can hear the entire exchange, including the profanity, here. A lawyer for Best Chevrolet, in a request to Yahoo Autos to take down this story, told us in an email that the audio was "misleadingly edited." Clark has said the dealership has threatened to sue him over the audio, but has also spoken with him about buying the Camaro back. The dealership may soon learn that in the Internet era, one burnt clutch can create quite the stink.

UPDATE: General Motors says in a statement that if the recording is valid it does not condone the behavior described, and that it is "actively working closely with the dealer to resolve this situation to the customer's satisfaction."
Old October 13th   #2
HDP 7
HDP 7
has rotary powah!!!

Send a message via AIM to HDP 7
Unfortunately, we have a few places like that local...

I have been changing my oil in my vehicle since I puchased it. Well, once I had plans to travel out of town and didn't have time to change it, so I took it to the local Jeep dealership. Got my oil changed and was on my way. During the trip, I stopped to fill up with gas again and I usually check my oil every time I fill up. I happen to glance down behind the radiator fan and notice a blue STP oil filter... hmmm, the same brand I used when I last changed my oil. I pull my invoice out of the dash and it stated oil filter $XX.XX. Odd, never knew of any dealership to use an aftermarket part especially when there's an OEM part that they actually carry. So as I'm sitting at the gas pump, I call this Jeep dealership and ask what brand oil filter do they use for their oil changes, he says "Mopar oil filter". I asked do they use another brand if it's out of stock? He chuckles and says, "No, if came with a Mopar filter, we will put one back on". And I thought to myself, or perhaps put the same one back on for those unaware. Then it dawned on me, how many people take their cars in for oil changes and are charged for something they didn't receive. Those f*ing crooks!!!!
So the following Monday after my trip, I return to the Jeep dealership with invoice in hand and pointed out I was charged for an new oil filter but still had the same oil filter I installed 4 months ago. The service adviser's eyes grew wide when he saw the blue poking out rather than the white Mopar filter that comes standard that couldn't be recognized whether it was new or used. I then said to myself, "Time for a little fun". I raised my voice a few decibels and asked "Now how many people come into this dealership with Mopar filters and leave with the same filter but are charged for a new one?"
Needless the say, I received a refund and another oil and filter change. I suspect it was to hush me from ruining their gold mine. I probably should have made a bigger stink about it and involved the BBB.
87 Mazda RX7 TII (drag car)

"When it happens I won't even notice... I'll be too busy looking good!"
HDP 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th   #3
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Well, I may be small but can have a very big mouth. Word of mouth with family, friends and other customers can hurt a business. Write letters. I have been in the legal field since 1972 and know where to turn and what to do. In other words, I would kick A@@ and don't back down until I get what I feel is fair and reasonable. Or at least cause a lot of trouble trying!!!

Many years back I had an issue with some repairs that I felt were not needed to my daily driver, and demanded the old parts that they say were taken off or replaced. They said taken out with the trash. I stated if you cannot produce the old parts, I do not pay for the alleged new ones. I took the invoice, wrote my side of the events, opinion & suggestion, paid the part of the invoice I believe was correct and asked for the key. They would not give. But I had the 2nd key. Got in my car and left. I had enough documentation and was prepared to go to court. Never heard from this repair place again. So at that point I assume they were wrong and knew it.

Do not let these repair businesses taken advantage of you, walk all over you, charge you for items or service you did not receive, or treat your loved rides that trash.

My two cents!!!
coupemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th   #4
racinfast002
racinfast002
ROLL TIDE YALL!

There is a reason no one touches my cars but me and close friends.
1999 F250 Crew Cab Coal Smoker on 37's
1999 Formula Fastech 271
1984 Mustang Hatch Turbo
1984 Harley Davidson Sportster 1000 Ironhead
1969 Chevy pickup the keeper
"Straight tracks are for fast cars. Curvy tracks are for fast drivers."
racinfast002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th   #5
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinfast002 View Post
yes but if you have a new vehicle with all the computor driven accessories you can not determine what is wrong with it without another computor to hook up to ,.. i cant fix anything if it aint got a carb on it .when my toyota gives me grief i`m at the mercey of a shop ..
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th   #6
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinfast002 View Post
^^this.
HPEVOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th   #7
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

They would buy the car back and get me a new one. When the media really gets ahold of this GM will handle it and cave
Old October 14th   #8
HDP 7
HDP 7
has rotary powah!!!

Send a message via AIM to HDP 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
yes but if you have a new vehicle with all the computor driven accessories you can not determine what is wrong with it without another computor to hook up to ,.. i cant fix anything if it aint got a carb on it .when my toyota gives me grief i`m at the mercey of a shop ..
That's where networking and sites like this come into play to find the best places and people to help you...
87 Mazda RX7 TII (drag car)

"When it happens I won't even notice... I'll be too busy looking good!"
HDP 7 is offline   Reply With Quote