Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Old January 27th   #1
carbon_vtec
carbon_vtec
has no status.

Angry cops in H'ville

i got pulled over the other night on university and the cop told me i had improper lights in my headlights.... the lights are jdm yellow h4's and he said if he catches me with them again he's gonna give me a ticket.... but what's up old school lexus and bmw come factory with yellow tinted glass so whats the deal...... and i dont think the yellow bulbs go against any D.O.T laws...if anyone can help me out let me know b/c they are not comin out...... if i get a ticket i'lll just take it 2 court b/c i feel it's just another pull over an import routine.......
carbon_vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th   #2
carbon_vtec
carbon_vtec
has no status.

yellow lights

all lexus is300's come factory with yellow fog lights..... so whats up?????
Old January 27th   #3
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

one thing stickers are good for

put a lexus sticker on your car
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th   #4
carbon_vtec
carbon_vtec
has no status.

yeah

yeah a lexus-vtec
Old January 27th   #5
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

somewhat related storie . 30 years ago when i was fixing the r code mustang . i had a 69 fender on one side and a 70 fender on the other . 70 has one headlamp 69 has two. a county cop tried to rite me up for improper lites till i made him count how many i had. then he understood i was in the process of fixing that. sometimes they just arent car guys
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th   #6
carbon_vtec
carbon_vtec
has no status.

yeah .. tell me about it....
Old January 27th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Alright, here's what you do...

On your ticket, there is a particular section of Alabama state code that he has cited for violation.

Go to the court house and get a copy of that rule. Read it. See if it actually applies and if you were in actual violation of that rule. If you were not, bring that as well as any evidence to your court date indicating that you are not guilty. (Yes, you are guilty until you can prove yourself innocent.)

If you were in violation of that section of Alabama law and the bulbs and housings meet DOT standards, do some legal research and see if state standards override Federal or vice-versa. My bet is that DOT standards overrule state ones. If that's the case, present that evidence during court. I say that arguement is marginal and you may be found guilty anyways. Then you'd have to get an attorney and appeal the ruling.

If you think you have a valid arguement and want a good attorney on your side, I have a recommendation from personal experience. Good luck.
Old January 27th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_vtec
all lexus is300's come factory with yellow fog lights..... so whats up?????
I ran PIAA ion crystal h3 fog lights on my Altima and never had any problems. Amber is probably ok for fogs, but not as driving lights. That may be the case he has against you.
Old January 27th   #9
Munchie
Munchie
is purging all the poo out of his life!

Send a message via AIM to Munchie
Is it your bulb or your housing that is Yellow? Cause I know that on some Golf and Jetta's they come from Europe with Yellow Headlight Housings. In TN the Housings are not illegal but the Yellow bulbs are. I am not too sure about AL though. Just a little info that might help you out.
04 Chevy Trailblazer EXT-family ride
06 Joyner 650 Sand Spider-The Buggy
68 VW Rail Buggy-CNC rail conversion 44" Rear Paddles
85 19ft Bayliner Capri
Munchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th   #10
pvteye
pvteye
has no status.

Under US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 108 and Canadian Motor Vehicle Standards 108 and 108.1, headlamps as originally installed on motor vehicles (and as installed by anyone other than the vehicle owner) must produce white light.

What is "White"? FMVSS108 contains a reference to an SAE standard that defines "white" light in terms of wavelengths. But it's not just one set color. The standard includes a wavelength aggregate RANGE that is considered "white". That's why arc-discharge headlamps, with their decidedly bluish cast, still are considered "white".
much much more here.. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html best lighting info on the web...
04 MystiChrome Vert #423 1 of 495 Verts
K&N FIPK/ BBK Inlet Tube / MagnaFlow CatBack / RWTD Tune / Mac catted ProChamber
445.9 RWHP 417.9 RWTQ SAE Corrected
pvteye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th   #11
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Send a message via AIM to JayMack75 Send a message via Yahoo to JayMack75
This may help

Well here's your local bondsman to provide a little tid bit of information...if this doesn't help out (since its almost 1 am) then check it out for yourself in the AL State Code: http://www.legislature.state.al.us/C...975/coatoc.htm
Section 32-5-240
Required lighting equipment and illuminating devices of vehicles.
(b) Head lamps on motor vehicles.
(1) Every motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, shall be equipped with at least two but not more than four head lamps, with at least one but not more than two on each side of the front of the motor vehicle. The head lamps shall comply with the requirements and limitations of Section 32-5-242.
(Acts 1927, No. 347, p. 348; Code 1940, T. 36, 40; Acts 1949, No. 517, p. 754, 10; Acts 1957, No. 414, p. 577; Acts 1993, No. 93-720, p. 1407, 1.)
Section 32-5-241
Additional permissible lights on vehicles.
(a) Spot lamps and auxiliary lamps.
(2) FOG LAMPS. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two fog lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than 12 inches nor more than 30 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands and so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall at a distance of 25 feet ahead project higher than a level of four inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes.
(c) Additional lighting equipment.
(1) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two side cowl or fender lamps which shall emit an amber or white light without glare.
(d) Special restriction on lamps.
(1) Any lighted lamp or illuminated device upon a motor vehicle other than head lamps, spot lamps, auxiliary lamps or flashing front direction signals which projects a beam of light of an intensity greater than 300 candlepower shall be so directed that no part of the beam will strike the level of the roadway on which the vehicle stands at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.
(Acts 1927, No. 347, p. 348; Code 1940, T. 36, §41; Acts 1949, No. 517, p. 754, §11; Acts 1961, Ex. Sess., No. 136, p. 2062, §3; Acts 1965, No. 815, p. 1522.)

Section 32-5-242
Requirements as to head lamps and auxiliary driving lamps.
(a) Visibility distance and mounted height of lamps.
(1) Whenever requirement is hereinafter declared as to the distance from which certain lamps and devices shall render objects visible or within which such lamps or devices shall be visible, said provisions shall apply during the times stated in Section 32-5-240 in respect to a vehicle without load when upon a straight, level, unlighted highway under normal atmospheric conditions unless a different time or condition is expressly stated.
(2) Whenever requirement is hereinafter declared as to the mounted height of lamps or devices it shall mean from the center of such lamp or device to the level ground upon which the vehicle stands when such vehicle is without a load.
(b) Multiple-beam road-lighting equipment. Except as hereinafter provided, the head lamps or the auxiliary driving lamp or the auxiliary passing lamp or combination thereof on motor vehicles other than motorcycles or motor-driven cycles shall be so arranged that the driver may select at will between distributions of light projected to different elevations and such lamps may, in addition, be so arranged that such selection can be made automatically, subject to the following limitations:
(1) There shall be an uppermost distribution of light, or composite beam, so aimed and of such intensity as to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least 350 feet ahead for all conditions of loading.
(2) There shall be a lowermost distribution of light, or composite beam so aimed and of sufficient intensity to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least 100 feet ahead; and on a straight level road under any condition of loading none of the high-intensity portion of the beam shall be directed to strike the eyes of an approaching driver.
Old January 28th   #12
baggedclips
baggedclips
has no status.
Hasn't Checked Email

if it was me aka super trooper i would have let u go, maybe give you a warning for not having a gsr motor or something
baggedclips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th   #13
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvteye
much much more here.. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html best lighting info on the web...
Very informative site! Good reading.
Old January 29th   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

There's some good information in this thread. If the ticket cites any of the AL code sections posted. I'd take a copy of that and information about light color from the lighting site posted above (has some good arguements about yellow headlights). That would be enough to probably get the judge to drop or no contest the charges. You'll still have to pay for court costs, though. No way around that.
Old January 29th   #15
carbon_vtec
carbon_vtec
has no status.

Smile thanks

thanks fo all the info....... i gonna gather it all up and shove it down thst cops throat..... thanks again..
Old January 30th   #16
baggedclips
baggedclips
has no status.
Hasn't Checked Email

drive a clips and u shouldn't have any problems with the lights.
Old January 30th   #17
carbon_vtec
carbon_vtec
has no status.

clips

i'd rather get hassled by the cops than drive a eclipse.......
Old January 30th   #18
SLOBACK
SLOBACK
passing the torch to my girlfriend?!

amen,brother.
SLOBACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th   #19
baggedclips
baggedclips
has no status.
Hasn't Checked Email

if u drive a clips sometimes u win stuff like money and besides i cant speed in my car its to slow. Whats the problem slo dont like clips?
Old January 30th   #20
k9racer
k9racer
has no status.

I saw a bumper sticker that said ,,,,,,,,,,,,"BAD COP NO DONUT"..............
k9racer is offline   Reply With Quote