Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > What's New

What's New Links to all the event coverage as well as special announcements

Old June 14th   #1
slowjoe24
slowjoe24
.......what do you want to talk about??
Huntsville Car Scene Staff Writer

Corvette Road Trip Anyone??

When you hear those words what kind of feeling comes over you?? Most folks either love to take a road trip or they hate it, there is not much middle ground. For me, I love to take road trips because I love to travel and it gives me an opportunity to see this wonderful country we live in.

So, if we are going to take a road trip we need to discuss a couple of things; first we need to decide what we will drive. Shall we take the family car, the truck, or the classic two-door with the top down? Okay that was not a hard decision……..cruising with the top down is always the best option for a cruise to me! Second, we need to decide where we are going.

Let me tell you about a short road trip that is a must for the car guy. The National Corvette Museum is just up the road in Bowling Green, KY. The museum has recently expanded and renovated it facility and offers Corvette lovers a chance to relive the history of America’s favorite Sports car.

The museum offers over 115,000 sq. ft. to showcase some world famous corvette race cars as well as some very rare production cars, prototypes, and a few one of a kind concept cars. The museum has over 70 Corvettes displayed in period correct settings that transport you back in time. Trust me I’ve been and you don’t even have to own or be a big fan of the Corvette to enjoy several hours in this fabulous facility. The cost is only $10 for adults and children under five get in free and if you are a true fan of the Corvette then don’t miss the gift shop or the café.

Recently there has been talk of the museum expanding again by adding a motorsports park at the facility in Bowling Green, KY. If it is built this motorsports park could offer the chance for the museum to host track-day events. I’m sure that the track would offer some type of performance driving schools and possibly the opportunity to attract some racing action from the various racing organizations around the country.

Before you leave the area, you also need to do your best to plan a tour of the Corvette Assembly plant. This one of a kind tour gives you an opportunity to walk through the plant were the cars are being assembled and watch as the Corvette travels down the line getting all of its parts put on one piece at a time. (Wait……..Johnny Cash sang a song about this right?? You look it up!) Like I said earlier, I’m not a Corvette guy but I promise you this, no matter if you are a Ford/Chevy/Mopar fan, you will leave the plant wanting to own a Chevy Corvette! I’ve tried but it’s hard to explain……just seeing the car come to life and become a completed work of automotive art. One highlight for me was when you reach part of the tour when they fire the engine up…….whew, sometimes they even pull someone out of the crowd and let then crank it up for the first time! Then just when you think you have seen it all, they pull the car off the line and wheel it into a dyno room where the car is taken through the gears and revved up to 100mph.

I hope the next time you are on a road trip in the Bowling Green, KY area you will have time to stop in and check it out the Corvette assembly plant and/or the museum. The plant offers public tours Monday – Thursday at specific times. For more information on these must-see tours visit their website at www.bowlinggreenassemblyplant.com
slowjoe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th   #2
slowjoe24
slowjoe24

Just curious.........who has been to the museum before?? Did you like it??
Old June 23rd   #3
ITSFAST
ITSFAST
---BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowjoe24 View Post
I have. But wait till the plant is back open and do them both at the same time. The plant tour is much more interesting and it makes for a much more worth while day trip. (the plant is basically across the street from the museum)

I'll be going again in the fall of 2013. That's when they are set to re-open.
Old June 23rd   #4
slowjoe24
slowjoe24

I think I agree.......doing both makes for the total excitement!!! Why was it closed??
Old June 24th   #5
ChuckM
ChuckM
MTYMOUS Lives!

Would like to do that trip in my "Country Corvette" (the 51 Chevy pickup) but not until I can get the overdrive trans installed and checked out. 2900+ RPM to do 60 MPH stresses me. My son in Nashville just did his 55 pickup, and is singing the praises. Guess I need to get on it.
ChuckM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th   #6
VetteNut
VetteNut
has no status.

Quote:
Been to the museum but not the plant...VERY interesting. Especially if you're into corvettes
VetteNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th   #7
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
I think I agree.......doing both makes for the total excitement!!! Why was it closed??
They are currently revamping the assembly line to start production on the C7, which I'm sure is already done but they don't want the public to see the new body style just yet.

Last edited by EvilZ; June 25th at 08:28 AM.
EvilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th   #8
slowjoe24
slowjoe24

OK that's a good reason!!