Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old March 11th   #1
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

RU Faster Than a Redneck?

I just caught this on speed a few hours back. What the heck?!?!? We've got all the right characters to make this show right here in town.

So what does everyone think of it? I actually found it pretty entertaining.
Old March 12th   #2
Reckon
Reckon
so...

I have seen bits and pieces and it is pretty entertaining! I am actually looking forward to a future episode as an S2000 is to be featured against the Rednecks! (I think the episode is on April 8th or sometime around then)
Old March 12th   #3
racinfast002
racinfast002
ROLL TIDE YALL!

I could totally play the rednecks!
1999 F250 Crew Cab Coal Smoker on 37's
1999 Formula Fastech 271
1984 Mustang Hatch Turbo
1984 Harley Davidson Sportster 1000 Ironhead
1969 Chevy pickup the keeper
"Straight tracks are for fast cars. Curvy tracks are for fast drivers."
racinfast002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckon View Post
I have seen bits and pieces and it is pretty entertaining! I am actually looking forward to a future episode as an S2000 is to be featured against the Rednecks! (I think the episode is on April 8th or sometime around then)
What's crazy unfair though is they pit $200k cars vs someone's home-built/modded import. There's an episode with a Lambo on it--now that should be interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racinfast002 View Post
I could totally play the rednecks!
As in be one of them? But you don't have a big enough gut my friend! Or you could probably play them as well if you just hopped up the BMW--and left the wheels pink.
Old March 13th   #5
racinfast002
racinfast002
ROLL TIDE YALL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
What's crazy unfair though is they pit $200k cars vs someone's home-built/modded import. There's an episode with a Lambo on it--now that should be interesting.
As in be one of them? But you don't have a big enough gut my friend! Or you could probably play them as well if you just hopped up the BMW--and left the wheels pink.
As in be one of them! And the bimmer, while on rails, has NO go. Its a sweet driver, but the little 2.5 L isn't enough to push that 4 door at an reasonable rate of speed (for me)
1999 Formula Fastech 271
1984 Mustang Hatch Turbo
Old March 13th   #6
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
Most of those cars on that show are prolly in the 100k range however the track that they run at is not even a good match for what there cars are designed for. The only time they really get to stretch there cars out is on the 2 longer straights. At every other point the cars should be pretty equal.

From what I've seen of the show who ever gets to the first turn wins.
Old March 13th   #7
Reckon
Reckon
so...

^^This...whoever wins the drag race in the opening and gets to the first turn first can usually block the other car and keep the win in the bag. Still entertaining though!
Old March 13th   #8
naikaidriver
naikaidriver
Finally home for a while!

I'm going to have to do some research but it looks like its taking everyday people with their home-built street cars and pitting them against overweight, professional race drivers with undoubtedly professionally built cars.

Most everyday drivers in a C5 Corvette would get their butts handed to them by a pro in a Camry.

Scott
naikaidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th   #9
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post
I'm going to have to do some research but it looks like its taking everyday people with their home-built street cars and pitting them against overweight, professional race drivers with undoubtedly professionally built cars.

Most everyday drivers in a C5 Corvette would get their butts handed to them by a pro in a Camry.

Scott
I could build everything they have had on that show in my own shop using basic tools. I'd simply call DSE (Detroit Speed and Engineering) and have them send me a rolling frame for (insert your muscle car here), order a crate motor from (insert ford, mopar, or gm), do some body work, and put it all together. Granted it would cost about 100k but so far I've seen a Lambo, M6, GTR, and Exige on the show.........not exactly cheap.

Your just sore that YOU ARE NOT FASTER THEN A REDNECK!!!!!!!!!!

Most of my friends think I should host this show. I think me a Justin could do a fine job.......lol.

Old March 14th   #10
racinfast002
racinfast002
ROLL TIDE YALL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ View Post
I could build everything they have had on that show in my own shop using basic tools. I'd simply call DSE (Detroit Speed and Engineering) and have them send me a rolling frame for (insert your muscle car here), order a crate motor from (insert ford, mopar, or gm), do some body work, and put it all together. Granted it would cost about 100k but so far I've seen a Lambo, M6, GTR, and Exige on the show.........not exactly cheap.

Most of my friends think I should host this show. I think me a Justin could do a fine job.......lol.

You know we could! In the post race interviews we could drink natty/pbr/other rednecky beer to add to the entertainment factor!
1999 Formula Fastech 271
1984 Mustang Hatch Turbo
Old March 14th   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Most of those cars on that show are prolly in the 100k range however the track that they run at is not even a good match for what there cars are designed for. The only time they really get to stretch there cars out is on the 2 longer straights. At every other point the cars should be pretty equal.

From what I've seen of the show who ever gets to the first turn wins.
I agree, but the main race one is definitely north of $100k. Those are SEMA cars.

That's a really good observation about the first turn. I didn't realize it, but that was completely true for the episode I saw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckon View Post
^^This...whoever wins the drag race in the opening and gets to the first turn first can usually block the other car and keep the win in the bag. Still entertaining though!
It's really good when the slower car gets this though and then it's driving skill to fend off the faster car. But the episode I saw exemplifies what I think would happen in real life--a Camaro hit a BMW after not backing off into a corner and then the driver of the car literally hit the BMW driver. Things can get nasty quick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post

Scott
I see. I guess this confirms that a gut is a requirement to be a redneck.

I'd like to see the import guys pull a last minute driver switch like a Andretti, Fittapali, Scott Sharp, etc. That would make it really interesting. Most of us that build our imports aren't professional drivers, even with tons of seat time.
Quote:

Yep, the domestics are pretty much bought and paid for bolt-ons cars, but these parts are very, very expensive. Every car I've seen on the show has c7z06/Baer 6-piston brakes all around. That's 8k just in parts the last time I checked.

The import cars aren't cheap, but you haven't seen any 100k Supras on there yet. The GTR in the episode I saw definitely had some serious money in it, but the rest of the cars were only 50% of the 'redneck' ones.

You know, I think we could actually pull off something like this in Alabama--"RU Faster Than an Alabama Redneck?". Have the rebel flag in it everywhere and shoot it down at little Talladega. Production costs would be a bit high with the track rental, but if we charge people to qualify for the final rounds, the track money might come back right there. The question is where to broadcast it. Public access? Direct to Internet?
Quote:
You know we could! In the post race interviews we could drink natty/pbr/other rednecky beer to add to the entertainment factor!
Those would be the out takes, and there's TONS of those when filming just the show part of it from my TopEnd.tv experience. Getting lines right and making it seem natural is a lot harder than it seems.

If both of you are coming to the Dyno Day, why don't we experiment with trying to make a 'show' out of that? I can film your commentary and stage some conversations with car owners and let's see what can be weaved out of that by an experienced editor.
Old March 14th   #12
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Well see what kinda mood I'm in that day. I only let captain American come out from time to time.
Old March 14th   #13
racinfast002
racinfast002
ROLL TIDE YALL!

Yeah thats the problem. I'm pretty neckish as is, but much like Cody, fuel me up on alcohol and my inner (outer) redneck becomes full fledge king of the trailer park.
1999 Formula Fastech 271
1984 Mustang Hatch Turbo
Old March 14th   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Well see what kinda mood I'm in that day. I only let captain American come out from time to time.
Quote:
Yeah thats the problem. I'm pretty neckish as is, but much like Cody, fuel me up on alcohol and my inner (outer) redneck becomes full fledge king of the trailer park.
So what you guys are saying is that you're only 'moonshine rednecks', lol.

You guys aren't redneck enough for 'RU Faster Than an Alabama Redneck'. A show would require 24x7 rednecking rednecks.
Old March 14th   #15
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Your crazy if you don't think that is all an act that show.......lol.
Old March 14th   #16
racinfast002
racinfast002
ROLL TIDE YALL!

Quote:
So what you guys are saying is that you're only 'moonshine rednecks', lol.

You guys aren't redneck enough for 'RU Faster Than an Alabama Redneck'. A show would require 24x7 rednecking rednecks.
My wife would tend to tell me that I'm wrong. She thinks I'm pretty full fledge redneck
1999 Formula Fastech 271
1984 Mustang Hatch Turbo
Old March 14th   #17
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Your crazy if you don't think that is all an act that show.......lol.
It is, but they're really probably rednecks at heart and aren't shy about letting it out on camera--not an easy task.
Quote:
My wife would tend to tell me that I'm wrong. She thinks I'm pretty full fledge redneck
Wives have a way of telling us things, don't they?
Old March 14th   #18
racinfast002
racinfast002
ROLL TIDE YALL!

Quote:
It is, but they're really probably rednecks at heart and aren't shy about letting it out on camera--not an easy task.
Wives have a way of telling us things, don't they?
Yeah, mine nags about all my vehicles...sometimes I have to remind her that they were here first. She hates that.
1999 Formula Fastech 271
1984 Mustang Hatch Turbo
Old March 14th   #19
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Yeah, mine nags about all my vehicles...sometimes I have to remind her that they were here first. She hates that.
I get that too sometimes.
Old March 14th   #20
naikaidriver
naikaidriver
Finally home for a while!

I was just thinking some more about this show and I would like to see;

"Are you Faster than an ACTUAL Redneck?"

Of course the competition wouldn't be very fierce. The ACTUAL Rednecks would be driving 10 year old Dodge Rams or Chevy Silverados.

Scott
naikaidriver is offline   Reply With Quote