Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old February 20th   #1
racinfast002
racinfast002
ROLL TIDE YALL!

sears jackstand failure

So I was trying to finish up upgrading my suspension on my jk this afternoon. Was installing the controls arms when all of sudden everything went slomo. Next thing I know I'm getting smacked around in the face generally beat the crap out of by my jeep. After getting out from under I realize that something has gone terribly terribly wrong. A quick survey shows it has jumped off the jackstands. :shock: dang IM LUCKY TO BE HERE is my first thought.

So I shaken up and just had to walk away for a while. Well later I called my father to bring me his jack so I could get mine out from under it and put it back up on jack stands. After we got it back up, I realize it had not tipped over like I thought, but the jackstand failed. How the crap did this thing fail? It was not overloaded, or side loaded, or anything like crazy. Granted it was all the way extended, but this thing is rated for 4 tons. I understood that to be 4 tons no matter what rung it is on. I'm a [s]little [/s] A LOT upset that I almost lost my life to sears jackstand that was being used correctly.

Also there are a good amount of people that want to put the blame on me. Originally I thought I was at fault and it had fallen over because I did indeed have the jack stands extended all the way. But I checked it when I put it up there and it was solid. I always give them a good shake, because I'm always super scared of this happening. I feel like I was not in the wrong here. Sure, there would have been better jackstands for the job, but these failed while being used within their working limits and used correctly.
1999 F250 Crew Cab Coal Smoker on 37's
1999 Formula Fastech 271
1984 Mustang Hatch Turbo
1984 Harley Davidson Sportster 1000 Ironhead
1969 Chevy pickup the keeper
"Straight tracks are for fast cars. Curvy tracks are for fast drivers."
racinfast002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th   #2
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Glad your head and body are intact. That is not good. I have even worse (HF) jack stands. I just cancelled my Sears account last week. Its all made about equal to that HF place now.
Old February 21st   #3
hospowr
hospowr
is enjoying retirement.

...you are definitely living right. I just had my JK up last week using jack stands and like you was installing a suspension lift...you're very lucky! If it were me, I would send those pictures and your write-up to Sears Corporate for their comments.

Also, thanks for posting pics of the jack stand and the incident...I'm going down to the shop and fully inspect my lifting equipment today. This is probably a good warning for all of us that work under our vehicles to use the right equipment whenever we're working on our vehicles...I would be real leery of the cheaper stands on the market today.
hospowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st   #4
RatTrap
RatTrap
-Rat is where it's at!.

Don't let it slide

Let SEARS know about it, take it to the store and keep asking to talk to the next manager up until you get some type of satisfaction.

I had a car roll off a set when I forgot to block the front wheels while installing rear shocks, pinned me underneath for a while until I could
catch my breath and then lift the car high enough to slide out.
RatTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st   #5
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatTrap View Post
Let SEARS know about it, take it to the store and keep asking to talk to the next manager up until you get some type of satisfaction.

I had a car roll off a set when I forgot to block the front wheels while installing rear shocks, pinned me underneath for a while until I could
we've also been talking about this on hsvracing. i think the consensus is he wouldn't get far. The stand was cracked and that it had to be bearing some side load in order to break.

Like i said your lucky.
Old February 21st   #6
b.a.king
b.a.king
old,fat grumpy

gotta ask, how old was that jackstand? if you said i missed it. local sears store is not where you need to start.call corp head quarters,.
b.a.king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st   #7
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

I think a point that several people have missed on this is to inspect your jack stands before using them again.
Old February 21st   #8
ChuckM
ChuckM
MTYMOUS Lives!

Man, that is scary. Glad you are OK. It is troubling to see an application like this using material that appears very grainy and brittle. It obviously has been cracked most of the way through for a long time. As of now I have a policy of checking mine carefully before every use. Even that would not help if it was cracked during manufacture and then dip-painted over.
ChuckM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd   #9
Reckon
Reckon
so...

Glad you are ok. How old are the stands? I would still call Sears Corporate and let them know about it, just to try to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else. There could have been a fault in manufacturing that allowed a hairline fracture to pass through undetected that got larger over time. Who knows why exactly it failed, just glad you are allright!

My car is on stands right now in my garage, though not Sears brand, waiting for me to finish some work on it. I always check each stand before getting to work and occasionally while working...my car is low to the ground and I can't get it very high with my stands so I am always extra cautious.
Old February 23rd   #10
1JZPWRD
1JZPWRD
has no status.

I hate this happened. I would definitely look into this further. It looks like the jack stand was rusty. I never support anything over about 3-4 clicks. It looks like you also had the jack under the front. I also use that as well, just in case of failure. Man, the bottom line is that you are ok, and you are able to post up about it. Thanks for the warning man.
1992 Lexus SC400 also known as "Sleeper", 1JZ swap, BW S366, Built R154, ACT clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MINZ fuel pressure reugulator, AEM gauges, AEM V2 standalone, HKS slip on, HKS BOV, and much more...
1JZPWRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinfast002 View Post
So I was trying to finish up upgrading my suspension on my jk this afternoon. Was installing the controls arms when all of sudden everything went slomo. Next thing I know I'm getting smacked around in the face generally beat the crap out of by my jeep. After getting out from under I realize that something has gone terribly terribly wrong. A quick survey shows it has jumped off the jackstands. :shock: dang IM LUCKY TO BE HERE is my first thought.

So I shaken up and just had to walk away for a while. Well later I called my father to bring me his jack so I could get mine out from under it and put it back up on jack stands. After we got it back up, I realize it had not tipped over like I thought, but the jackstand failed. How the crap did this thing fail? It was not overloaded, or side loaded, or anything like crazy. Granted it was all the way extended, but this thing is rated for 4 tons. I understood that to be 4 tons no matter what rung it is on. I'm a [s]little [/s] A LOT upset that I almost lost my life to sears jackstand that was being used correctly.

Also there are a good amount of people that want to put the blame on me. Originally I thought I was at fault and it had fallen over because I did indeed have the jack stands extended all the way. But I checked it when I put it up there and it was solid. I always give them a good shake, because I'm always super scared of this happening. I feel like I was not in the wrong here. Sure, there would have been better jackstands for the job, but these failed while being used within their working limits and used correctly.
First and foremost, I'm really glad you're okay.

You've got some good pictures. My father's specialty was stress testing stuff like this for Ford when he worked for them. I'll have him take a look at the photos and see what he thinks. There's no question that there was only one side of that beam that was structurally sound. The question is whether it was like this in manufacturing or not. If so, I think you're entitled to some sort of compensation from a legal standpoint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatTrap View Post

I'd do more than that. I'd start with any documentation that came with it and contact them first. I'd also look into product liability limitations and such to see if there's a case there as well. It's crazy to think my friend could have lost his life--then I know there would have been a case.

Thank God you're alright. I had something similar happen when I was helping a friend change wheels on his Subaru and he forgot to set the parking brake. Luckily I noticed it moving and got away before it fell. No damage, but it reminds us how heavy vehicles are and the precautions we must take.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ View Post
we've also been talking about this on hsvracing. i think the consensus is he wouldn't get far. The stand was cracked and that it had to be bearing some side load in order to break.

Like i said your lucky.
But if the crack originated in manufacturing or was sold in that condition, there's probably something to be said for product liability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckM View Post
Man, that is scary. Glad you are OK. It is troubling to see an application like this using material that appears very grainy and brittle. It obviously has been cracked most of the way through for a long time. As of now I have a policy of checking mine carefully before every use. Even that would not help if it was cracked during manufacture and then dip-painted over.
I'm going to check mine as well before using them. Although I'm super cautious with any type of jack or stand and actually do everything in slow motion while watching and listening for anything funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckon View Post
Glad you are ok. How old are the stands? I would still call Sears Corporate and let them know about it, just to try to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else. There could have been a fault in manufacturing that allowed a hairline fracture to pass through undetected that got larger over time. Who knows why exactly it failed, just glad you are allright!
Very good point. This could be one-off, or it could be a batch.
Old February 25th   #12
racinfast002
racinfast002
ROLL TIDE YALL!

I did some reading online there is only a one year limited product liability warrenty on the jack stands. Which seems utterly rediculous, but it appears to cover the manufacture VERY well. Also I asked some lawyer friends if they think I have case and they said because there was no (major) injury to me and no damage to my property from the failure, basically no case. So I guess I just get to thank god that I'm here.
1999 Formula Fastech 271
1984 Mustang Hatch Turbo
Old February 25th   #13
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Yeah, I guess the product liability is out.

My dad just looked at the pics and mentioned that the crack has had to be there for some time since there is rust. When i asked him how we can find a crack like this, he said they usually use a red dye spray and then wash it off and the crack will show in red. He said the dye should be readily available at Lowes/Home Depot.
Old February 25th   #14
///Laid GP
///Laid GP
is excited that show season is here.

That is really scary.

I lost a very, very dear friend to a shop accident about two years ago. He had a bagged Tahoe and it rolled off the ramps and fell on him. So now every time I jack one of my vehicles up I am leery of it. I will definitely look in to that red dye and will be checking my jackstands a lot more carefully in the future.

Glad you are OK.

Raven Black '09 CTS-V - CAI, exhaust, appearance stuff

'01 Grand Prix GT - Bagged, custom paint, too much to list

'95 Silverado - 22" KMC Slide, mild drop, custom paint, 5.3 LS motor sitting on the stand for it
///Laid GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd   #15
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Laid GP View Post
I lost a very, very dear friend to a shop accident about two years ago.

That really sucks. Feel free to add a memorial to him in the memorials forum:
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67
Old June 6th   #16
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Looks like this experience has made others think:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=203224
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=192163
Old June 7th   #17
racinfast002
racinfast002
ROLL TIDE YALL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
Cool! I'm e-famous now!
1999 Formula Fastech 271
1984 Mustang Hatch Turbo
Old June 8th   #18
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinfast002 View Post
Cool! I'm e-famous now!
Someone even made your broken jackstand shot their avatar.

There's also another picture in one of those threads of a stand that broke almost exactly like yours. I wonder what the story was with that one.
Old June 10th   #19
racinfast002
racinfast002
ROLL TIDE YALL!

I saw that, makes you wonder how common it is. It kills me there is only a 1 year warrenty on the jackstands. I guess in order to be legally covered, you'd have to buy brand new ones every year.
1999 Formula Fastech 271
1984 Mustang Hatch Turbo
Old June 11th   #20
Dusty
Dusty
has no status.

Something doesn't look right at the break, looks like they are rusted there like there was a previous crack.

That just looks scary with them extended that far. JMHO
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote