Rocket City Mustang Club
Monthly Meetings
Casa Blanca
Every 3rd Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.

Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Local Group Forums > Rocket City Mustang Club

Rocket City Mustang Club The official forum for the Rocket City Mustang Club, one of the Mustang Clubs in the area

Old January 10th   #1
mgreene
mgreene
has no status.

V8 Pinto pic for Hoss

Hoss,
Found this pic going through some of my old stuff. It was taken at the Halloween Cruise at the Old Airport around 1985 time frame.

Old January 10th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

What was the Halloween Cruise? Obviously it doesn't happen anymore, but maybe that can be changed.
Old January 11th   #3
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

im suprised i dont know that car. i may have been a bit out of the car scene about that time as i was just married and had a child
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th   #4
mgreene
mgreene
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir
What was the Halloween Cruise? Obviously it doesn't happen anymore, but maybe that can be changed.
Used the be the biggest all-make car show in Huntsville. Started out on Monte Sano, moved around to several locations including the Space and Rocket Center, Old Airport. Featured live radio broadcasts, lots of sponsors. Not sure why it died - maybe along with the death of Cruisin' Club and the weekend A&W meets.
Old January 11th   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I heard about the A&W meets. When did the Cruisin' Club die? Why? Where are they now?
Old January 11th   #6
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Send a message via AIM to JayMack75 Send a message via Yahoo to JayMack75
I was at the last A&W cruise in and they said after it was rebuilt that they would be trying to start up the shows again. If they did start up at the current location I'm just not too sure I would want to show up and have all my stuff open in that particular neighborhood. Are there any other A&W's around town? I don't stray from north parkway much.
Old January 11th   #7
Greg G
Greg G
has no status.

A & W cruise in

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMack75
I was at the last A&W cruise in and they said after it was rebuilt that they would be trying to start up the shows again.
Hey JM, Was that the A & W on the corner of Drake, next to the car dealer ? If it is , I think the dealership bought the land and did the tear down and haul off. Seem to remember the place had a major drain plumbing problem, you could tell when you stand on the west side of the place.
Lots of memories there, it was there a while. Remember they would write down the license plate number if you requested root beer in a glass mug. Somewhere I have photos of the last cruise there. I have to scan them, they were taken right before Kodak started offering picture CD's with developing. Mike and Lisa were there. Remember the 4 door '50's Dodge truck ? Nice...
Old January 11th   #8
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Yep, thats the exact one I was talking about. I think its Howard Bentley's place, and he wanted the space to open a used car lot. He owned the land A&W was on, A&W was just leasing the building I think...I'm not 100% sure of the particulars. I have a few pictures from there myself...none of very good quality as they were taken on disposable cameras...it was before digital cameras came out. lol Am I REALLY that old?
Old January 11th   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

So what type of event was it? Who came to it? Who organized it? What would it take to start something like that back up again?
Old January 11th   #10
mgreene
mgreene
has no status.

Right before it closed, David Sharp (in conjunction with the Clarks who owned the A&W) had weekly car shows. They had their own music (David was the DJ and master of ceremonies). They would have contests (water balloon toss, etc.) and 5 or 6 trophies for various classes each week. One of the problems that arose was the interference with the provided music by the inconsiderate "thumpers" in the parking lot. I've noticed this same thing at the Hooter's car shows. When I come to a car show I like to be able to converse with other participants at a normal conversation level, not have to scream!
Old January 11th   #11
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

write louder man . i cant hear you for the thumping
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Seemed like a fun event. So what happenned to David?
Old January 11th   #13
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreene
Right before it closed, David Sharp (in conjunction with the Clarks who owned the A&W) had weekly car shows. They had their own music (David was the DJ and master of ceremonies). They would have contests (water balloon toss, etc.) and 5 or 6 trophies for various classes each week. One of the problems that arose was the interference with the provided music by the inconsiderate "thumpers" in the parking lot. I've noticed this same thing at the Hooter's car shows. When I come to a car show I like to be able to converse with other participants at a normal conversation level, not have to scream!
Yeah, what he said. LoL
Old January 11th   #14
mgreene
mgreene
has no status.

Quote:
Seemed like a fun event. So what happenned to David?
He's working for Boeing now, living on Wal-Triana in Madison - I can get you his email if you'd like to get in touch.
Old January 11th   #15
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I was wondering if he would be interested in starting up such an event again. Seems like everyone had a great time and I think it will be easier to regulate problems like "thumpers" today than back then. We have been talking about a Huntsville Car Scene Cruise-In for a while now.
Old January 11th   #16
PBJ
PBJ
has no status.

David's your man for this kind of stuff. He has all the contacts and knows all the right people and not a bad DJ either. David has been DJing car shows for as long as I can remember.
PBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th   #17
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Does anyone think he'd be interested in starting something back up?

Last edited by Samir; January 11th at 09:48 PM.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th   #18
Art
Art
has no status.

I used to drive up from Cullman for the A&W cruise. I remember that place was CROWDED, otherwise pretty slow.

Seems funny that Birmingham has a huge cruise-in each weekend of the month (Summer) but Huntsville can't seem to support one.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th   #19
mgreene
mgreene
has no status.

Quote:
I was wondering if he would be interested in starting up such an event again. Seems like everyone had a great time and I think it will be easier to regulate problems like "thumpers" today than back then. We have been talking about a Huntsville Car Scene Cruise-In for a while now.
I'll contact him and see if he's interested and if so I'll put him in contact with you.
Old January 12th   #20
Art
Art
has no status.

Maybe contact CBI, see if they'd like to have some input.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote