Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old January 7th   #1
ginia
ginia
Roll Tide Roll!!!

Photo locations?

Where are some good photo spots in Madison and Huntsville? I drove around today near County Line Rd and towards the airport and didn't really find much.
ginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th   #2
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

what are you looking for ? .. i personally like backgrounds that kind of take away from the vehicle .. i want the car to just be a part of the shot more so than the focus of it ..
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th   #3
ginia
ginia
Roll Tide Roll!!!

I should've mentioned that lol. I love old rundown buildings. Any structures. Bridges. I'm the same as you....liking the car to be a part of the picture, not focused on one thing. Are there any really low traffic roads around? I've thought about going downtown, but I don't know of good areas for clearish pics and nice views. Where is that bridge?

Last edited by ginia; January 7th at 05:44 PM.
Old January 7th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

There's several great places downtown as well as places just outside he city.

What type of shot do you want? If you post a example of what you'd like, I can recommend a place for the shot.
Old January 8th   #5
GrantH
GrantH
aka GrantYoungPhotography
Huntsville Car Scene Staff

A good photographer can make any background work

With that said...drive around Decatur.
GrantH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th   #6
ginia
ginia
Roll Tide Roll!!!

I like pretty much anything, but old rundown buildings, bridges, downtown, are all my favorite type shots. I like the bridge shot Hoss posted. I'm just tired of doing open field shots. And. I have no dslr YET. It's definitely going to be a purchase once I find a job though. I only have my phone (eh) and a Kodak digital. I've already hit up NASA lol. I may go back since she's lowered though.

Last edited by ginia; January 8th at 07:52 AM.
Old January 8th   #7
ginia
ginia
Roll Tide Roll!!!

Are there good spots at the drag strip in Harvest, outside of the track of course since they're closed? I've never been
Old January 8th   #8
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginia View Post
Are there good spots at the drag strip in Harvest, outside of the track of course since they're closed? I've never been
Not really.
Old January 8th   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantH View Post
A good photographer can make any background work

With that said...drive around Decatur.
So true, and with any equipment.

Decatur has a lot of the industrial looks you're talking about.
Quote:
I like pretty much anything, but old rundown buildings, bridges, downtown, are all my favorite type shots. I like the bridge shot Hoss posted. I'm just tired of doing open field shots. And. I have no dslr YET. It's definitely going to be a purchase once I find a job though. I only have my phone (eh) and a Kodak digital. I've already hit up NASA lol. I may go back since she's lowered though.
Some smaller towns like fayetteville may have some stuff you like. And don't worry about not having a dslr. I don't have one either.
Quote:
There's a few good spots for panning shots, but that's about it.
Old January 8th   #10
LastChance
LastChance

Elkmont Alabama has some old buildings. Also there are some old metal bridges in southern TN giles / lincoln counties that are still passable and cool. Also there are many railroad tunnels that are still accessible. need to set up a cruise to these places and take pics.
LastChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th   #11
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

cruise up winchester rd to elora tenn .. lots of old structures there ..
some of the dirt roads have nice tiny bridges you can get a shot on or near ..
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th   #12
ginia
ginia
Roll Tide Roll!!!

I'm gonna go to a few of the locations yall mentioned when the sky decides to stop falling, so hopefully next week. I ended up going down some road next to the airport on County Line that is completely dead and took some shots. So many fields/crops in Madison lol
Old January 17th   #13
k9racer
k9racer
has no status.

A few I have used. 303 williams street on the lower side. It has nice trees and a great brick wall back ground..................................... Any where that has the space and rocket center in the back ground is great................................. In front of the Redstone / V2 rocket on the corner of airport road and the southwest side of the parkway.................. See Randy at the Military Museum located at the old airport .he has a junk yard with airplanes and old army trucks/jeeps...................Another great location is below the Whitesburg bridge. .................................You can have great contrast by using the front of all the closed stores at haysland square. Old town in Hartselle or Decatur lots of good looking old store fronts for back grounds.. Any where around the park on each side of drake avenue.. The over looks on Monty sano have great back grounds year around.................. I think I will stop if you want more I will post later.. Good Luck..
k9racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th   #14
ginia
ginia
Roll Tide Roll!!!

Oooooo I'm gonna have to go the Military Museum for the junk yard. I loove old planes. Especially WWII stuff He just let you back there?
Old January 18th   #15
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9racer View Post
A few I have used. 303 williams street on the lower side. It has nice trees and a great brick wall back ground..................................... Any where that has the space and rocket center in the back ground is great................................. In front of the Redstone / V2 rocket on the corner of airport road and the southwest side of the parkway.................. See Randy at the Military Museum located at the old airport .he has a junk yard with airplanes and old army trucks/jeeps...................Another great location is below the Whitesburg bridge. .................................You can have great contrast by using the front of all the closed stores at haysland square. Old town in Hartselle or Decatur lots of good looking old store fronts for back grounds.. Any where around the park on each side of drake avenue.. The over looks on Monty sano have great back grounds year around.................. I think I will stop if you want more I will post later.. Good Luck..
What a list!
Old January 18th   #16
mactography
mactography
would rather be out driving.

If you're wanting a small road trip there are some interesting locations in the Muscle Shoals.

- Old and 'New' downtown Florence
- Sheffield's downtown
- Tuscumbia's downtown

I'd give more specific locations over that way but I haven't been driving over there much since when I was in school there a few years back.

Edit: Just realized you said Madison and Huntsville areas.. ah well, the list k9 put together is excellent too. I really like the Monte Sano / Green Mountain area. (Especially in the fall!)

Last edited by mactography; January 18th at 09:25 AM.
mactography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th   #17
Jimmy Upton
Jimmy Upton
Free Range Photography

Mact, spill the beans ! i would like to know locations !
Jimmy Upton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th   #18
mactography
mactography

I haven't lived in the Shoals area since 2009, BUT I'm going to try this based on memory.

I'll preface this by saying I sadly haven't kept my photography equipment as updated as I'd like (dang wasted photography degree!) which is also why I haven't scouted locations as often. That being said...

Florence:
Their downtown area at night gets pretty empty on the weekdays and could make for some cool shots. They also have a good selection of railroad tracks as well as an older station near the 'old downtown' area. If you're familiar with the area it's near the stadium. For reference I'll give you exact terms to search on google maps if you want street views

- Court Street, Florence, AL (This is the main road of downtown Florence. Specifically the intersection of Court and Mobile. If the Chicago Cafe is still there they have good food. Heck, Ricatoni's or Legends are pretty good too)

- Staggs Grocery, Huntsville Road, Florence, AL (Right around this area there are train tracks and some older buildings)

- Wildwood Park Road, Florence, AL (Be careful not to be misled by this one. It won't pinpoint Wildwood Park, but it's in the vicinity if you put this into Google Maps. There's a handful of county roads in this area to utilize. I can't be really descriptive on this area because I hadn't been there since 2009. When I visit the area nowadays I rarely go sightseeing. It used to be a nice area for photos.)

- I'd throw in the Natchez Trace but there's so many locations there up and down (especially since it stretches across I think 4 states) that I'll just throw out the name but no individual places.

Muscle Shoals:

-Wilson Dam Highway, Muscle Shoals, AL (There are a couple of areas you can pull off along here that would offer good scenery if you're wanting to utilize nature instead of buildings. As the name implies it also goes right over the Wilson Dam. During the day it used to be pretty lax traffic and at night you could probably set up some interesting shots if you're good at working with light composition)

Sheffield:

-Ashe Blvd, Sheffield, AL (This road runs up into one of the entrances for the TVA nature trails in this area.. it's also a pretty good hike if you're into that. Good nature shots. I can't promise that for this time of year!)

Disclaimer: I'm going to edit this post as I go. I'm sitting here trying to piece together locations from memory and doing my best with Google Maps. Not every spot is amazing but I think they all have their merits. Interesting shots can be set up in a lot of surprising places. I just wish I had a better camera because with this weekend's weather being awesome I'd love to take a photo journey day just to scout some of these places.
Old January 18th   #19
Jimmy Upton
Jimmy Upton
Free Range Photography

Some of it i have seen ,some not . Still good advise.
Jimmy Upton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th   #20
mactography
mactography

Well, since I can't edit my original post I'll add to Sheffield these two:

- Ritz Theatre: 111 West 3rd Street, Sheffield, AL (This area of downtown Sheffield could make for some cool pictures. Might be good for classic cars)

- Village One: Chickamauga Street, Sheffield, AL (This address is right in the middle of Village One and host to an abandoned school. Last I checked it was at least. Pretty neat area off the beaten path in Sheffield.)

----
I suppose I'll go back on topic for the OP's sake too. I'll try and think of good Huntsville/Madison locations.

Seems the endless farmland in west Madison (Greenbriar Restaurant area?) had been mentioned. Monte Sano and Green Mountain too. I'll try and see what I can come up with.